Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 11:05 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,290,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post
Dallas/Forth Worth
none
I'm going to assert in out defense that the Asian population is concentrated within Suburbs which are all 100,000+
That would be Carrollton, Plano, Irving, Arlington, and Richardson.
These cities are all around 10% Asian, so that statistic doesn't do justice. I know the Community here. I'm asian.

What is more so, I know Las Colinas is about 20% Asian. It's a district of Irving. Las Colinas is to Irving as Manhattan is to New York City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 12:59 AM

929 posts, read 1,904,059 times
Quote:
1,500 posts, read 2,454,314 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket
Dallas/Forth Worth
none

I'm going to assert in out defense that the Asian population is concentrated within Suburbs which are all 100,000+
These cities are all around 10% Asian, so that statistic doesn't do justice. I know the Community here. I'm asian.

What is more so, I know Las Colinas is about 20% Asian. It's a district of Irving. Las Colinas is to Irving as Manhattan is to New York City.

Quote:
Dallas/Forth Worth
none

What is more so, I know Las Colinas is about 20% Asian. It's a district of Irving. Las Colinas is to Irving as Manhattan is to New York City.Join Date: Oct 2007

Quote:
Dallas/Forth Worth
none

Yeah, I'm aware that there's a prominent Asian population in the DFW suburbs, particularly in Plano, Irving and Richardson with growing populations in Garland, Carrollton, Coppell and Allen. However, that doesn't change the fact that there's no census designated town-equivalent geographical area (i.e. city, town, census-designated place (CDP), etc) with an Asian population that comprises at least 20% of the population of the town.

But yeah, anecdotally, I have friends from Rice Univ. who went to DFW high schools that were over 20% Asian, including Plano Senior and Plano West. I believe there's an elementary school in Plano that's majority (or maybe it was plurality, not sure) Asian as well.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:03 AM

Quote:

Bobby Jindal (Louisiana)
Nikki Haley (South Carolina)
I find it interesting that the two Asian-American governors are Indian-Americans from the South. Indian-Americans may be able to become "successful" politicians, but I doubt there'll be an Indian-American division 1 basketball or football player (that is not a walk-on) for quite a while. Lol, I'm an Indian who wishes he were East or Southeast Asian...people of East and Southeast Asian descent statistically have the highest vertical leap of any continental subgroup.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:03 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,712,219 times
Quote:
I find it interesting that the two Asian-American governors are Indian-Americans from the South. Indian-Americans may be able to become "successful" politicians, but I doubt there'll be an Indian-American division 1 basketball or football player (that is not a walk-on) for quite a while. Lol, I'm an Indian who wishes he were East or Southeast Asian...people of East and Southeast Asian descent statistically have the highest vertical leap of any continental subgroup.

I find a unbelieving stereotypical sense that you cannot believe that different people live in the south. Is that just reserved for the more sophisticatednorth?

Old 05-26-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:

I find a unbelieving stereotypical sense that you cannot believe that different people live in the south. Is that just reserved for the more sophisticatednorth?
Nah, there was no judgement in my observing that they were from the South. It's just that the South has a smaller concentration of Asians than either the Pacific West or the Northeast, and moreover when someone thinks of "Asians" they usually think of Orientals, not Indians. It was merely an observation. However, the comment regarding the pessimistic outlook for future Indian athletes WAS a judgement:F

Old 05-26-2011, 08:09 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,385,389 times
Asian/Pacific Islander American Elected Officials by state, 2011 (sorry, nothing more updated right now)

Asian Pacific American Political Database | Asian Pacific American Institute for Congressional Studies

Total in the United States and US territories: 471
Total in US States: 386
Total in the Continental US (lower 48): 300

Alaska: 2
American Samoa: 25
Arizona: 4
California: 176
Connecticut: 1
Florida: 2
Georgia: 2
Guam: 23
Hawaii: 84
Iowa: 1
Idaho: 2
Illinois: 2
Louisiana: 1
Massachusetts: 5
Maryland: 5
Michigan: 2
Minnesota: 2
Northern Mariana Islands: 37
New Hampshire: 1
New Jersey: 32
New Mexico: 1
Nevada: 2
New York: 8
Ohio: 2
Oregon: 2
Pennsylvania: 2
Rhode Island: 1
South Carolina: 1
Texas: 11
Utah: 2
Virginia: 5
Washington: 24
Wisconsin: 1

Old 05-26-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Alaska: 2
American Samoa: 25
Arizona: 4
California: 176
Connecticut: 1
Florida: 2
Georgia: 2
Guam: 23
Hawaii: 84
Iowa: 1
Idaho: 2
Illinois: 2
Louisiana: 1
Massachusetts: 5
Maryland: 5
Michigan: 2
Minnesota: 2
Northern Mariana Islands: 37
New Hampshire: 1
New Jersey: 32
New Mexico: 1
Nevada: 2
New York: 8
Ohio: 2
Oregon: 2
Pennsylvania: 2
Rhode Island: 1
South Carolina: 1
Texas: 11
Utah: 2
Virginia: 5
Washington: 24
Wisconsin: 1
WHOA @ CA's numbers! CA is roughly double the population of NY state, but has almost double an order of magnitude more Asian representation in elected offices!

Old 05-26-2011, 10:22 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,385,389 times
Quote:
WHOA @ CA's numbers! CA is roughly double the population of NY state, but has almost double an order of magnitude more Asian representation in elected offices!
Well, the VAST majority of New York's Asian population lives in New York City, and how many possible elected positions are available there in the city?

New Jersey has a huge representation for its size (32 officials), but many of them are for smaller size constituencies than states like New York or California. But yeah, its shocking to know that even though California has 33% (34.5% of the CONUS) of the Asian American population, it has 45.5% of the Asian American elected officials in the US AND 58.7% of the Asian American elected officials in the continental US! Even I didn't think it would be that much of a mismatch, but then again, many of the elected officials out here aren't from the immigrant population but rather from those who grew up here.

Give it time for the rest of the Northeast. It will get there

Old 05-27-2011, 12:34 AM

Quote:
1,709 posts, read 1,057,478 times

Quote:

Well, the VAST majority of New York's Asian population lives in New York City, and how many possible elected positions are available there in the city?

New Jersey has a huge representation for its size (32 officials), but many of them are for smaller size constituencies than states like New York or California. But yeah, its shocking to know that even though California has 33% (34.5% of the CONUS) of the Asian American population, it has 45.5% of the Asian American elected officials in the US AND 58.7% of the Asian American elected officials in the continental US! Even I didn't think it would be that much of a mismatch, but then again, many of the elected officials out here aren't from the immigrant population but rather from those who grew up here.

Give it time for the rest of the Northeast. It will get there
Yup. This goes back to the statement that the Asian diaspora having been in CA longer contributed to much better representation in elected offices, sports, music, etc. largely due to the 3rd-5th generation Asian Americans abounding in CA, but barely present in the Northeast.

Ya, NJ does have massive representation for its size given that its overall population is roughly 1/4 that of CA and the proportion of Asians in NJ's population is roughly half that of CA's. Neverthelss, NJ has wayyy more than 1/8th of the amount of Asian elected officials that CA does.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Counties with more than 10% Asian alone population

Honolulu County, HI: 43.9%
Aleutians East, AK: 36.0%
San Francisco County, CA: 33.3%
Santa Clara County, CA: 32.0%
Kauai County, HI: 31.3%
Aleutians West, AK: 28.9%
Maui County, HI: 28.8%
Alameda County, CA: 26.1%
San Mateo County, CA: 24.8%
Queens County, NY: 22.9%
Hawaii County, HI: 22.2%
Middlesex County, NJ: 21.4%
Kodiak Island, AK: 19.6%
Orange County, CA: 17.9%
Fairfax County, VA: 17.5%
Fort Bend County, TX: 17.0%
Fairfax City, VA: 15.2%
Loudoun County, VA: 14.7%
Solano County, CA: 14.6%
King County, WA: 14.6%
Bergen County, NJ: 14.5%
Contra Costa County, CA: 14.4%
San Joaquin County, CA: 14.4%
Sutter County, CA: 14.4%
Howard County, MD: 14.4%
Sacramento County, CA: 14.3%
Somerset County, NJ: 14.1%
Montgomery County, MD: 13.9%
Los Angeles County, CA: 13.7%
Hudson County, NJ: 13.4%
Yolo County, CA: 13.0%
Ramsey County, MN: 11.7%
New York County, NY: 11.3%
Collin County, TX: 11.2%
San Diego County, CA: 10.9%
Gwinnett County, GA: 10.6%
Kings County, NY: 10.5%
DuPage County, IL: 10.1%
Grouped by Metro (only including CSA with population >2 million...not sure which Hawaiian counties are part of Honolulu metro)

New York City
1. Queens County,NY (22.9%)
2. Middlesex County, NJ (21.4%)
3. Bergen County, NJ (14.5%)
4. Somerset County, NJ (14.1%)
5. Hudson County, NJ (13.4%)
6. Kings County, NY (10.5%)
7. New York County, NY (11.3%)

Los Angeles
1. Orange County, CA (17.9%)
2. Los Angeles County, CA (13.7%)

Chicago
1. Dupage County, IL (10.1%)

Washington-Baltimore
1. Fairfax County, VA (17.5%)
2. Fairfax City, VA (15.1%)
3. Loudoun County, VA (14.7%)
4. Howard County, MD (14.4%)
5. Montgomery County, MD (13.9%)

San Francisco Bay
1. San Francisco County, CA (33.3%)
2. Santa Clara County, CA (32.0%)
3. Alameda County, CA (26.1%)
4. San Mateo County, CA (24.8%)
5. Solano County, CA (14.6%)
6. Contra Costa County, CA (14.4%)
7. Yolo County, CA (13.0%)

Dallas-Fort Worth
1. Collin County, TX (11.2%)

Houston
1. Fort Bend County, TX (17.0%)

Atlanta
Gwinnett County, GA (10.6%)

Seattle
1. King County, WA (14.6%)

San Diego
1. San Diego County, CA (10.9%)

Saramento
1. Sacramento County, CA (14.3%)

Conclusions/Notes:
It's obvious that the SF Bay area is definitely the most Asian-represented metro area on the list. All of its core counties besides Contra Costa county are over 20% Asian. After that, from the list it may seem as if either the NYC area or the Washington-Baltimore area is the next "most Asian." However, the counties in the Los Angeles area are MASSIVE! Los Angeles county and orange county together account for close to 13 million residents and they are together close to 16% Asian, which easily makes the LA area have the 2nd greatest "Asian feel."

After these two clear leaders, I feel like the game of which metro area has the most Asian representation gets a lot closer. I'd say that the Seattle and NYC metro areas tie for fourth place. NYC has many counties which are over 10% Asian and Queens can hang with the most Asian parts of the Bay Area and Los Angeles, but a lot of NYC area counties have very few Asians. The Seattle area has a pretty evenly distributed Asian population (relative to the NYC area), and the percentages of Asians in both CSAs is similar.

After this, I feel like it's a 3-way tie between Washington-Baltimore, San Diego and Sacramento. It's clear that the Washington-Baltimore area has a lot of counties that are over 10% Asian; however the counties that have been listed are quite small (other than Fairfax and Montgomery counties, both of which are reasonably large suburban counties) compared to Sacramento County and San Diego counties, both of which constitute the bullk of their respective metro areas. Basically, the western and northern portions of suburban metro DC have a level of "Asianness" similar to Orange County, CA, but the eastern portion of the metro is devoid of Asians. Sacramento's CSA has the most evenly distributed Asian population of these three.

After this, follow Houston, Dallas Fort-Worth, Chicago and Atlanta, in that order. Chicago is the clear leader above Houston, DFW and Atlanta in numbers, but only because Chicagoland has many more people that the others. Houston's Asian population is fairly evenly distributed with the largest concentration on the southwest side of town and in the immediate southwest suburbs. Dallas-Fort Worth's Asian population primarily resides either northeast of Dallas or between Dallas and Fort-Worth; this covers a very large area and includes many suburbs. Atlanta's Asian population is clearly concentrated on the inner north side, particularly in Gwinnett County and North Fulton County.

My subjective ranking of level of Asian feel by metro areas:
1. San Francisco Bay Area
2. Los Angeles metro area
4 (tie). Seattle metro area
4 (tie). New York City metro area
7 (tie). San Diego metro area
7 (tie). Washington metro area
7 (tie). Sacramento metro area
8. Houston metro area
9. Dallas metro area
10. Chicago metro area
11. Atlanta metro area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.