Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2021, 08:43 PM

3,374 posts, read 1,966,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Do you like living in Florida?
Hubby and I are over the moon with happiness! We love it here and I especially loved finding out that I have a green thumb! Everything I plant grows and blooms with abundance and beauty is everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2021, 09:31 PM

17,366 posts, read 16,511,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
Hubby and I are over the moon with happiness! We love it here and I especially loved finding out that I have a green thumb! Everything I plant grows and blooms with abundance and beauty is everywhere.
That's really great! I'm glad that you are loving your new home so much and that it is working out so well for you. Florida really is a beautiful state with so many pretty areas to choose from.

Old 04-28-2021, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueson View Post
What was your route ? Did you take i40 all the way or change to 287 in texas? which would you prefer?
Our route was very much dependent on which states were open at the time and we had to postpone the move once because one of the states we were driving through was closed. We took 40 all the way into Memphis and stayed overnight. The next day we took smaller routes (the numbers escape me right now) which took us into Macon, GA and we stayed overnight in Macon. From Macon we took 75 straight down into Florida.

Old 04-29-2021, 11:03 AM

11,460 posts, read 5,989,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueson View Post
Were you concerned about theft when staying at hotels, and how did you mitigate the risk? What was your strategy with parking?
I am not the OP, but I also just moved cross country.

Safety is a priority. I made sure to stay in rural/small town hotels and stay out of big cities. Big cities tend to have crime. So I planned for safety.

I did not reserve hotels along the way. Instead, I estimated expected travel distances and then came up with a list of very safe towns to stay in hotels along the way. I used my iPhone app “Crime and Place” to gauge the safety of these locations.

For example, I preferred not to stay in a hotel in Kansas City or St. Louis, Missouri, despite many “safe” ones, I am sure. Instead, I found that Odessa was extraordinarily safe. If I was still fresh and did not want to stop there, I could roll on to O’Fallon instead.

In hindsight, I didn’t need to plan my stops. With my Crime and Place app, all I really needed to do was park at any desired hotel and just check the crime rate from the app. High crime, move on. Low crime, good to stay.

I am talking Property Crime, as I am trying to avoid vehicle break-in or theft. But the Crime and Place app does list violent crime and property crime separately. One tends to follow the other anyway. It is pretty rare for example, to see a 1 violent crime and an 8 property crime. Areas with opportunistic criminals tent to have high crime in both categories.

Old 04-29-2021, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Our route was very much dependent on which states were open at the time and we had to postpone the move once because one of the states we were driving through was closed. We took 40 all the way into Memphis and stayed overnight. The next day we took smaller routes (the numbers escape me right now) which took us into Macon, GA and we stayed overnight in Macon. From Macon we took 75 straight down into Florida.
I took Interstate 80 most of the way to Tennessee for the same reason. More open states. I had no clue what to expect. In the end, I saw no differences between restricted states and unrestricted. Everybody was masked but nobody was asking for papers, please or manning armed checkpoints.

Old 04-29-2021, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I took Interstate 80 most of the way to Tennessee for the same reason. More open states. I had no clue what to expect. In the end, I saw no differences between restricted states and unrestricted. Everybody was masked but nobody was asking for papers, please or manning armed checkpoints.
We were pleasantly surprised too! I've posted before on another thread that the people we met along the way were absolutely wonderful. Total strangers who were so kind and helpful and made the trip such an amazing experience for us.

I'll never forget the police officer who stopped us in Arkansas. We were going a little fast and, after a bit of questioning which satisfied him, told us about the state and the greenery along the highway that was so beautiful.

Old 04-30-2021, 09:12 PM

Quote:
We were pleasantly surprised too! I've posted before on another thread that the people we met along the way were absolutely wonderful. Total strangers who were so kind and helpful and made the trip such an amazing experience for us.

I'll never forget the police officer who stopped us in Arkansas. We were going a little fast and, after a bit of questioning which satisfied him, told us about the state and the greenery along the highway that was so beautiful.
LOL. I almost met some nice officers running a speed trap in Salt Lake City. Fortunately, my father taught me to always watch my rear view mirror AND I didn't happen to be speeding anyway. The white Dodge Charger with the nice Utah Highway Patrol officers stalked me a couple of miles, then pulled off as if to let me go, then slowly came back up on me hoping I was going to speed. But I had no interest in speeding. Eventually they got bored and found some other sucker to ticket. No seriously. A few miles down I parked at a scenic vista parking lot, and in pulled the same white UHP Dodge Charger behind a silver car he pulled over for speeding.

I dodged a bullet in SLC. They wanted me bad. My Dodge Challenger is not that flashy. I don't even have loud exhaust. I have no clue why they were so fixated on me.

All's well that ends well.

Old 04-30-2021, 11:41 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,900,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post

I dodged a bullet in SLC. They wanted me bad. My Dodge Challenger is not that flashy. I don't even have loud exhaust. I have no clue why they were so fixated on me.

It's the Challenger. With all the articles about Hellcats and RTs running wild, every Challenger is suspect. I've had my SXT 3.6 V-6 for a bit less than a year. While I haven't been pulled over (I set the Cruise Control at the speed limit) I've been asked a couple of times if it's a Hellcat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues