Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2008, 04:18 PM

826 posts, read 1,625,038 times

Advertisements

I'm getting ready to move to a new city for a job (I won't be going to school or anything) and I don't know a single person in the area. Would it be better for me to find roommates (craigslist) or to just live alone. My concern is living with people I'd have people to hangout with and help me around while living alone I wouldn't. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 09:22 PM

319 posts, read 1,910,868 times
Personally, I wouldn't want to move in with strangers. From what I understand, you'd be finding someone to live with before you moved, so you'd have a place to move to. I'd want to get a small, shorter-term rental to have some time to figure out exactly what area to live in, and see if there is anyone from work or your social life you'd want to stay with, if any.

I haven't even had any "bad" roommate experiences, but I wouldn't want to live with strangers if I had a choice. You could still have people to hang out with and help you out, but maybe once you got to know them.

Hopefully the new job will be very welcoming and you can make friends fast. Best of luck.

I'm doing the same thing in a couple months, but thankfully moving out with my fiance, and I'm already getting close with my future co-workers through e-mail and the two times we met.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:51 PM

468 posts, read 1,637,026 times
I would totally live alone. It depends on where you're moving, also. If you're going to San Francisco or something, it'd be more advantageous to get a roommate. But, if you're moving somewhere where the cost of living is cheap, I'd take the hit, pay the extra and live alone.

You'll make friends other ways...

Old 04-16-2008, 11:02 PM

826 posts, read 1,625,038 times
Right but the advantage of roommates is they could be my friends, go out with them, etc. while as living alone (and not knowing anyone to begin with) it would be harder. Plus I don't know the area at all really

Old 04-17-2008, 01:46 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times
Strangers could turn out to be friends. They could also rape, rob and murder you. You've got a 50-50 chance of either outcome...

Your first priority is your own safety, right? Absolutely live by yourself!

You have a job. That means you will have lots of people at work who will be delighted to teach you all about the area -- folks always do -- and a few of them could become friends. THAT is a safe way to gain information. I have moved to many places and as a woman I would never even consider living with people I know nothing about, including their cleanliness, smoking, drinking, drug use, financial condition, emotional health, physical health....

Protect yourself.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:44 AM

468 posts, read 1,637,026 times
^^ Well said.

Old 04-20-2008, 04:08 AM

103 posts, read 783,317 times
You can rent a Motel room by the week which is cheaper than paying rent,deposit and utilities and no lease to break.Then make friends with the people at your new job and have them help you find the perfect setup for you.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:19 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,448,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash83 View Post
Right but the advantage of roommates is they could be my friends, go out with them, etc. while as living alone (and not knowing anyone to begin with) it would be harder. Plus I don't know the area at all really
Sounds to me like you kind of want to live with someone?

When I moved several years ago I flew down here first and set things up with a roommate. Then we I moved here I had a place to move right into. It was ok (I moved in with a 26 year old single woman who owned her house). Thing is, I am NOT a roommate kind of person.

But then again, I lived with another woman and that turned out to be a nightmare experience.

All in all, I'd live alone after thinking about that nightmare experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues