Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2010, 06:12 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,944,313 times

Advertisements

Ok so we are moving to another state in august, I have some things packed in the kitchen and living room, things I dont use, I was wondering what things I should have packed by now? What else can I do to get ready for the move? I hope by the beginning of august I have everything packed and downstairs except clothes, personal items, food, and computer, so that I dont have much to do on moving day except move stuff into the truck. thanks everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 07:36 PM

4 posts, read 17,756 times
We're in the same boat as you, moving from Seattle to Dallas in August. Here are some items that we're doing that may help you as well.

*At this point we haven't packed anything. But we are selling some items that really don't need to be moved again on craigslist. Consider going thru your items again - do you really want to move <<INSERT ITEM HERE>>
*Other small items that don't sell are going to goodwill
*picked up lots of necessary packing supplies - boxes, tape, bubble wrap, plastic wrap, all off craigslist so i dont run out last minute for it
*we've gone thru each of our kids rooms and helped them spring clean. Getting rid of old papers, toys they don't want anymore, things we don't need, etc

We keep a centralized list of items to do
-remembering things to cut off the utilities
-Return cable equipment
-stop the trash service
-get current doctor contact info so we can transfer medical info to new doctor, dentist, fill prescriptions

Incrementally packing is a great way to get prepared. Likely in mid to late June we'll start to pack up books, and other items infrequently used.

About a 2-months before we'll start filtering out our pantry items and cooking with things that need to be used up before we move so we dont transport a bunch of canned goods, spices, etc.

Usually a 3 or so weeks before, we switch over to paper plates and plasticware so we can pack up most of the kitchen. We'll only leave out a few all-purpose pots, pans, and utensils.

A few days before moving, we'll have everyone pick out and set out several days worth of outfits and then pack up the rest of the closet clothing. Everything else can be laundered and packed.

I'm sure I have more that I hadn't listed - hope this helps

Old 05-23-2010, 01:18 PM

245 posts, read 956,307 times
I did a long haul move 6 months ago from NC to PA & the first thing I packed actually was my kitchen, leaving the absolutely necessary items till the few weeks before the move & then on to paper plate, cups & plasticware. I found that I have tons of kitchen items that I don't use on a daily basis. I thought I had it all organized & thought of everything but bathrooms & clothes closets were a disaster the last minute. We had 3 baths & our master bath seemed to have way too much stuff in it. When I do this again I will get rid of items I find I don't use. Yes, it's hard to part with things but right now I have tons of Xmas things I haven't used for the past 3 years sitting in my attic. I have 10 boxes of kitchen items in the garage that I haven't needed to open. I will again sell some furniture on craigslist (that worked out fairly well for me last time). And Goodwill will get a huge donation next time around.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:33 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,944,313 times
thanks for the info butterfly and networkdad. its now 12 and a half weeks til we move, I think I should go through my closet and clean out any clothes I havent worn and other junk I dont need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues