Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2010, 01:21 PM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I currently live in Philadelphia and am working on a quick exit strategy. I had a horrible 2009 and it hasn't improved much since. I was downsized out of a job last year like many, nearly lost my house, haven't been able to find any job as the unemployment rate here is high (12% reported, around 25% unreported), and this past month like millions of others lost my Unemployment Compensation after just 42 weeks ( I say just because the maximum used to be 99 weeks). Luckily, my Mom has been floating me enough to pay me bills and exist. I'm definitely fortunate in that respect. I had been planning to move to Florida to be closer to her as she's in her late 80's, and I'm the only child. The problem is that the economy in Florida is as bad as it is in Philadelphia and I fear more of the same. I realize there is no easy solution currently, but I know there are cities where things haven't been as bad.

So, my actual question is where can someone with extensive experience (12 years) as a Retail Store Manager (specialty store, not Wal-Mart, etc.) and many years prior in Restaurants/Hotels readily find work? I would need to be within an 8-10 hour drive of Philadelphia as a long-distance relocation is not in the cards due to finances. I'd also be thrilled with a full-time hourly position at Home Depot/Lowe's, Whole Foods/Wegmans/Fresh Market, IKEA or Kohls-like establishments.

I would greatly appreciate any advice/feedback. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 03:15 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Hi everyone,

I currently live in Philadelphia and am working on a quick exit strategy. I had a horrible 2009 and it hasn't improved much since. I was downsized out of a job last year like many, nearly lost my house, haven't been able to find any job as the unemployment rate here is high (12% reported, around 25% unreported), and this past month like millions of others lost my Unemployment Compensation after just 42 weeks ( I say just because the maximum used to be 99 weeks). Luckily, my Mom has been floating me enough to pay me bills and exist. I'm definitely fortunate in that respect. I had been planning to move to Florida to be closer to her as she's in her late 80's, and I'm the only child. The problem is that the economy in Florida is as bad as it is in Philadelphia and I fear more of the same. I realize there is no easy solution currently, but I know there are cities where things haven't been as bad.

So, my actual question is where can someone with extensive experience (12 years) as a Retail Store Manager (specialty store, not Wal-Mart, etc.) and many years prior in Restaurants/Hotels readily find work? I would need to be within an 8-10 hour drive of Philadelphia as a long-distance relocation is not in the cards due to finances. I'd also be thrilled with a full-time hourly position at Home Depot/Lowe's, Whole Foods/Wegmans/Fresh Market, IKEA or Kohls-like establishments.

I would greatly appreciate any advice/feedback. Thanks!
This might help: Central New York Jobs in Hotel/Hospitality/Tourism

Central New York Jobs in Retail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.