Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 03:00 AM

420 posts, read 470,040 times

Advertisements

I noticed if I rented a Uhaul they also charge how much miles I put in their moving truck, plus per day, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 06:01 AM

902 posts, read 863,454 times
Have you ever paid for a professional move? Typically they charge by the pound. Forgot to empty your trash can? No proplem, your trash will arrive at the destination safely and professionally packed.

Professional movers charge a lot of money. Huge.

Even on cross country moves, I've always found Uhaul to be cheaper. My last move I did was only 15 miles. I hired the movers off of the link on Uhaul.com. They packed my Uhaul and then followed me to the destination and unpacked it.

If you are moving long distance, you can hire two crews, one at each end.

A family member of mine thought that was too much work so she hired a professional moving company. My cost for Uhaul, mileage, movers, and tip was $600-700 for a 2 bedroom house. My family member's total for a 3 bedroom house with slightly more stuff; $6000. We both had relatively short moves across town.

Yeah, almost 10 times as much.

My suggestion is to get a bigger Uhaul than you think you think you need so that you are only making one trip. The mileage charges are the profit center for Uhaul. The bigger truck will also allow the movers to work faster (saving you money).

Old 03-31-2017, 10:20 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfires View Post
Have you ever paid for a professional move? Typically they charge by the pound. Forgot to empty your trash can? No proplem, your trash will arrive at the destination safely and professionally packed.

Professional movers charge a lot of money. Huge.

Even on cross country moves, I've always found Uhaul to be cheaper. My last move I did was only 15 miles. I hired the movers off of the link on Uhaul.com. They packed my Uhaul and then followed me to the destination and unpacked it.

If you are moving long distance, you can hire two crews, one at each end.

A family member of mine thought that was too much work so she hired a professional moving company. My cost for Uhaul, mileage, movers, and tip was $600-700 for a 2 bedroom house. My family member's total for a 3 bedroom house with slightly more stuff; $6000. We both had relatively short moves across town.

Yeah, almost 10 times as much.

My suggestion is to get a bigger Uhaul than you think you think you need so that you are only making one trip. The mileage charges are the profit center for Uhaul. The bigger truck will also allow the movers to work faster (saving you money).
This!

Old 04-01-2017, 08:29 AM

7,519 posts, read 13,628,157 times
is it cheaper to pay a moving company than moving on my own?

Would U-Haul, Penske, UPack, PODS, etc even be in business if it was cheaper to use a full-service mover ?

Old 04-01-2017, 08:53 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
"Is it cheaper to pay a moving company than moving on my own?"

No. Is it worth the extra expense? Hell yes.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:21 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
"Is it cheaper to pay a moving company than moving on my own?"

No. Is it worth the extra expense? Hell yes.
Not worth it if it's thousands of dollars more.

Old 04-02-2017, 10:31 AM

5,654 posts, read 6,219,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Not worth it if it's thousands of dollars more.
That depends. I agree wholeheartedly with Scoobysnacks. I've done it both ways, and a moving company is definitely cheaper, but FOR ME, definitely worth it. My job invovles long hours and Ivolunteer a full day out of every week, so I don't have much discretionary time. Movers come in and pack you up in a day or less, you don't have to worry about the stress of driving a big truck, it all gets unloaded and furniture placed where you want it. Now that I have done it both ways, so long as I can afford it, I will pay for movers. But that is because of my personal situation where time is at a premium, plus where I live I don't have a ton of friends to tap like I did back home, etc. But for someone who has more time, etc. how much more the cost is will obviously impact whether it is worth it.

Old 04-02-2017, 10:35 AM

130,339 posts, read 12,112,869 times
I priced out U Haul & got moving quotes, for our 200 mile move. Due to the high cost per mile of a U Haul, it worked out just as cheap to hire movers for our furniture. The clothes & small stuff we took in several car trips. You will have to get a few quotes & find out for yourself. Some moving companies have online quote systems, where you enter your furniture etc. WE junked alot of our older furniture as it was not worth it to pay for it to be moved, Cheaper to buy new in the new town.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:23 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,367 times
I've moved plenty in the last 5 years. Each time i packed my own stuff (1bed1bath apartment), and hired Atlas Van Lines to move me from door to door. They provided me with a quote that was fairly accurate and I didn't pay until my items were delivered. They were super quick and efficient. In fact, on of my relo's (700 miles) the driver showed up to my new apartment before I did lol. The longest move I made was from DFW to CLT and my invoice was less than $3,000. I can't imagine loading/unloading a U-Haul and driving that fume-y, gas gusler myself. Hiring movers is so worth it.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:05 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Depends. How far, etc. You haven't given any details.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues