Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 09:40 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,783 times

Advertisements

Well, I know both - to live year-round, I'd recommend SD. However, if you just want to spend the winters, you are much better of in South Florida. For starters, winters in SD tend to be rather cold (albeit glorious). You also spend considerably more time flying there as you would flying to South Florida - and believe me, those long flights get really, really annoying if you do them frequently. You also will experience much more severe jet lag coming back from SD than you would from Florida.

South Florida, obviously, is closer - it's really just a quick flight that I don't mind at all. While the weather is horribly hot and humid in the summer, your winters will just be fabulous - think shorts and a t-shirt all day and all night (if you so desire). You will need a jacket in SD...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 02:02 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
For a couple of weeks, at least, you will get cold in Naples, too. In fact, the low last night was 51 in Naples and 59 in San Diego.

Surprisingly, rainfall in the winter is about the same for both places. The only reason Naples is considered "dry" in the winter is because it is so much less than their rainfall in the summer. And it is considered "wet" in San Diego in the winter because the rainfall in the summer is practically non-existent. It's all about perspective.

But the biggest factor should be the vibe. Naples, in winter, is descended upon by legions of cranky seniors that clog up the roads, stores and doctor's offices. They are not passive either, and will frequently argue with you at restaurants - they'll march right up to your table - stores and the roads. Anywhere, really. They make being there very, very miserable and should be avoided like the plague.

It has to be seen to really, really be understood and then you will wish that you hadn't.

Avoid.

Old 03-01-2022, 07:36 PM

3 posts, read 1,243 times
We live in San Diego early 50's we are moving to Naples. Absolutely love it! We like a bit of a quieter lifestyle. It is so much cleaner and greener. Weather well its coiler in SD and the ocean is rarely warm enough to go in. Naples water temp gets up to 85 and the water is clean and clear. I would definitely choose Naples unless you are looking for a larger more crowded city. Soutwest Florida is attracting you ger people, a lot younger than it used to be.

Old 03-08-2022, 05:44 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBlue View Post
San Diego weather is much better than South Florida. SD gets up into the high 80's in summer, with little humidity. In the winter it gets as low as 55 which isn't bad at all. It's very comfortable weather here in SoCal. South Florida is too humid.
I think “better weather” is subjective.

I for one cant stand SoCal weather. I need more extreme seasons

Old 03-08-2022, 05:47 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadedhammer View Post
Great replies, thanks.

San Diego seems much too cold for me in January, so Naples here we come!
Lol you would not like our winters here in NY. I actually wish it were colder sometimes

Old 03-09-2022, 07:10 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
Living in cold climates most my life, my dream climate is San Diego.

I would love a place where one doesn't have to even concern themselves with the weather forecast.

Old 03-09-2022, 08:44 AM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Living in cold climates most my life, my dream climate is San Diego.

I would love a place where one doesn't have to even concern themselves with the weather forecast.
With rare exceptions, San Diego weather forecasters have nothing to do with their time. It's sunny and 72... again.

Old 03-10-2022, 08:58 PM

685 posts, read 767,865 times
One of my strongest memories of San Diego was how nice the air felt when I stepped off the plane. It felt like outdoor A/C: 65F, comfortable humidity, sunny, and a nice ocean breeze.

Perfect. And it's like that almost all year, except for the occasional Santa Ana. I never needed A/C or heat during my time there, which cannot be said about most of America.

I like Florida weather for vacation. But the humidity, the bugs, the higher UV, and hurricanes are all tiring on a long-term basis.

Old 03-11-2022, 01:27 PM

7,410 posts, read 6,553,115 times
You're comparing Naples with 22K population to San Diego, which is much bigger (without specifying a particular city within the County).

Even though both are sleepy for my tastes I'd have to go with San Diego as it still offers considerably more to do than Naples and surrounding areas and the summers are noticeably hotter on the Gulf Coast of FL than the Atlantic Coast (let alone SD). Naples, as a whole, is quite upscale and older and most people I know who live there love it. COL is usually not a factor for someone choosing Naples but if a quieter, upscale lifestyle with cleaner surroundings including nice beaches with with warmer water and more conservative politics is what one wants I could see its appeal.

Last edited by elchevere; 03-11-2022 at 02:02 PM..

Old 03-11-2022, 07:05 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,701,850 times
Naples is OLD. I love old people, but if you’re 35, Naples isn’t your scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.