Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 09:29 PM

103 posts, read 327,117 times

Advertisements

Today I contacted the UPS store there to get my new local address before the move so we have someplace to send our mail to while searching for the right apartment/jobs. They emailed me a copy of their application which I must fill out and fax back to them with 2 forms of ID for both myself and husband. The application specifically states "Two types of identification are required. One must contain a photograph of the addressee. Social Security cards, credit cards, and birth certificates are unacceptable as identification." then in two different spots lists the acceptable forms of id which include valid drivers license or stat non-drivers identification card (ok, makes sense); armed forces, government university or recognized corporate identification card; passport, alien registration card or certificate of naturalization (still making sense) current lease, mortgage or deed of trust (what? how is this proof of who I am? I could have a copy of my third cousin twice removed's lease); voter or vehicle registration card or a home or vehicle insurance policy (ok, makes sense again); Costco Card, Sams Club Card, Health Club Card (when in the world did Costco and Sams club become so important that their club cards are now acceptable forms of ID?) The worst part is I had to struggle to figure out what to send in and had to search all of the fine print to find out I can use my lease. I don't drive so have to use state ID but the second form stumped me, I've been married just over a year and only have 3 pieces of ID with married name on them, my ID card, my (aparently) useless SS card, and my bank debit card. I have no health ins cause it cost too much to have me added to hubbys plan, I have no car ins cause I have chose not to drive for almost 10 years now, we don't have Costco here and since I don't drive there was no need for us to pay extra for me to have a Sam's card in my name, we've never traveled abroad so I don't have a passport, my apartment complex offers a free fitness center so no need for a health club. This isn't the first time I've had this problem either. When going to take my exam for massage therapy national certification they required 2 ID's and they insisted that the second ID be a credit card (not bank debit but credit) I haven't had a credit card in a very long time! Lucky for me I had lost my state ID and had a duplicate made after which time I found the original so they accepted 2 copies of the same ID. When did SS cards and Birth Certificates become so useless? Am I the only one who has experienced and issue like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 09:33 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,142,389 times
I know my Costco card has my picture on it. Maybe, that's why.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:51 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,103,724 times
SS cards have never been acceptable....the old ones used to state that on the card...as for a birth certificate, that is only usable if you are still 6lbs 3 oz and16" tall [or however tall kids are when they pop out]

Old 07-28-2008, 10:08 PM

I know my Costco card has my picture on it. Maybe, that's why.

ok, maybe, except that only one form of id has to have photo so this should not be the reason this card is accepted.

SS cards have never been acceptable....the old ones used to state that on the card...as for a birth certificate, that is only usable if you are still 6lbs 3 oz and16" tall [or however tall kids are when they pop out]

ok, again, except to get that drivers license or state id you MUST use your ss card and birth certificate so if they aren't id then how come you must use one to get an ID or drivers license? I submit Nevada DMV New Resident Guide second check mark under heading "Items needed for typical transfers" proof of social security number and first item under proof of identity documents list is Certified U.S. Issued Birth Certificate or Certified Abstract

For someone who is just 16-18 years old just starting out in life the only documents available are birth certificate and SS card, there is nothing else in existance to prove who you are until you establish credit, get a drivers license, or go to college and get a school ID. I simply find it interesting that the only two things issued to you at birth with your name on them from legal institutions are not proof of who you are, if these don't work that what does and what does someone who chooses to live off of the credit card/drivers license grid do to prove who they are?

Old 07-28-2008, 11:01 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,943,404 times
I think you make a great point there. My insurance is through my husbands work and does NOT have my name on it. Strange how most things listed are acquired with a drivers license, which is acquired with a BC. I say just get that passport. Makes things so much easier.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
I think you make a great point there. My insurance is through my husbands work and does NOT have my name on it. Strange how most things listed are acquired with a drivers license, which is acquired with a BC. I say just get that passport. Makes things so much easier.
Again Birth Certificate which in too many instances is not considered ID is REQUIRED to obtain a passport (see How to Apply in Person for a Passport) Just one of those things that will make me wonder for the rest of my life. We do plan to travel abroad some day so I will be getting that passport soon. But what about people who need the passport for proof of ID to get a job that owe child support? Can't work without proof of ID, can't get the passport with unpaid child support, can't pay the child support without a job? Again BC and SS card the only 2 pieces of paper issued by government entitiy at birth proving who you are and still not acceptable forms of ID. I issue an infinate hmmmmmmmmmmm...

Old 07-29-2008, 12:09 AM

91 posts, read 371,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
I beg to differ with you. I used my birth certificate to obtain my NDL.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:58 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,345,257 times
The first thing I don't understand is why you'd need to fax any thing to UPS for deliveries? Next, surely you aren't going to put any of that personal identification stuff on a fax for who knows who to steal?

Or did you mean that you are setting up a mail box to receive your mail? If so I still don't know why you would need to do anything other than show a picture ID to pick it up.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:15 AM

Buzz...I am setting up a mail box to receive our mail. We want to have this set up and have an address ready to use before we leave Florida. We want to use UPS vs the US Post office because we don't want a po box. We want to be able to start filling out job apps about 2 wks before we will arrive in LV so we can set up interviews. This is a move for us but we will be in an extended stay hotel until we decide on an apartment. As many have told me PO Box on a job app gets your app directly into the G file as will using the addy of an extended stay hotel. We want a real street address and UPS offers those. To get this mailbox they require 2 forms of ID. I tried to just fill out the app at the UPS store near me and show my id there without faxing anything but these damned FL idiots had no idea what they were doing and it seems as though fax is the best/only way to go. Don't want to leave FL and have my mail sitting in limbo for the 4 day drive plus however long it takes to get the forwarding done. Of corse I worry about faxing that personal stuff but this is actually an application through the US Post office approving UPS as an agent to recieve my mail for me. US Post office requires this. What else can we do? If you have a better idea to get a real LV street address set up by the end of the month I'm all for suggestions.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:30 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,345,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massagemamma View Post
Buzz...I am setting up a mail box to receive our mail. We want to have this set up and have an address ready to use before we leave Florida. We want to use UPS vs the US Post office because we don't want a po box. We want to be able to start filling out job apps about 2 wks before we will arrive in LV so we can set up interviews. This is a move for us but we will be in an extended stay hotel until we decide on an apartment. As many have told me PO Box on a job app gets your app directly into the G file as will using the addy of an extended stay hotel. We want a real street address and UPS offers those. To get this mailbox they require 2 forms of ID. I tried to just fill out the app at the UPS store near me and show my id there without faxing anything but these damned FL idiots had no idea what they were doing and it seems as though fax is the best/only way to go. Don't want to leave FL and have my mail sitting in limbo for the 4 day drive plus however long it takes to get the forwarding done. Of course I worry about faxing that personal stuff but this is actually an application through the US Post office approving UPS as an agent to receive my mail for me. US Post office requires this. What else can we do? If you have a better idea to get a real LV street address set up by the end of the month I'm all for suggestions.
I would wait until I got here and go in person with the ID's least likely to be stolen by some pimply faced clerk in the UPS store manning the fax machine. If you believe they are stupid there, then they will also be stupid here. Go on line and ask the USPS to hold your mail until you give them the new address. Or go to the post office and do it. You need to put in a change of address anyway. I put holds on my mail all the time if I won't be in town to get it. No biggy. You won't need those bills and catalogs for a few days so it won't hurt anything to put a hold on it. If you need a place for the PO to send it have it sent to General Delivery in Las Vegas, then do another change of address when you get the UPS PO box. Don't get all stressed out over it. It's simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues