Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2010, 04:53 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,320,313 times

Advertisements

I get it. Let's just pretend that the world was created in the year 2000 and that the United States was established in...say...oh 2001. Let's also pretend that a large portion of the United States population was brought over as imports rather than immigrants. We should forget that while in bondage, this group of people were brainwashed into thinking that they were an inferior race. Let's fail to mention that once said group of people were freed, they faced legal barriers limiting their choice in where to live as well as their access to resources required for social advancement (i.e.--education, good jobs with career advancement opportunities). Oh, and one shouldn't neglect to mention that members of said group weren't even guaranteed the right to enjoy a sandwich in a diner.

We should also completely omit the fact that Federal policy encouraging homeownership often excluded blacks and that local governments upheld restrictive covenants until forty years ago. Another irrelevant fact is that real estate agents and lenders still continued to discriminate against blacks even after 'open housing' legislation was passed.

Let's forget the feeling of hopelessness and desperation stemming from discriminatory practices and wanton neglect--perpetuating a cycle of underachievement and adverse behavior.

When you take all of that out of the equation, it must be that we blacks are completely amoral savages who like to drink 40's, slap women, and rob white people all day. Somebody, please rescue me from myself!

Old 10-27-2010, 05:04 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,622,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
I get it. Let's just pretend that the world was created in the year 2000 and that the United States was established in...say...oh 2001. Let's also pretend that a large portion of the United States population was brought over as imports rather than immigrants. We should forget that while in bondage, this group of people were brainwashed into thinking that they were an inferior race. Let's fail to mention that once said group of people were freed, they faced legal barriers limiting their choice in where to live as well as their access to resources required for social advancement (i.e.--education, good jobs with career advancement opportunities). Oh, and one shouldn't neglect to mention that members of said group weren't even guaranteed the right to enjoy a sandwich in a diner.

We should also completely omit the fact that Federal policy encouraging homeownership often excluded blacks and that local governments upheld restrictive covenants until forty years ago. Another irrelevant fact is that real estate agents and lenders still continued to discriminate against blacks even after 'open housing' legislation was passed.

Let's forget the feeling of hopelessness and desperation stemming from discriminatory practices and wanton neglect--perpetuating a cycle of underachievement and adverse behavior.

When you take all of that out of the equation, it must be that we blacks are completely amoral savages who like to drink 40's, slap women, and rob white people all day. Somebody, please rescue me from myself!
Were you a slave? Did you have to work in a plantation? I highly doubt it. Though it may be a possible that you have been denied home ownership or had to suffer the injustice of racial segregation, but then maybe you are to young for that.

Let's be honest. The vast majority of African Americans that are in prison never had to deal with that. They may have heard of it being done to older family members, but I would venture to say that the great majority of them were just brought up in a culture of laziness and self pity. They assume that everyone who is not of their skin tone is out to get them so therefore try very little to improve their lot in life. And anyone who points out their lack of commitment and value of education is called a racist.

Martin Luther King would be turning over in his grave if he saw the state of African Americans today. Yeah we may have a black (or rather biracial) president but there still is a long way to go. Blacks are becoming their own worst enemy....

Old 10-27-2010, 07:09 PM

93,329 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
Were you a slave? Did you have to work in a plantation? I highly doubt it. Though it may be a possible that you have been denied home ownership or had to suffer the injustice of racial segregation, but then maybe you are to young for that.

Let's be honest. The vast majority of African Americans that are in prison never had to deal with that. They may have heard of it being done to older family members, but I would venture to say that the great majority of them were just brought up in a culture of laziness and self pity. They assume that everyone who is not of their skin tone is out to get them so therefore try very little to improve their lot in life. And anyone who points out their lack of commitment and value of education is called a racist.

Martin Luther King would be turning over in his grave if he saw the state of African Americans today. Yeah we may have a black (or rather biracial) president but there still is a long way to go. Blacks are becoming their own worst enemy....
First of all, the Blacks are their own worst enemy card is weak as, every group is their own worst enemy due to being around those like you more likely than not.

Also, to just disregard history would be a mistake, because we don't disregard other aspects of American history in regards to how our government works or in terms of founding fathers, among other things.

Many people in prison are in there for non violent offenses and if you did some research, you would see disparities in terms of sentencing and legal representation. Yeah, no one should do drugs, but when you have a different standard of justice, then what does that say about us as a nation?

Also, get over another stereotypical view of what Blacks are talking about in terms of race and that is the mention of slavery. Blacks don't have to mention slavery to talk about racial realities that many deal with, regardless of income level. The recent home loan fiasco is an example of this and even when Blacks have the same or similar income level of Whites, they still were more likely to get suvh crappy loans.

Even the educational thing is overblown, as 4 times more Black males ages 18-24 are in college or some type of post high school educational program than in prison. That's not counting those that are just working or that are in the military. I can post high schools here in NY where the Black graduation rate is higher than the White graduation rate in the same school. There are others where the gap is small and the Black grad. rate is well above the national average of 70%. So, it isn't as simplistic as one might think.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:19 PM

442 posts, read 828,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post

Lol, wut?

1. You honestly think the effects institutional injustices places on a whole group of people up until less than 40 years ago are going to be wiped out in one or two generations and all blacks are just going to pop up in the same position as whites as if none of it happened? Are you stupid? Do you realize most of us couldn't even gain wealth until the middle of the last century because we were barred from certain opportunities and education? You think most of us can have as much wealth as the whites have been able to build since the day they stepped foot on the native Americans land?

2. It has been pointed out that most black are not poor and any statistic will show that. Whites have had a almost 300 year head start to gain wealth, half of which was on our backs.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:24 PM

442 posts, read 828,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
First of all, the Blacks are their own worst enemy card is weak as, every group is their own worst enemy due to being around those like you more likely than not.

Also, to just disregard history would be a mistake, because we don't disregard other aspects of American history in regards to how our government works or in terms of founding fathers, among other things.

Many people in prison are in there for non violent offenses and if you did some research, you would see disparities in terms of sentencing and legal representation. Yeah, no one should do drugs, but when you have a different standard of justice, then what does that say about us as a nation?

Also, get over another stereotypical view of what Blacks are talking about in terms of race and that is the mention of slavery. Blacks don't have to mention slavery to talk about racial realities that many deal with, regardless of income level. The recent home loan fiasco is an example of this and even when Blacks have the same or similar income level of Whites, they still were more likely to get suvh crappy loans.

Even the educational thing is overblown, as 4 times more Black males ages 18-24 are in college or some type of post high school educational program than in prison. That's not counting those that are just working or that are in the military. I can post high schools here in NY where the Black graduation rate is higher than the White graduation rate in the same school. There are others where the gap is small and the Black grad. rate is well above the national average of 70%. So, it isn't as simplistic as one might think.
Black graduation rates are higher than Hispanics. Anywhere that Hispanics are the majority minority they outnumber blacks in prison.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

First off, I wasn't the one who first mentioned slavery, the previous poster did. So apparently blacks DO have to mention slavery when talking about racial realities. And no other ethnic/religious/sexual minority group is killing themselves at the rate of African-Americans. To say that racist whites are the greatest threat to AA's is weak. There are no longer laws that prevent blacks from achieving their full potential. Does racism still exist? Sure it does. But so does sexism, homophobia, and religious bigotry.And within all those other groups they have managed to succeed and thrive in America. You don't see gays offing each other at the sales rack at Ikea do you? (bad joke, I know)

Old 10-27-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
Black graduation rates are higher than Hispanics. Anywhere that Hispanics are the majority minority they outnumber blacks in prison.
And everywhere that blacks are the minority they outnumber every other racial group in prison. Of course there are going to be more Hispanics in CA when they make up the biggest ethnic group there....

Old 10-27-2010, 07:45 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,957 times
I do agree that black on black crime and poverty among the black communitty is a problem when comparing to other ethnic groups.
But I wonder who is bringing all those drugs in this country tho? Since it is the biggest reason WHY black males are killing each other...

Old 10-27-2010, 07:54 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
This ignorant opinion is exactly why many blacks feel like outsiders in this country, which leads to the problems mentioned in this thread. The irrational fear, the bitterness and the latent anger drive a wedge between many blacks and mainstream society.

I'm not going to spend my life in fear of some invisible boogeyman that probably doesn't even exist. I don't think I need to worry about my many white friends and neighbors breaking into my home and killing me.
LOL. Thats actually funny.
On a real note some people just dont like change. There are plenty of middle class black people across america living in the ghetto but they just dont want to leave evrything behind or they feel more at home.
If you have the resources to move but you dont want to then thats your(or their) choice.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
I do agree that black on black crime and poverty among the black communitty is a problem when comparing to other ethnic groups.
But I wonder who is bringing all those drugs in this country tho? Since it is the biggest reason WHY black males are killing each other...
Always blaming someone else...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.