Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 04:55 AM

28 posts, read 82,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
I have a hard time calling Oklahoma "midwestern." It, along with much of Texas, have more of a western South/lower Plains vibe, IMO.
Have you ever been to Tulsa? I would say Tulsa is a mixture of South and Midwest. Definitely not entirely Southern. Tulsa is more similar to cities like Des Moines or Kansas City, than Birmingham or Atlanta, IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 08:26 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
Tulsa's very similar to Dallas, Fort Worth, OKC and Austin. It's "Western South." Nothing like the Midwest. Kansas City's on the southern edge of the Midwest, anyway, so it already has some Southern influence.

I have a hard time calling Missouri a "Midwestern" state, even though the Census bureau includes it. Even though it does have some obviously Midwestern areas (St. Louis, KC, the northern third of the state), most of the state has a Southern/Ozark culture and climate. It's heavily Southern Baptist, it tends to vote Republican (sometimes very Republican), there is a detectable Southern accent throughout much of the state. MO was a slave state, and it had a strong Confederate contingent during the Civil War. Although MO has Southern and Midwestern influences, I'd say overall, it's a Southern state. Hannibal, MO may be Midwestern, but Sikeston, MO certainly isn't. There's nothing Midwest about this:

Lambert's Cafe - The Only Home of Throwed Rolls - Sikeston, MO | Ozark, MO | Foley, AL

Or this:

http://www.explorebranson.com/

Old 09-11-2010, 09:08 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,508,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
I have a hard time calling Oklahoma "midwestern." It, along with much of Texas, have more of a western South/lower Plains vibe, IMO.
Truth.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:45 AM

1,272 posts, read 2,183,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Tulsa's very similar to Dallas, Fort Worth, OKC and Austin. It's "Western South." Nothing like the Midwest. Kansas City's on the southern edge of the Midwest, anyway, so it already has some Southern influence.

I have a hard time calling Missouri a "Midwestern" state, even though the Census bureau includes it. Even though it does have some obviously Midwestern areas (St. Louis, KC, the northern third of the state), most of the state has a Southern/Ozark culture and climate. It's heavily Southern Baptist, it tends to vote Republican (sometimes very Republican), there is a detectable Southern accent throughout much of the state. MO was a slave state, and it had a strong Confederate contingent during the Civil War. Although MO has Southern and Midwestern influences, I'd say overall, it's a Southern state. Hannibal, MO may be Midwestern, but Sikeston, MO certainly isn't. There's nothing Midwest about this:

Lambert's Cafe - The Only Home of Throwed Rolls - Sikeston, MO | Ozark, MO | Foley, AL

Or this:

Branson MO Official Website - Branson Missouri Hotels, Accommodations, Lodging, Shows, Attractions and More!

Missouri is obviously a border state of the truest definition. Some parts a Midwestern, some parts are Plains, some parts a Southern.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:45 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,030,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowacountryboy View Post
Have you ever been to Tulsa? I would say Tulsa is a mixture of South and Midwest. Definitely not entirely Southern. Tulsa is more similar to cities like Des Moines or Kansas City, than Birmingham or Atlanta, IMO
I have been to both Tulsa and Oklahoma City. The laid-back vibe, accents, spread-out nature, and scenery certainly seemed like western South/lower Plains to me.

Also, I tend to see the Great Plains as its own region distinct from the Northwest Territory states of Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio--which is how I define the Midwest.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:43 AM

970 posts, read 2,969,028 times
I have attached a map of what I consider the 'midwest' in green, with the 'debatable' states in light red.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old 09-12-2010, 12:37 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
I have attached a map of what I consider the 'midwest' in green, with the 'debatable' states in light red.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Out of curiosity, why do you not include the northern plains states (i.e, Kansas, Nebraska and the Dakotas)? Just asking. I know most in those states self-identify with the Midwest...

So far as the debatable states go, I would think it quite a stretch as to that any of them are truly debateable...save that, because they border the Midwest, there might be fringe areas along said border which have some characteristics of the same. Of course, this is just my opinion, but Pennsylvania's history and culture seems solidy part of the NE, while Kentucky and W. Virginia are linked primarily to the South. I would say the state which is most truly debateable is Missouri.

Last edited by TexasReb; 09-12-2010 at 01:09 PM..

Old 09-12-2010, 12:58 PM

9,173 posts, read 13,253,306 times
^^

Remisc, it looks to me that you are associating "Midwest" with the Great Lake states, which is not necessarily the same thing. For instance, someone from Iowa might draw a "Midwest" map which includes Missouri and the Plains states and leaves out Ohio or Michigan.

Also, leave Pennsylvania alone! The Northeast is small enough even before taking PA from us. Take territory from the Western states if you need it, they are bloated land barons, lol.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:59 PM

9,173 posts, read 13,253,306 times
And why is Long Island colored green?

Old 09-12-2010, 01:03 PM

970 posts, read 2,969,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
And why is Long Island colored green?
Sorry, the entire map was colored green and red originally, I just whited-out everything else, and made my idea of the midwest, green, and the other three the red, I must have missed Long island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.