Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 06:48 AM

33 posts, read 34,648 times

Advertisements

Financing a car while unemployed is a issue. Renting might not happen without a cosigner since you have no history renting. Buy a cheap used car for cash and find roomates who own dishes and tv so you only need a sleeping mat. Expecting to buy an entire apartment of everything from shower curtain to dish soap will cost more than you can imagine even if you get used furniture. You will also need new clothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 08:48 AM

8,149 posts, read 8,350,911 times
I’m an old lady and don’t believe in crushing any young person’s dreams. In the end, we most regret the things we really did want to do but did not. So, I do think — with 2 suitcases and enough cash — you might consider getting an extended stay hotel room or Airbnb and buying your vehicle there (the taxes are high). You don’t want to rent an apartmeng until you know where your job will be. The traffic there is crazy and you will want to live near the job if you have to go in to the work site every day.

If you can bag a few job interviews ahead of time (explaining you are moving there and will be in the area that week to secure housing) go ahead and set up a couple of weeks in a extended stay hotel and take Uber to your interviews or lease a car for a couple of weeks. Maybe do this for a month. At the end of your set time evaluate your next steps.

A decent Airbnb in Silicon Valley for a month will cost you $1800 - $2K.

Last edited by WorldKlas; 03-15-2019 at 08:59 AM..

Old 03-15-2019, 09:13 AM

7,342 posts, read 4,134,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post

If you can bag a few job interviews ahead of time (explaining you are moving there and will be in the area that week to secure housing) go ahead and set up a couple of weeks in a extended stay hotel and take Uber to your interviews or lease a car for a couple of weeks. Maybe do this for a month. At the end of your set time evaluate your next steps.
I totally agree with WorldKlas. DO A TRAIL RUN. Set up a few job interviews. Living in an extended stay and take uber around.

Why not contact to head hunters or recruiters while home? Companies in the process of hiring don't care where you live now. Living outside of local area will not hurt your chances

Companies don't hire immediately. There are weeks of interviewing all the candidates. HR has endless discussions about about who to hire. Managers have to be consulted. Along the line, someone will take a two week vacation which holds up the process. It takes time for background checks.

Even if you find your dream job immediately, the start date could be a month later.

Last edited by YorktownGal; 03-15-2019 at 09:34 AM..

Old 03-15-2019, 10:10 AM

11,128 posts, read 9,760,240 times
Just an FYI...most apartments will not rent to you unless you already have a job, and can show that your monthly earnings are 3x the rent. So getting an apartment before getting a job might not be a thing you can do. I wouldn't want you to arrive with just your suitcases and not be able to find a place to live. As an alternative, there are extended stay hotels (with kitchens in the suite) where you can rent for a couple months if you arrive without a job. The benefit there is they are fully furnished with everything you need, including pots and pans, dinnerware, etc.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:19 AM

11,128 posts, read 9,760,240 times
It looks like the cheapest rents are in downtown San Jose in the area with numbered streets. They start at around $1700 for a 1 bedrm. And most will expect first and last months rent, plus a security deposit.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:25 AM

561 posts, read 324,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuminAbdulla View Post
Unfortunately, I do wish I could agree that prices are better here. After searching several car-dealers over KBB/CarGurus/Edmonds I found comparing prices that Florida and California offer 2015-2016 Mercedes Benz C-Class for $18-20K with only 20,000-35,000 Miles. This is great for me because it may give me room to smoothly transition without having to worry about a breaking down car. As for Michigan and Ohio, we sell it for the same price but with around 50,000-70,000 miles. With that being said I also budgeted in Car-Shipping up to $1500 in the matter of an event that I do need to ship a car.
OR.....depending on where in Michigan you live you could also buy a brand new 2019 Chevy Cruze with 315 miles for just under $15,000 instead of a 5 year old luxury class car for $20,000. That's just the first car listed in a random Detroit zip code so it also stands to reason that you could find the same car or similar with the 20k to 30k miles that you are looking at in a Mercedes for probably half that or better. This goes directly to my "wants vs needs" statement. You have no job and in order to secure one you NEED a dependable car yet apparently you WANT a Mercedes. I'm sure a Mercedes is nice but they are not the only reliable car out there and they are more expensive to insure and maintain no matter what city you live in. There's nothing wrong with wanting nice things if you can afford them but until you have the actual steady income to back it up then it's foolish to assume you will always be able to afford wants vs needs. It's great that you believe in yourself so deeply but why in the world would you want to put yourself in more debt than you have to right out of the gate???

Old 03-15-2019, 01:45 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Quote:
Hello everyone! Hope all is well!

So a little about myself! I am 22, living with my parents in lovely, old Michigan. I am a clean, independent individual, and a lover of luxury stuff.

Snip irrelevant, boat-anchor garbage more applicable to old people

I guess when then the time comes what would be the FIRST steps to take?

Could you guys possibly recommend a Step-by-Step as to what needs to be done first so I can transition as easy as possible, my biggest thing I want to avoid is moving back because I had no choice besides to sleep on a street haha.
Deja vu all over again: I was 22 when I blew town, that being Birmingham MI. Eons ago, and curious how times have changed: I had work waiting, in Reno, and my Plan B came through a month after that as-well. Made more money than I ever had in my life, literally, though if I'd known better I'd have known it was bird seed then as now. Perspective!

You're making more than I did, in adjusted dollars. And I had a STEM degree as a professional scientist. I had only a few years of lab experience and internship when I started. I had no work in Michigan, was moving TO a job, so the uncertainty was low. Back then, we relied on letters and phone calls. Cripes, long-ass time ago...Gen X, man.

I'd have been too cautious to move away from that kind of money at 22, though you will figure out eventually there is 2x, 3x available elsewhere all in good time. That will be an option in maybe 5-10 years, if you're decent at what you do. Friend of mine was complaining about $92/hr as a W2 contractor (sr. security expert/advisor), and I suggested he clam up. First World problem, for those w/10+ years in the parts of IT that actually matter (Cloud Dev, Security, couple other areas. AI, ML, IoT is coming at some point...)

No degree, huh? That will bite you, hard, sooner vs. later. You'll see. And you'll be scrambling to finish it, thinking about this thread in C-D the whole time I'm sure and "why, oh why, didn't I complete that check box from a school that wasn't Moo U?". You will, and salary will go from beer money to okay about two days after the ink dries. Then, you'll figure out later you need an MS, or MBA, and not from some ghetto place either. But that's later. Ivy MBA paid off hugely for me, at 39, later than many of my peers age-wise. I'm reaping that now, and have for about nine years.

"How" do you move, LOL. And you actually have real money to do this! I had the equivalent of $5K as backup funds. You should do well, depends how long it takes to find work, and maybe parachute back home if-not. I never did, moved West and never looked back. Step by Step:

STEP 1: Don't overthink the move

Pack whatever **** you have into scraggly old Toyota Camry. It better be reliable. For me, was an '81 Mustang Fox body. Ain't bragging about that, either. That's how much you need to leave with, no more or less. My Mustang was reliable, and your (whatever) should be, too. Mine never blew up, years later, either. Fond memories of Ford, thus...but to the point, you're traveling right. You do NOT need possessions. Have a garage sale, tomorrow, or pack it in the folks' garage (I did some of that, too, pre-move).

STEP 2: A Flophouse

I'd personally move into a rooming house, to do it over again, and I lived in a motel by the week my first month there: Reno, in my case. I winged it, being 22 and not really caring plus being highly resourceful.

STEP 2A: Live like a Vagrant, it Would be Eye-Opening (Seriously)

Since you're traveling light, you have tons of options. Living in the car is one, if you need to. In Silicon Valley, bet you would. I'm guessing life like that with the vagrants can be a hassle, but also strangely liberating other than dealing with mean cops, bums, thieves, and cutthroats. Hey, I've rubbed elbows with all long enough to know I never want to be any of the above, but they're people too. Having lived rags to upper middle class riches, across an arc of 29 years, I'll tell you all about how to live both ways.

STEP 3: Now that you live in a flop house, spend all day, every day, finding a job.

Better have a rock-solid, readable resume and at least one nice sport coat. Buy the latter at the Salvation Army or Value Village (great chain of donated goods here in Seattle area).

You don't need to do anything else if you live in a flophouse or are a vagrant in some parking lot, other than to make sure you don't get robbed (I never was). I'd keep life real simple. If you find a half-decent job, you can move into a scummy place in San Jose area with the vatos or other working class, or maybe better elsewhere. I wouldn't turn up in SV making less than a quarter-mil$, personally, but the equivalent of my house here in Kirkland WA down there in, say, Los Gatos would be $2.5M. Do the math on that mortgage. YMMV.

STEP 4: When you have accepted a half-decent job, in writing, find a half-decent place to rent for a year or two

I found an apartment in Reno for the princely sum of about (adjusted dollars) $600/month, after I had a job with a mining company (in my case) that paid about $50K in adjusted dollars. Worth every penny, too. Not quite scummy, I actually liked it there, and was 50% on the road anyway. Some crapped-out neighborhood is fine, live with the working folks, you'll love it as long as you don't have champagne tastes. I lived in a rodent-infested frat house last 1.5 years of my undergrad so anything otherwise was a major improvement. The new place had no rats. I loved it.

STEP 5: If looks like it might work, consider trading up with whatever equity (if anything) you've managed to squirrel away.

Buy a condo, or continue to rent in a better part of town. I bought a couple places after '99 and did some speculating and leveraging, which paid off handsomely. Alternative income sources help.

I'd also move where the work is. I did that twice more, landing in Seattle where I will stay remainder of my career. After, hard to say.

PITFALLS

No degree: bad in a place and industry where that's a bar for entry. In SV, you're 35 miles from Stanford U. That should tell you something about the competition. Not to mention Berkeley, USC, etc...
No job waiting: you're braver than me, it's a lot tougher now vs. way back when
Walking away from a $50K/year job because Michigan sucks (and yes, it does, compared to West Coast) isn't too clever, I must say. Unless you live in some hole like Kalkaska or Lansing.
Kiss "luxury" anything goodbye for 10 years, you can't afford it. Trust me. Put all that away or sell it to some pawn shop.

DON'TS

Don't bring more **** with you than fits in the lockable trunk and back seat of your jalopy. Period. I wouldn't acquire so much as one stick of furniture from "IKEA" or other dumb stuff for next few years or so. Buy everything at the goodwill or for free from colleagues and other giveaways. My mattress and couch were second hand for more than a decade. I'm just fine. My table was a spool from the power company, varnished and sanded. Rest of my stuff, including TV, was from Craig's List equivalent back then. I tossed the bulk away when I moved to SF in 1991, and that I didn't fit into a Ryder Truck (small one) just fine. By a wide margin, when I moved to SF area from Reno (for a job, in-writing), my most valuable possession was my motorcycle... and my 9mm SIG Sauer P226. Those two things, plus diamonds (portable wealth), are last-option get out of trouble devices, I (correctly) assumed.

Don't do anything stupid like "have a girlfriend" or pets or other anchors, until you're settled in. All that is more nuisance than you can afford, and anchors in life that truly do...not...MATTER. I had nothing, and no one, I could not walk out on in 30 seconds flat until 1995, when I bought a nice BMW used. I was 26. Life was pretty stable by then.

Best of luck!

Last edited by Blondebaerde; 03-15-2019 at 02:06 PM..

Old 03-15-2019, 01:46 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,070,465 times
If you're going to buy a luxury car, esp a MBZ, then don't forget to add in maintenance/repair costs, way more expensive than a Honda (for example). Also, registration for a $20k car will be about $400/yr or so. Not sure, it's been awhile and each car is different. If you have the VIN and kind of know where you'd want to live, you can check here: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...ecalculatorweb

Another thing you can do, I came to OR for 2 weeks and lived in a Extended Stay hotel. I had made sure to get as many interviews before and during that time period. I didn't get any jobs, but at least I was there, living about where I wanted to, experienced the commute time, the area, etc. It was a great little trip that made me push for moving even though I didn't have a job. But I also had a LOT more money than you'll have.

Oh yeah, most apartment complexes won't rent to you without a job or a job offer in hand. Most of them will rent to you if you can pay up front (a year's worth or a set amount) or show that you have enough money in an accessible bank account for the term of the lease

Old 03-15-2019, 02:28 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
May I start with the 401K statement as I love financial analysis & aggressive/passive investing techniques!
A big part of a qualifying job for me would be a good rate 401K. I was looking to maximize my 401K opportunity to grow my portfolio by finding a job in one of those ideal locations matching 10K+ a year.

Unfortunately, I do wish I could agree that prices are better here. After searching several car-dealers over KBB/CarGurus/Edmonds I found comparing prices that Florida and California offer 2015-2016 Mercedes Benz C-Class for $18-20K with only 20,000-35,000 Miles. This is great for me because it may give me room to smoothly transition without having to worry about a breaking down car. As for Michigan and Ohio, we sell it for the same price but with around 50,000-70,000 miles. With that being said I also budgeted in Car-Shipping up to $1500 in the matter of an event that I do need to ship a car.

Furnished rentals tend to cost $2300-$3000/Month average in California, I budgeted a Max Apartment Rent for $1900, and have 3 months of expenses for that.

But I do highly agree with a minimalist idea until I do experience the new life and dip my feet in the water a little.

Very true, but that does that mean with a willingness to learn I cannot achieve what they know besides in my eyes Professional Experience trumps all.

Gotcha. So sounds like I should probably locate a job and get the car first then drive down to California.
And 65K is definitely not an acceptable salary for someone in my field (IS Management). The average salary for an ISM is $85,000 I'd say my minimum salary accepted would be $75,000. But ideally I am aiming for much higher.

Especially with the IT industry booming as I mentioned, there are much more jobs than those securing them, and Sillicon Valley being a hub of technology, I am ready to compete and land that job no matter how long the search is.

I love this, the field is hot haha! But sounds like buying a car first and then throwing my bags in and moving once I got the job sounds like a smart idea. Or I could even ship it there for it and pick it up by Uber what is your thoughts?

Haha definitely something I'll be looking at!

Exactly, it may not be Silicon Valley but maybe the California area I guess, West Palm Beach on the other hand I loved, though it maybe more difficult to find a high paying IT job there. California meanwhile is florouishing with jobs in my field.

IT doesn't focus too heavily on degrees like it used to, they look for more Certifications or Professional Experience

Absolutely not sigh. xD.
IT didn’t revolve heavily around degrees years ago, but California is generally competitive. When many of the better companies have thousands of applicants, of course they are going to go for people with degrees. My family member works at one of the FAANG companies and has a degree from a top CS school, is bilingual, and had several years of relevant experience before starting. Her husband had undergrad and graduate degrees from top CS schools and a postdoc from a top CS school before he started at one of the FAANG companies. He also had work at another top tech company while getting his PhD. Many of their school friends also work at top tech companies. The issue is that you are 22 and have no degree. You are competing against people who are probably a bit older with impressive experience and/or have degrees from well recognized CS/CE schools. Even going for Silicon Beach (LA) is going to be highly competitive.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:22 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
Get the job first, then move. Also, look at the cost of living where you're moving to. Silicon valley is incredibly expensive. Sure, you might see apartments on line that cost less - but take a look at the crime level, and the neighborhood where they are - probably dangerous ghetto shooting galleries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues