Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 01:48 AM

420 posts, read 469,738 times

Advertisements

Personal belongings like clothes, electronics, musical instruments, etc. Nothing like furniture or appliances. Or maybe I could have a hitch installed on my car and rent a small trailer cargo? How about those rooftop storage cargo, are they good for storing things?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
Just how much stuff are we talking about here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 08:55 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quality rooftop carriers are expensive (Thule probably gonna run $500+ and can't be installed on all vehicles). We bought a cheap soft sided one for a quick trip and if it rains, the interior will get wet. The hard sided ones can be locked, but not sure I'd want to store expensive items up there for any length of time, particularly instruments which may not cope well with changes in climate.

Instead of using PODS, which can be expensive to store, rent a storage unit in LA. These places are cropping up like cockroaches everywhere, and many will give you one month free or for a dollar. Your movers can offload the stuff right into the unit for you, then you can unload it at your leisure when you are ready. My sister and parents both put their stuff in storage when they moved here to NC. Think it was less than $50/month. This was furnishings for a full house. You can get a really small one for your stuff.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:27 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
A POD tyoe thing you can have it held at the destination. You can ship via Fedex and have them hold at location, then you go to the store and get your stuff.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:25 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
If you ship ia greyhound, they will hold it at the receiving station for a period of time. Ask or look it up. not sure if it is a few days or a month.

Old 07-27-2017, 02:01 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,625,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethnicappalachian View Post
Personal belongings like clothes, electronics, musical instruments, etc. Nothing like furniture or appliances. Or maybe I could have a hitch installed on my car and rent a small trailer cargo? How about those rooftop storage cargo, are they good for storing things?
What kind of car?

This kinda sounds like a lot of stuff to pay postage on. The trailer is the route I would go, assuming you're car can tow a reasonable trailer.

If your car can't tow a trailer or you have no interest in ever towing again check the price of buying a hitch and renting a trailer vs renting the smallest truck Uhaul, penske, etc. will allow you to tow a car dolly with.

I'm assuming hitch, install and wiring will be a couple hundred bucks. Might be cheaper to go with the rental truck. It'll drink more gas but after 12 moves in my life, trust me, you have a lot more stuff than you think!

And most importantly with a trailer, SLOW DOWN! Especially if you've never towed before. On the highway you'll start to feel confident, right up until the trailer that's wider than your car creeps over the white line, hits the rumble strips and snaps you out of your bubble of comfort.

I saw a family w/ a uhaul trailer behind a KIA SUV do 3 donuts on I-40 then shoot off the interstate, through a fence, across a frontage road and into a ditch backwards because of this exact scenario. I was in a loaded 26' penske box truck towing a car as they passed me around 80MPH. She was going WAY too fast. If they started their spin 50 feet sooner I have no doubt they would have been too close for me to slow down and their kids would probably be dead. That box truck would have not been able to slow down fast enough, it was everything I could do to prevent hitting them as it was.

The driver was really scared and upset, as she should have been after such an incident. But they crashed in front of a former firefighter and my former paramedic now RN wife and fortunately none of them were hurt. They shouldn't buy any lotto tickets, they used up all their combined luck right then!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues