Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 10:46 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times

Advertisements

Well here I go again...after5 years time to deal with moving.....this time I am moving near the beach, to a creative culturally diverse city......any city, lol, after enduring suburban jail.

It will be a drastic change, but its for the best
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 09:25 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,808,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Well here I go again...after5 years time to deal with moving.....this time I am moving near the beach, to a creative culturally diverse city......any city, lol, after enduring suburban jail.

Are you heading back to Monterey?

Old 07-14-2009, 07:13 PM

Well I wish...never been but I did like Santa Monica where I am now is landlocked and it stinks!!!! At least in S Florida I had the ocean,- am so very sick of where I am now...how is it where you are?

Old 07-14-2009, 08:47 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,289,317 times
Quote:

I hope all works out well for you ! Moving sucks! I just moved to Upstate South Carolina, I still have a ton (well, actuly a few tons!) of stuff yet to move.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:36 AM

I've got a lot of furniture but am selling it before I leave,and 3 dogs...it won't be easy

Old 07-16-2009, 01:10 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,808,050 times
Quote:
Well I wish...never been but I did like Santa Monica where I am now is landlocked and it stinks!!!! At least in S Florida I had the ocean,- am so very sick of where I am now...how is it where you are?
Well, I'm in the desert area of Southern California (Palm Springs area). Frankly I'm hoping to move soon too. I'm not too fond of the summers here anymore, and the job market in my industry is non-existent.
I did live in Irvine, and liked it there. My sister was in San Diego for years, and absolutely loved it. Where are you hoping to go?
I actually either hope to go back home to Oregon, or possibly northern California sometime in the hopefully not too distant future.

I hear you on the stress. I did that once before, and may again, and it's not much fun. But telling yourself "this too shall pass" really does help you get through it, because it really will. Good luck to you.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:10 PM

Thank u karla, I sent you a DM. anything about So Cal you didn't like (besides job issue)

Old 07-22-2009, 02:34 PM

138 posts, read 510,975 times
I am in NY state about 1 1/2 hrs above NYC. I absolutely am miserable here. I am a native Californian Girl and man oh man I need to go back. We moved here becasue my husband was out of work and was offered a job here. Luckily we still own our house in Sacramento. I am originally from the Santa Rosa Area and I so desperatley need to go home.My husband is now out of work and we cannot move until our house is up for lease renewal in December. Every summer we go to Lake Tahoe and that is my renewing spot.I feel refreshed and like I've just had a tune up while I am there. Have you been there? Beautiful . And the best part...You can drive back home and get AWAY from the snow. AAAAAAAAAh California.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:54 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,702,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwilover70 View Post
I am in NY state about 1 1/2 hrs above NYC. I absolutely am miserable here. I am a native Californian Girl and man oh man I need to go back. We moved here becasue my husband was out of work and was offered a job here. Luckily we still own our house in Sacramento. I am originally from the Santa Rosa Area and I so desperatley need to go home.My husband is now out of work and we cannot move until our house is up for lease renewal in December. Every summer we go to Lake Tahoe and that is my renewing spot.I feel refreshed and like I've just had a tune up while I am there. Have you been there? Beautiful . And the best part...You can drive back home and get AWAY from the snow. AAAAAAAAAh California.

Aww poor you... I feel your pain. It is very boring in Upstate NY. Visit NYC whenever you can, you will have plenty of fun

Old 07-28-2009, 10:07 PM

372 posts, read 534,089 times
I'm in the process of leaving Los Angeles. I lived in Santa Monica for 5 years and Beverly Hills for 2.
The rental market is finally coming down, some landlords are trying to hold on, but overall, the rental market is good for tenants. Santa Monica was fun at first to be near the beach (my apt was right on the ocean at The Shores) but the homeless numbers were daunting, and the mentally ill among them staggering. I felt as if I was working long after I'd returned home for evening (PhD Psych) as I'd frequently hear some kind of disturbance almost every night.
Haven't been to Monterey is years, Big Sur is always fabulous but quiet.
I think if I came back to Cali, I'd venture further south, like San Clemente, or back north to Mendocino. I haven't been to San Clemente, but am sooo tired of the massive numbers of people in the city, and need a more rural environment.
I get what you mean about the suburbs...couldn't wait to leave the cookie-cutter life of NJ, with all the Biffy's and Buff's.
If you like the symphony, Gustav Dudamel is the new conductor at the LA PHIL, and he is AMAZING!!!!
Definitely catch him this year.
Good luck on your move; I hope you can make it fun/adventure instead of a chore.
Wherever you land, best of luck.
Welcome to your new life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues