Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 11:33 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,392,427 times

Advertisements

It depends. If we are going to talk politics, as long as the people are respectful and open-minded to at least some extent, I don't really care what their personal political views are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 08:08 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,459,905 times
Raised in a conservative suburb in a liberal city. It was nice mix i guess and influenced me greatly. Today im taking the conservative city most of the time but moderate cities are usually nice as well.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:50 PM

152 posts, read 295,940 times
Eh, my experience tells me that neither self-proclaimed conservative nor liberal people are especially "live and let live" in reality. The truth is that as human beings we don't like it much when other people don't conform to our beliefs regardless of what our beliefs are. Tolerance doesn't seem to come naturally to our species and requires a great deal of conditioning to truly be effective even though we all like the sound of it in theory... when it suits our purposes, at least. I've found both sides of issues to be equally capable of elitism, bigotry and callousness when put to the fire and am not particularly moved by those who argue one is inherently better than the other.

I think there are certain trade offs that come with "liberal" and "conservative" cities and there are equally as many benefits, but it kind of depends on how I personally define such arbitrary terms. I suppose I prefer socially liberal areas in many respects and yet most of the ones I know of are places which I couldn't afford to actually live in! Plus, I'm rather fond of many of the "traditional" cultures conservative leaning cities appear to embrace even though I think some traditions are outdated and need to be modified for the 21st century. If I could cherry pick my city's political leanings it would be one which has the love of tradition and old-school values in morality yet is respectfully progressive on social issues. Would that be liberal conservative?

Regardless, I wouldn't move somewhere based on politics and would prefer to move somewhere based on my love for the culture and people. Then, if I felt like it was important enough, I might try to raise my voice for political issues I felt would help improve the city I loved for the sake of the people I loved while ensuring that it retained the character which made me fall in love with it in the first place.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:09 PM

502 posts, read 717,839 times
I'm moderately conservative and a moderately conservative suburb outside of a moderately liberal big city is good enough for me.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:10 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,971,739 times
Has to be moderate for me. Extreme conservative and extreme liberal people get on my nerves.

Extreme conservative people tend to be pigheaded in their ideas. They won't listen to facts and tend to be very greedy while also pretending to be sanctimonious. They also tend to ignore the plights of minorities and simply write everything off as playing the "race card".

Extreme liberal people are often as dogmatic as the same conservative, southern, or religious people they criticize so much. They only really believe in "live and let live" as long as you believe the same things they do. If you don't? Well you're just a stupid, racist, religious zealot, redneck! That irritates me. And this is coming from a twenty-something African-American male that has never voted for a republican in my life.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:06 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,177,954 times
One of the reason I say Dayton Sux is because its so conservative/conformist/land-of-the-bland and I tend more towards the bohemian/lefty side of things.

Yet, being in places like that (say, San Francisco, parts of Chicago & Louisville, DC, parts of New England, certain college towns), I feel I don't really fit in either, because these places are also somewhat affluent, fashinable and au courant, highly educated and upper-midddle class, all of which I am not.

...my little conservative/conformist/land-of-the-bland here in Ohio is ALSO polite, pragmatic, unpretentious, and a frugal life-on-a-budget kind of place, which is ok for me, even if I dont agree with the culture or politics.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:50 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Definitely left leaning for me. Too liberal is probably overkill but I'd rather than that than a right wing town any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.