Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2020, 06:56 AM

4,005 posts, read 2,080,429 times

Advertisements

Also, your parents insurance may only be good for anyone covered within the state they reside. Once you move out-of-state you may need to return to your parent's home/home state to get full use of their policy, or get your own coverage in CA.

Are you covered under their car insurance too? If so, you might want to let them forward your mail to you (IF they want that responsibility), and not change the plates on your car. Get any inspections and other updates done before you leave the state. If you change the plates and registration to CA, you will need CA inspections, car insurance, etc.

Old 06-07-2020, 09:46 AM

1,841 posts, read 1,490,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Also, your parents insurance may only be good for anyone covered within the state they reside. Once you move out-of-state you may need to return to your parent's home/home state to get full use of their policy, or get your own coverage in CA.

Are you covered under their car insurance too? If so, you might want to let them forward your mail to you (IF they want that responsibility), and not change the plates on your car. Get any inspections and other updates done before you leave the state. If you change the plates and registration to CA, you will need CA inspections, car insurance, etc.
I believe I can still be covered anywhere, however some health insurance plans charge out of state fees for any out of state healthcare.

And for the car insurance, that's the reason why my dad said for me to just buy a car over there. I'd rather have full control over a car. It would also be difficult to be dealing with two people that come from different states.

Old 06-07-2020, 10:44 AM

24,480 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
I believe I can still be covered anywhere, however some health insurance plans charge out of state fees for any out of state healthcare.

And for the car insurance, that's the reason why my dad said for me to just buy a car over there. I'd rather have full control over a car. It would also be difficult to be dealing with two people that come from different states.
You will be a resident of Cali once you move there. Like it or not.

Old 06-07-2020, 08:32 PM

1,841 posts, read 1,490,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
You will be a resident of Cali once you move there. Like it or not.
Well... I suspect I would be considered a resident of CA if I change my address via USPS. And I have to have a residency document to get a license and a car there.

Old 06-07-2020, 10:12 PM

6,815 posts, read 11,534,335 times
Quote:
Well... I suspect I would be considered a resident of CA if I change my address via USPS. And I have to have a residency document to get a license and a car there.
I’m a postal retiree. From the USPS’ standpoint, changing your address proves NOTHING relative to your residency. One does not have to be living at an address to receive mail there.

Do you know any details of your parents’ health insurance? If it’s a limited area HMO, if you’re in California it’s only going to cover the most dire emergencies.

Old 06-08-2020, 06:15 AM

24,480 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
See post # 8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues