Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2024, 07:42 AM

199 posts, read 157,064 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

Our daughter and her husband are planning a move across country from Jax, Fl to 29 Palms Marine Base in California. Instead of the military movers, they have decided to use a UHAUL, tow her little car and drive his car from here to there. I am somewhat anxious to have my daughter(21) trekking across country to California, though her husband is a Marine and we care for him very much, we are hoping he has a plan mapped out for the trek. Has anyone reading this has to drive across the USA with a U Haul and a person traveling behind? I am just concerned because I have not done this before and am just concerned about how the drive may be for them, any advice how to calm my nerves or have a good, safe route for them? Thank you!

Last edited by remirosie123; 04-10-2024 at 08:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2024, 10:13 AM

24,619 posts, read 10,947,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remirosie123 View Post
Hi there,

Our daughter and her husband are planning a move across country from Jax, Fl to 29 Palms Marine Base in California. Instead of the military movers, they have decided to use a UHAUL, tow her little car and drive his car from here to there. I am somewhat anxious to have my daughter(21) trekking across country to California, though her husband is a Marine and we care for him very much, we are hoping he has a plan mapped out for the trek. Has anyone reading this has to drive across the USA with a U Haul and a person traveling behind? I am just concerned because I have not done this before and am just concerned about how the drive may be for them, any advice how to calm my nerves or have a good, safe route for them? Thank you!
They are adults:>)
They are not trekking. they are driving on the US highway system which means gas stations, hotels and whatever other necessities.
You can always drive with them and fly back.

Old 04-10-2024, 10:40 AM

3,381 posts, read 1,977,166 times
Just four years ago my husband and I drove cross country in the opposite direction (to Florida) with three dogs, one of whom was diabetic and required insulin shots twice a day - oh and it was during Covid with multiple places closed along the way and we had to avoid entire states that had lock downs!

I'm not joking when I say that trip was a breeze and very safe! We knew we would be staying at Residence Inns along the way because they allowed our three dogs and RIs always have refrigerators for our dog's insulin. We traveled on major highways, stopped often for the dogs (and us) to pee, and packed a lot of sandwiches and water because we never knew what would be open along the way. The dogs' food was already measured out and it was easy to just grab a ziplock bag when needed.

Our RI in Albuquerque was in a sketchy area but even with obvious moving stuff in our car, we were never broken into. People we met along the way were amazingly wonderful and a lovely police officer stopped us for speeding (we deserved it) but after he saw our three dogs in their kennels and we had a nice conversation about moving, he let us off with a strict warning and his good wishes.

If your daughter has to be in a different car I would suggest that she drive ahead of her husband so that if anything happens along the way like a flat tire or something else, he'll be able to see it and help.

Another scenario with us and a cross country move happened more than thirty years ago. My husband and I moved from NJ to NV with two toddlers. I flew with the kids and my husband and his brother drove a car with a U-haul attached to the car so that cross country move was a bit different from what your daughter is doing. Is it possible for her to fly and have someone else drive the second car? Maybe a buddy of her husband?

Old 04-10-2024, 12:04 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,609 posts, read 81,297,702 times
A friend and I drove from the San Francisco Bay Area to New York State, into Canada, down to Florida and back over 2-1/2 months, 18,000 miles and 44 states, at age 19. Of course that was in 1970 when everything cost less and it was not as crowded on the highways. We have also done a lot of caravanning on shorter trips of 8-10 hours, with other family on vacations. My first suggestion for them is to buy inexpensive but name brand walkie-talkies to stay in touch without illegally using their cell phones. Then make sure they have plenty of extra water, non-perishable foods, blankets, flashlights, maybe engine oil and coolant for the car if needed. Stick to main highways where they can make good time and have plenty of gas stations, restaurants and motels.

Old 04-10-2024, 12:29 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,780,074 times
Much of the driving will be "boring". Listening to audiobooks will help keep them alert.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 04-10-2024, 03:10 PM

23,338 posts, read 18,916,990 times
I've moved across the continental US and eventually back again and drove the whole way alone. Twice. One trip I just drove a loaded car/SUV. The next towing a UHaul. I had new job start dates, so time was higher priority than pleasure. Were my parents concerned? Sure, but they raised a responsible, fairly capable adult. I kept in touch along the way partly to swap stories, hear a friendly voice, and ease their minds.

I had my car thoroughly checked and serviced beforehand, joined AAA, and carried emergency supplies. Packed so weather sensitive things and valuables were easy to bring into a motel room at night. I scouted and planned routes and potential stops in advance so each day's drive wasn't totally exhausting (that's when stupid mistakes happen) and used interstates or major regional highways that offered more services. Sometimes I made advance reservations for lodging, sometimes not. Sometimes I camped. I didn't plan stays in big cities but often a larger town on the outskirts instead.

I listened to local/regional radio along the way (the moves predated cellphones), made regular stops to stretch/rest and was conservative about weather...if the forecast or conditions seemed sketchy, I'd stop sooner or wait it out. Other than weather delays (a blizzard/closed roads in eastern CO, tornado warnings in KS) no real trouble. Met a few friendly fellow travelers too. All in all, though there certainly were tedious sections and a few white knuckle moments, I've never regretted those adventures and have a better appreciation of what the continent is all about.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-10-2024 at 03:39 PM..

Old 04-12-2024, 08:06 AM

10,899 posts, read 4,566,198 times
Boy, my answer changes from 1980 to now...there was once a time where I wholeheartedly pumped people up to do this...

you can get uhaul trucks from a van, up to the super mover so at this age, Id assume everything they have fits. Depending on the size of the toad, the rental truck has to climb in size, and bigger IS better here and its gonna need fed every couple hundred miles. 6mpg is NOT unreasonable.

I and my family have been out of the biz for a while now, but it used to be that professional movers moved military moves (for a steep discount no less) you say the USMC does the move themselves? It is an adventure and he may be capable of holding off lot lizards with suppressing fire but if this is the FIRST XC trip they have ever taken, it might not be the best idea to complicate it with a 'yee-haw' truck, but rather have the pros move it and do the drive if they wish.

Since I was on the road decades ago, it has become infinitely less safer to do a XC trip, since my other family have been on in the last decade, its incrementally less safer as it just gets worse year by year. And we were burly truckers that were road wise. Yes, there are plenty of fuel stops and hotel rooms and the route from JAX to 29 is going to be very straightforward. They are TOTALLY going to get sick of Texas road signs.

Id do it well planned, plan on a 50-55mph average and plan a daylight run with a major chain hotel stay each night. Drive while the sun is up. <---my best advice for XC noobs.

They are going to use I10. Look at a map. I10 is not the BEST area to be in the SW USA right now to encounter strangers. They are going to be using an unknown quantity truck, towing a car 4 down, 2 down or no down, hence most likely also an unknown quantity trailer/dolly. It might be best to bring 2 friends, 1 for each driver, if for nothing else, someone to talk to. The 'whoo hooo-iness' of it wears off day 1. its a 3 day trip for a hard charging pro.

If anyone would want to do them wrong, keep in mind, they are pros at this and THAT area - I10 in the SW USA - is THEIR playground. Houston to 29 is the sketchiest part of this trip. Order them some street smarts off amazon before they leave. Therefore Id second what someone else said, have the driven car/truck lead at a cruise setting the big truck can follow.

And if you see Rutger Hauer hitchhiking, dont give him a ride. <--obscure movie reference

oh and ps: most of I10 thru LA is elevated over swamp or ground level next to swamp. Its gator infested. Snakes too. plenty of stories of drivers stopping to 'check the 5th wheel' and finding something sucking heat out of the pavement at night...meaning at night is where you will see the non-2 legged reptiles, literally ON the road.

Dont get me wrong, I used to love this stuff. some of my best memories were in the cab at night where you see the headlights glow on a lonely road at 2am 15 minutes before you see the car. Everyone has done their best to make it far far worse, since then and now, Im jaded.

Old 04-16-2024, 11:47 AM

199 posts, read 157,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
Just four years ago my husband and I drove cross country in the opposite direction (to Florida) with three dogs, one of whom was diabetic and required insulin shots twice a day - oh and it was during Covid with multiple places closed along the way and we had to avoid entire states that had lock downs!

I'm not joking when I say that trip was a breeze and very safe! We knew we would be staying at Residence Inns along the way because they allowed our three dogs and RIs always have refrigerators for our dog's insulin. We traveled on major highways, stopped often for the dogs (and us) to pee, and packed a lot of sandwiches and water because we never knew what would be open along the way. The dogs' food was already measured out and it was easy to just grab a ziplock bag when needed.

Our RI in Albuquerque was in a sketchy area but even with obvious moving stuff in our car, we were never broken into. People we met along the way were amazingly wonderful and a lovely police officer stopped us for speeding (we deserved it) but after he saw our three dogs in their kennels and we had a nice conversation about moving, he let us off with a strict warning and his good wishes.

If your daughter has to be in a different car I would suggest that she drive ahead of her husband so that if anything happens along the way like a flat tire or something else, he'll be able to see it and help.

Another scenario with us and a cross country move happened more than thirty years ago. My husband and I moved from NJ to NV with two toddlers. I flew with the kids and my husband and his brother drove a car with a U-haul attached to the car so that cross country move was a bit different from what your daughter is doing. Is it possible for her to fly and have someone else drive the second car? Maybe a buddy of her husband?
HI there, Sounds like your trip was very adventurous! His mother is driving with our daughter, but there was no one that was able to drive with her fiancee in the u haul unfortunately. They have two cars so there was really no other option they were able to do. I am sure they will be fine, I am just a worry wart I guess

Old 04-16-2024, 01:01 PM

7,521 posts, read 13,642,700 times
Quote:
HI there, Sounds like your trip was very adventurous! His mother is driving with our daughter, but there was no one that was able to drive with her fiancee in the u haul unfortunately. They have two cars so there was really no other option they were able to do. I am sure they will be fine, I am just a worry wart I guess
Did they even consider using one of the YouPack/WeDrive container movers, and then tow one car with the other. That what we did on one of our long moves with 2 cars.

Old 04-16-2024, 02:32 PM

24,619 posts, read 10,947,984 times
Quote:
Why do you not drive with them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues