Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 07:20 AM

3 posts, read 3,931 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm 21, from Ireland, and over the past few months I've been strongly considering moving to the States. I have no idea how to go about this i.e. documentation, forms, passport issues etc. Any information anyone may have would be greatly appreciated!
Also, where in the states is also something I've been pondering over. I've always wanted to see Vegas, Washington, New York etc but will get round to them eventually. Right now I need advice on a place to settle. I'm not partial to a lot of sun so Florida etc is not optional. However, I don't want to be stuck in the rain either. I'd like somewhere quiet but not too quiet but not in a big city either. If any of you lovely Americans could give me any advice on where would be a good choice and why I would be so so so SO very appreciative!

Go raibh mile maith agaibh (Thank you )

Sarahlina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 04:51 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
You need to go on a US embassy website to get that information. I suggested googleing 'relocating to the USA' and then find government (not scam) websites.

You will probably have to have a job offer to get a visa to stay permanently or be sponsored by someone in the USA to vouch you will not be a drain on the social services here.

There are many Irish people all over the USA, particularly in NY, where I am from (every one of my friends was Irish or Irish descent!). Boston is also a big Irish city.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:00 AM

702 posts, read 2,185,921 times
You will need to keep in mind what you plan on doing for work, that will help determine where to move to. I am not to sure about the requirements to move. Agree about the websites, make sure when looking at a US government site the address reads ".gov" Like this one I just found USCIS Home Page

Good luck!

Old 01-08-2010, 07:53 AM

3,749 posts, read 12,406,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahlina View Post
Hi all,

I'm 21, from Ireland, and over the past few months I've been strongly considering moving to the States. I have no idea how to go about this i.e. documentation, forms, passport issues etc. Any information anyone may have would be greatly appreciated!
Also, where in the states is also something I've been pondering over. I've always wanted to see Vegas, Washington, New York etc but will get round to them eventually. Right now I need advice on a place to settle. I'm not partial to a lot of sun so Florida etc is not optional. However, I don't want to be stuck in the rain either. I'd like somewhere quiet but not too quiet but not in a big city either. If any of you lovely Americans could give me any advice on where would be a good choice and why I would be so so so SO very appreciative!

Sarahlina
Have you ever visited the USA? I would suggest getting a visitor's visa and coming here for a visit first. Scout out a few potential areas you think you might like, check out the employment situation for the areas THEN start to plan a move. Only you can decide what region you would like. Tell us where you are considering and we can give you details on that area. Every state in the US has an official website. I suggest starting there and then narrowing it down to decide where to visit. Good Luck!

Old 01-08-2010, 03:34 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
I recommend focusing on areas of the country with low costs of living.

I'd recommend Pittsburgh, but complain about the rain so it's probably not for you. (It's not like it rains everyday, nor all day, so I'm a little confused about that.)

Many cities in Texas are very affordable, but again there's the weather factor because it's all sunshine all the time (except for now!)

Areas of the country with low costs of living are also areas of the country where the economies are doing better.

As a result, these links would be a good place to start researching your favorite cities:

America's Fastest-Recovering Cities - Forbes.com

Full List: America's Fastest-Recovering Cities - Forbes.com

Of course, everyone says you should go where you can find a job. That's a given.

However, I think you need to select your five or six top cities and focus your job search in those areas. If you cant' find something after a few months, expand your cities.

There's no reason to move to a city you don't like or can't afford just because you have a job offer.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Have you ever visited the USA? I would suggest getting a visitor's visa and coming here for a visit first. Scout out a few potential areas you think you might like, check out the employment situation for the areas THEN start to plan a move.
Europeans are different from Americans. They seem to have no problem moving around the world without seeing a place first hand. I think that has to do with the fact that they have no problem leaving since they don't mind moving from country to country. Americans are leary of leaving the country. We don't move around the world like Europeans. Heck, Americans are weird about moving from city to city within the same state.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:17 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,406,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Europeans are different from Americans. They seem to have no problem moving around the world without seeing a place first hand. I think that has to do with the fact that they have no problem leaving since they don't mind moving from country to country. Americans are leary of leaving the country. We don't move around the world like Europeans. Heck, Americans are weird about moving from city to city within the same state.
I'm aware of the difference. I've spent a lot of time abroad in Europe & Asia. In this economy it just makes sense to have a game plan in advance.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:00 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,437,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahlina View Post
Hi all,

Sarahlina
With your weather requirements, I would suggest San Francisco - but that's a big city.

You could look into Santa Barbara or Santa Cruz.

But California will be more expensive than one of the inner states.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
I'm aware of the difference. I've spent a lot of time abroad in Europe & Asia. In this economy it just makes sense to have a game plan in advance.
In this economy many people can't afford an advance scout trip. As a result, they do as much research as possible and just go for it.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:39 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,473,344 times
Job aside, and they are a huge concern obviously, why not try looking into the southwest. Like northern New Mexico or southern Arizona? It will be a completely different change for you and you may just fall in love with it. Southern Arizona near the border of New Mexico. Las Cruces, a medium sized town, but it does get very hot there. Northern New Meixco gets cold winters, but with beautiful sunshine.

I'd certainly suggest Oregon or Washington, where I live (OR), but it does rain a lot. My Irish born friend and her family all Irish born and raised find the weather quite similar. It's beautiful country, though. Although eastern Oregon is more dessert like, but very cold and bitter winters. It's not very populated either so you may check into Pendleton or Ontario (small towns).

There are just so many places...maybe you should pick one small city just for the interim, and spend the next year or so venturing about to find a spot you'd love. The country is huge, and you can find almost anything you would want in climate and size of towns.

Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues