Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 12:27 AM

514 posts, read 442,854 times

Advertisements

You are making me rethink the plan. :-)

I checked Penske truck rental and they allow 6 day rental and additional day can be purchased for $100-$200 but their one way rental is not cheap..for 16' truck, it's about $2000 .. there's a 50% discount code advertised on their site but it doesn't seem to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I completely agree. That was SUCH FUN to have "moonlight" swimming. We'd get to the pool and swim when we first got there, do something for dinner, and then swim at night in the dark with the pool lights.

Great memories.

I just read that you're thinking of flying some of the family. You're missing out on an opportunity to see a gorgeous part of the country that your kids may have never seen - West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee and Arkansas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 12:28 AM

Oh well..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
It will be nice and toasty in DFW.

Old 06-13-2019, 06:16 AM

716 posts, read 543,365 times
Se moved from SO Calif to Crawford last year -we used two ABF trailers- they gave us 30 days storage so we pack one with the stuff we needed to live - fluffed up the house - re waiting - pop corn ceiling removal etc and then had the second one delivered a month later

we also repacked our stuff and hired loaders to pack the trailers - when we got to Texas we hired kids to unload -

we shipped one car it cost 800 bucks

Old 06-13-2019, 03:00 PM

7,533 posts, read 4,283,252 times
This might sound crazy, but I know someone who moved from the midwest to Texas by shipping all her family's belonging by US mail, book rate. It was a lot of boxes of books, toys, clothing and pots/pans, etc. She said it was cheaper than using a moving company.

When we moved to and from Texas, we had about a 100 boxes. If it costs $20 per box, then 100 boxes is $2,000?

As ikoolu said:
Quote:
You could even load up the car with the heavy boxed items.

It was an unusual way to move, but it worked for her.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:59 PM

Spoke to ABF customer service, the 28 feet trailer is what they would give for 3 days at the source and then at the destination as well. For 2 bedroom house, they estimate 13 feet and quoted roughly $2779.

ABF recommended Mr Car Shipper for transporting the car. Given the quotes that I'm seeing, there doesn't seem to be much different between renting a one-way truck and using the shipping container method (like ABF movers).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoolu View Post
Se moved from SO Calif to Crawford last year -we used two ABF trailers- they gave us 30 days storage so we pack one with the stuff we needed to live - fluffed up the house - re waiting - pop corn ceiling removal etc and then had the second one delivered a month later

we also repacked our stuff and hired loaders to pack the trailers - when we got to Texas we hired kids to unload -

Old 06-13-2019, 11:01 PM

If one could box up stuff neatly, it could be an option. I read somewhere here on the forums that someone fedexed boxes and it was economical for them. Desperate times call for desperate measures :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
This might sound crazy, but I know someone who moved from the midwest to Texas by shipping all her family's belonging by US mail, book rate. It was a lot of boxes of books, toys, clothing and pots/pans, etc. She said it was cheaper than using a moving company.

When we moved to and from Texas, we had about a 100 boxes. If it costs $20 per box, then 100 boxes is $2,000?

As ikoolu said:

Old 06-14-2019, 06:03 AM

24,875 posts, read 11,330,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post

As ikoolu said:

USPS does randomly open packages de cleared as media mail. You read up on what is considered media mail on their site. Mail fraud. BTW rates have gone up steadily. I just paid 3$ for two paperbacks OK-KS.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:56 AM

Yes, would not even attempt to use media mail for anything other than what USPS considers media. I was hinting at using USPS or other shipping companies (FedEX, UPS etc) for mailing boxes that contain regular household stuff but may come out cheaper vs driving on a truck.

It's really feasible when one has everything boxed up in such a way that boxes are of certain size and make sure that pick up the cheapest, slowest option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
USPS does randomly open packages de cleared as media mail. You read up on what is considered media mail on their site. Mail fraud. BTW rates have gone up steadily. I just paid 3$ for two paperbacks OK-KS.

Old 06-14-2019, 10:17 AM

203 posts, read 154,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamanewuser View Post
Move is likely in September so could possibly get a break from Texas heat. Yes, I'm wary of that and would park in a well lit area. Driving the family would be otherwise but with the young one 2.5 years old, it's not a good idea.

I will call the ABF guys to get a quote and see what they say. Apparently the trailer may be too big for two bed room townhouse. They are little on the expensive side too!
You don't have to use the full trailer. Whatever space you don't use they don't charge you for it - they actually come and measure and wall off your stuff and you put a padlock on it. Whatever space is remaining they use for whatever they have to transport in the direction you are going.

Old 06-14-2019, 10:19 AM

203 posts, read 154,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamanewuser View Post
Move is likely in September so could possibly get a break from Texas heat. Yes, I'm wary of that and would park in a well lit area. Driving the family would be otherwise but with the young one 2.5 years old, it's not a good idea.

I will call the ABF guys to get a quote and see what they say. Apparently the trailer may be too big for two bed room townhouse. They are little on the expensive side too!
It is still hot in Texas in September. It is still hot in November. You go back to summer in February.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues