Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 02:44 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,105,648 times

Advertisements

ROFLMAO in 40+ years Ihave NEVER won a jackpot in excess of $20.

But even THERE you have the option....you can refuse to give the SSN BUT they will take the maximum taxes out right on the spot and send to the IRS as a "SERVICE" to you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 02:58 PM

103 posts, read 327,137 times
The UPS store did not ask for my SS number but they wanted 2 forms of ID and they said that SS card and birth cert were not acceptable forms of ID. As I stated in my OP the only things I have with my married name on them are my FL state ID, my SS card, and my bank debit card. So if SS card and Birth Cert are not acceptable forms of ID what would I use as a second? In the end after reading the fine print I found that I can use a copy of my apartment lease. I have however decided to have our mail forwarded to General Delivery Las Vegas during our drive out there and will obtain our mailbox when we arrive so we don't have to fax any personal info anywhere. Thanks everyone.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:30 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,347,270 times
If you ever apply for unemployment insurance you may have to fax a copy of your SSA card so that they can confirm your wages. You also have to show it for the job service to confirm that you can legally work in the U.S. before they can help you find a job. So if you go there take the card with you. You can refuse but they can refuse to help you too, so nobody wins.

When unemployment claims were taken in person in an office you'd have to show it to them. When they went to telephone claims, and then internet claims, they were all concerned that they wouldn't be able to get a copy of the SSA card for confirmation of eligibility to work, or if they had all your wages, etc. You'd be surprised how employers get those numbers all screwed up. I've also seen fathers and sons with the exact same name and an SSA just one number off. Then there are the illegals who buy fake SSA cards and you'll find the whole family using someone else's number.

If I'm not mistaken, the DMV also still uses your SSA for ID but then gives you a different DL #. You used to be able to figure the SSA # from the DL number but I think they changed it their system when somebody broke the code and some idiot reporter put in the newspaper.

There are lots of government services that require you to have an SSA card but a lot of them are getting away from that. You need it for applying for loans too I believe.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:26 PM

Buzz, I spoke with post office today and will definatley be using general delivery service until we arrive in LV at which point I will get my mailbox. I won't be able to fill out job apps til I get there now but it is a small price to pay to keep my identity and credit rating safe. Thanks again.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:06 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,347,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massagemamma View Post
Buzz, I spoke with post office today and will definatley be using general delivery service until we arrive in LV at which point I will get my mailbox. I won't be able to fill out job apps til I get there now but it is a small price to pay to keep my identity and credit rating safe. Thanks again.
Buenas suerte. Have a good trip. You'll have no trouble finding a job.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:34 PM

762 posts, read 1,750,010 times
Default Even though you don't travel...

it's still a good idea to get a passport. It's now $100 for a 1st time application, is good for travel for 10 years but is then still legal ID after it expires (you just can't use it for travel if expired). My passport expired eight years ago and I still use it for ID.

Of course, SS cards are still needed as ID for employment, but picture ID's are becoming more and more necessary for other uses. It's easy to fake all types of IDs, so whoever requests picture IDs is just trying to cover the bases and make sure there is no doubt you are who you say you are by having a picture to compare to the person standing in front of them. I guess various entities also accept leases and utility bills, etc., as ID because they would likely be easy to verify.

BTW, SS cards are now usually issued upon birth, but that's still not mandatory. You can opt out of having your children issued SS numbers (I know someone who objected to the practice and did that). Years ago, they were only issued when you were about to get your first job - I got mine when I was 14, after applying for "working papers."

Interesting thread, by the way.

Last edited by citychik; 07-29-2008 at 07:55 PM..

Old 07-29-2008, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Buenas suerte. Have a good trip. You'll have no trouble finding a job.
I hope you're right...No, I know you're right (gotta think positive) I know the hubs won't have an issue 9yrs exp 2 as supervisor in a Budweiser Distributor. The president of the company is writing his reference letter and his immediate supervisor is going to try to call the Bud Dist there to put a good word in. When we try to contact them ourselves the receptionist is not very nice and just says "We aren't hiring" well if Bud doesn't work out all of that experience should work wonders at one of the many beverage distributors out there. I've got plenty of customer service, call center, cashier experience to get a full time job doing that while saving up for my NV massage license. I can't wait to get there!

Old 07-30-2008, 12:42 AM

91 posts, read 371,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
it's still a good idea to get a passport. It's now $100 for a 1st time application, is good for travel for 10 years but is then still legal ID after it expires (you just can't use it for travel if expired). My passport expired eight years ago and I still use it for ID.

Of course, SS cards are still needed as ID for employment, but picture ID's are becoming more and more necessary for other uses. It's easy to fake all types of IDs, so whoever requests picture IDs is just trying to cover the bases and make sure there is no doubt you are who you say you are by having a picture to compare to the person standing in front of them. I guess various entities also accept leases and utility bills, etc., as ID because they would likely be easy to verify.

BTW, SS cards are now usually issued upon birth, but that's still not mandatory. You can opt out of having your children issued SS numbers (I know someone who objected to the practice and did that). Years ago, they were only issued when you were about to get your first job - I got mine when I was 14, after applying for "working papers."

Interesting thread, by the way.
Got mine at 9 when my mom passed away.

My dad got SS checks.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:47 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,832,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massagemamma View Post
Buzz...I am setting up a mail box to receive our mail. We want to have this set up and have an address ready to use before we leave Florida.
It may be a hassle for you, but consider yourself lucky that they're willing to open a box for you. I'm moving cross-country (starting tomorrow -- yikes) and when I contacted UPS about setting up a mail box, they told me that -- because of security concerns -- they only rent them in person.

If I could show up in person, I'd already have an address and wouldn't NEED a box from them! (grumble grumble grumble )

Old 07-30-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
It may be a hassle for you, but consider yourself lucky that they're willing to open a box for you. I'm moving cross-country (starting tomorrow -- yikes) and when I contacted UPS about setting up a mail box, they told me that -- because of security concerns -- they only rent them in person.

If I could show up in person, I'd already have an address and wouldn't NEED a box from them! (grumble grumble grumble )
Interesting...I spoke with reps in 2 different UPS stores in the LV area and they said that they open boxes for people out of state all of the time. They even emailed me their application. Although for security reasons we have chose not to go this route. Contact the US Post office for the area you are moving to, you can forward your mail to General Delivery and pick it up at the post office with just photo ID. Then when you arrive at your destination and get your address you can forward again from general delivery to your permanent address. You can also find info on General delivery here USPS - Frequently Asked Questions - Mailing to '<b>General</b> <b>Delivery</b>'
you should however contact the postmaster for the area you are headed to before forwarding to general delivery. (Thank Buzz123 for this info as he is the one who provided it to me)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues