Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 11:51 AM

6 posts, read 25,635 times

Advertisements

I could really do with some tips on how you got your kids used to the idea… how did you comfort them about leaving friends or family behind; anything you said to psych them up about their new homes; what you did to explore the new neighborhood; how you eased any fears they might have had about new schools…

i’d be so grateful for your advice… ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 02:28 PM

45 posts, read 268,004 times
I don't think I'll be of much help to you, only because we haven't actually moved yet. We're planning to move out of the Pacific Northwest, mostly because we're looking for a little excitement and adventure in some other part of the country, and housing prices here are ridiculous.

Anyway, when we tell our families it will be a big deal. They all live in either Oregon and Washington, and we're looking at Milwaukee, Asheville, Cleveland-basically nothing close. Nobody will be able to understand why we're doing it. Our daughters, ages 3 and 7, are young and, of course, totally up for anything. Our 7 year old will probably start to think about leaving her friends next spring, but she'll be OK. She's part of a great dance studio here, and making sure our new home has a place for her to dance is a top requirement.

As far as making preparations, we're in the "gathering info" stage right now. We've sent away for relocation packets from five or six areas and we'll be interested to see what they send us. We also spend a lot of time on this web site, as it's good to hear what other people have to say about certain areas.

Again, only one of our daughters is in school, so that won't be as hard to talk about. Good luck with your move. Let me know if I can offer any other advice.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:08 AM

153 posts, read 685,940 times
Kids are very adaptable. As soon as that first friend welcomes them to a new neighborhood they look forward to the future and meeting other new friends. How old are your kids, 90? 65? 2?

The more detailed information you post the better someone here is able to help you.

Old 10-12-2007, 05:01 AM

1,032 posts, read 4,265,871 times
Kids are very flexible and adjust quicker than we do to new situations, but that still doesn't help the fact that my heart is breaking every day as my 6 year old son realizes (and comments on) all the things he's going to miss when we move (dagger through the heart every time)

My kids (I have 3) are little and will find new friends as soon as the moving truck pulls up to the house, but I still feel so sad for them. Not to mention I feel bad for the kids in the nrighborhood that we are leaving behind! We have become "the" house in the neighborhood where the little ones hang out after school, so I know we will be missed (well, at least our playset will be)

We take the kids up to the new house often so they can stay excited about it, and have spent a lot of time showing them the are so they have stuff to look forward to - it'll all be fine.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:09 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,845,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zatnikatel View Post
I could really do with some tips on how you got your kids used to the idea… how did you comfort them about leaving friends or family behind; anything you said to psych them up about their new homes; what you did to explore the new neighborhood; how you eased any fears they might have had about new schools…

i’d be so grateful for your advice… ;-)
You don't say how old your kids are, and there are different strategies for different ages. We moved about a year and 1/2 ago, about 2 hours away. My son is turning 10 tomorrow. He was very upset over the move. It surprised me because I am a Navy Brat and we moved every 2 to 3 years because of the military. I was fine... my son did not embrace the move.

However, he is doing fine and getting along. We still stay connected to his best friends in the old neighborhood and are going back there this weekend so we can see all of them.

Shelly

Old 10-12-2007, 09:00 PM

5 posts, read 11,626 times
Default wanting to move back to east tn next summer

Hi yall ,
I am wanting to move back to TN next summer. Lived in sevierville for a while and wanting to come back. Considering a different location, but still within 45min to an hour of sevierville. Does anyone know anything about Lafollette? Need help with finding a job before the move. I am planning to transfer to pellissipi to go to college, I am a single mother of an 8 year old, so I need suggestions. Can anyone help? I am looking for the country and mountain views. I would like to rent a place for a while until I finish college. I have looked in the local newspapers for jobs, but find nothing? I love TN and want to move back.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:11 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,515,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennessee gal 07 View Post
Hi yall ,
I am wanting to move back to TN next summer. Lived in sevierville for a while and wanting to come back. Considering a different location, but still within 45min to an hour of sevierville. Does anyone know anything about Lafollette? Need help with finding a job before the move. I am planning to transfer to pellissipi to go to college, I am a single mother of an 8 year old, so I need suggestions. Can anyone help? I am looking for the country and mountain views. I would like to rent a place for a while until I finish college. I have looked in the local newspapers for jobs, but find nothing? I love TN and want to move back.
Hi Tn gal. Please post over on the Tennessee>Knoxville thread. You are apt to get more responses there. Best of luck to you and welcome home!

Old 10-15-2007, 11:01 PM

543 posts, read 1,901,887 times
We are hoping to move ,if my husband gets the job, all the way across the US.

We live in So. Ca and plan to relocate to PA. I have dreamed of living on the East Coast since I was a teenager. We have no family here but plenty back there. The problem... We have four kids ages 9-18. Our college freshman will most likely stay here since she has informed us plenty of times she will not leave Calif. The others will come with us, and although I know it will be hard, they will adjust. We have not even mentioned it to them because we do not know if it will pan out. If it does we are going to tell them that we have to give it one year. I know they will miss all their friends but these days with email, my space, etc they will always be able to stay in touch with them.

I feel that had I not moved from the area that I grew up in I would have missed out on some great friendships. There is a big world out there and I would love for them to experience something different. Change is hard but I believe it builds character if we learn to adjust. My kids know we would never do anything to harm them emotionally or psychologically. They are very outgoing, love to be involved, (sports, dance, etc.) so I know they will make new friends.

If you are planning a move do it while your kids are young, they will be your way of making new friends as well. To me there is a lot worse they could suffer than to move with their family. No matter where we live we will still be a family that love and support each other regardless of our zip code.

Old 11-16-2007, 05:17 PM

633 posts, read 2,542,422 times
Our kids are 11 & 13 and are ecstatic about moving to Seattle. They can't wait to get to a place where it rains and the scenery is soooo beautiful. Sure beats the desert atmosphere of So California.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,082 times
My worries are for my 8 yrd.old. His dad my husband passed away almost 2 yrs.ago and yes it has been quit hard on all of us. But I feel like a start in life would do us all good. But the problem is we lived in MO. for all of his life. Now he was here in Or. and seemed to like but struggled some when I puy him into counseling .so I will not do that one again. My parents are very heart broken and wish for us not to move.But I dont feel like I can be really happy there anymore, way to many memories. So I am writing to hopeful get some feed back. For I want the best for my son.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues