Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 06:04 PM

6,357 posts, read 4,175,527 times

Advertisements

Not sure what they thought before meeting us but;

We moved from NY to SW Virginia several years ago and after being in the house on the second night here, unsettled and without furniture, the door bell rang. I answered the door and the neighbor across the street was standing there with two trays of food for us. He introduced himself briefly and left. A few days later on the weekend, the neighbors on both sides of our house welcomed us, brought us a plant and introduced themselves and their children to us.

New to Virginia with two cars with NY plates and we received a really warm welcome into the neighborhood. Needless to say, we have great neighbors on all three sides of us!

Last edited by Rickcin; 02-08-2019 at 06:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 08:00 PM

6,854 posts, read 4,850,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
Like when you park in your driveway, they can see your license plate and obviously know what state you are from, unless you got your license plate changed beforehand or if you moved in state.

I get all these weird fantasies about what futures neighbors are thinking about me without actually seeing me. For example, I daydream of a day when I move from NJ to NM (which I want to do after college hopefully) and I wonder what people will think of me when they see a car with a NJ license plate and with my rented U-Haul truck. They will be like, "Uh-oh, my neighbor is from NJ, they are probably rude and grew up off the Parkway and they probably can't drive well!" or they might be like, "Wow moving from the Mid-Atlantic to the Desert Southwest was a great decision for them. They probably hated the climate and the scenery back in NJ!"
Uh.... people from NJ can't drive? I didn't know that. Parkway? Is that a highway or something? What little time they spend thinking about getting new neighbors probably won't involve either of those things. People are usually pretty wrapped up in themselves to think much about strangers.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:24 PM

10,890 posts, read 7,373,369 times
I just moved to Arizona with Minnesota plates. I'm not from Minnesota, but my car is.

I've met several neighbors. Some asked about the plates, some didn't. They were all curious about what we were like, and didn't seem to have prejudged us.

The southwest gets a lot of snowbirds from the cold states, so your plates might not be a great novelty.

And what's the Parkway? That might be well known in NJ, but not so much way out west.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:41 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times
In my experience, if it's a really small town, yes, they will be wanting to know everything about you. In the city, someone might casually think, "huh, a New Jersey plate," and then immediately start thinking about something else.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:38 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,949,985 times
The first thing our new neighbors wanted to know was if we were going to raise the roof of our garage so my van (9'6" tall) would fit in there.

I had to say that we are not. I hate to think how much that would cost.

Old 02-09-2019, 01:07 AM

1,845 posts, read 3,938,662 times
When we get new neighbors, mostly we are just hoping they will mow the lawn, not get involved in obvious illegal activities, and not have loud parties late at night on week days. We couldn't care less about the state on their license plate. It's 2019 and there are a lot of out-of-state plates around.

Old 02-09-2019, 01:31 AM

775 posts, read 776,015 times
We moved to another neighborhood a year ago. I put some mini bottles of champagne, some chocolates and some lemons from the tree in our old house in a gift bag with an intro letter, and delivered them to homes near us. We had people coming to our door to welcome us! A year on, we have made friends with some, get eggs and fruit from another, and cooperation when out house was damaged by an accident. Don’t wait for them, they are busy. It’s worth it.

Old 02-09-2019, 02:38 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,444,730 times
Welp, the moment any of us see an NJ plate hitting our area, we buckle up! So take it from there as to what we think of such coming into our state to reside. Its a huge learning curve for them to learn manners and be neighborly.

I do recall being a young couple with two little ones moving into a predominantly Adult neighborhood. That was actually Fun! The kids loved being doted over. Folks were welcoming fortunately.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:41 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,831,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
Like when you park in your driveway, they can see your license plate and obviously know what state you are from, unless you got your license plate changed beforehand or if you moved in state.

I get all these weird fantasies about what futures neighbors are thinking about me without actually seeing me. For example, I daydream of a day when I move from NJ to NM (which I want to do after college hopefully) and I wonder what people will think of me when they see a car with a NJ license plate and with my rented U-Haul truck. They will be like, "Uh-oh, my neighbor is from NJ, they are probably rude and grew up off the Parkway and they probably can't drive well!" or they might be like, "Wow moving from the Mid-Atlantic to the Desert Southwest was a great decision for them. They probably hated the climate and the scenery back in NJ!"

I guess the big question is, why do you care what other people think ?

Old 02-09-2019, 09:44 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,187,808 times
I now live in Florida and I can tell you they still don't know how to drive or be courteous!

I'm not from NJ, thank goodness but I know what a Parkway is, I think, because we have some up in Mass. A Parkway is a wider than normal street, usually 2-3 lanes wide, with faster speeds but not as wide or speedy than a highway. A Parkway interconnects suburbs with a city, like the Jamaica Parkway....connects towns south of Boston to Boston. Like driving a "back road".

Then we have the Fellsway!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues