Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 09:39 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times

Advertisements

I am looking to gain some information on consumption trends of American Cities. I would like to know what city consumes the most in various genres of food per capita.

Italian
Greek
Mexican
Soul Food
Chinese
Japanese/Sushi
BBQ
French
Other
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 09:44 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
I think NY/Philly/Boston/Chi are probably #1 on the italian. West Coast is bigger on the Japanese Sushi... Texas/New Mex/Arizona/California are king in mexican. BBQ the south reigns supreme. New Orleans is the king for french quasi creole cuisine, chinese I would say SF/Vancouver(not america but...) Greek... probably NY and Chicago, possibly south fl b/c of retirees.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:33 PM

4,363 posts, read 4,561,298 times
Don't know about consumption of all those ethnic foods. That data may be hard to locate.

But a quick internet search revealed some interesting claims. Mind you, few (if any) of these claims are referenced. But they are fun reading.
A list of foods, and the US cities with the supposed highest consumption per capita:

veal- New Orleans
beer- Newark
coffee- Pittsburgh
chili- Cincinnati
ice cream- Boston
hot dogs- Los Angeles
Twinkies- Chicago
cranberries- Boston
cheese dip- Little Rock
Jello- Salt Lake City
Campbell's chicken noodle soup-Louisville
cheese- Cincinnati
grits- St George, SC
organic food- Boulder, CO
Pepsi- Pikeville, KY
alcohol- both San Francisco and Key West are mentioned

Old 11-20-2010, 10:49 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,749,070 times
Miami and Tampa have the best Cuban food

Spanish is probably the most popular ethnic food in Florida cities. Greek is also pretty popular in the Tampa Bay area.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:21 AM

27,200 posts, read 43,896,295 times
[quote=bchris02;16722183]I am looking to gain some information on consumption trends of American Cities. I would like to know what city consumes the most in various genres of food per capita.

Italian - The obvious cities of NYC, Boston and Chicago as well as offbeat choices like Providence, Baltimore and New Haven.

Greek - Chicago, Detroit and Astoria-Queens NYC

Mexican - Los Angeles, Phoenix, Dallas/Fort Worth and many more

Soul Food - too many to mention and not geographic. Wherever there is a well-established, thriving African-American community.

Chinese - real Chinese versus bastardized American = San Francisco, LA, Seattle, NYC

Japanese/Sushi - pretty much any progressive, upscale section of a modern US city.

BBQ - The BBQ capitals are Memphis, Kansas City, Dallas and Lexington NC. Barbeque is a hot concept in many cities right now.

French - like Sushi it can be found in most progressive food cities. The standouts would probably be San Francisco and NYC.

Other - Spanish/Tapas/Small Plates is the new "concept" that won't die.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:16 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,738,188 times
Vietnamese - California, Texas (esp Houston & Dallas), Minneapolis

Indian - NYC, California, Texas, Chicago

Lebanese/Arab - Detroit, Chicago, NYC

Mexican - Texas, California, Arizona, New Mexico

Polish - Chicago, Cleveland, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, NYC

German - Milwaukee, Cleveland, Cincinnati

Italian - NYC, Boston, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Chicago, Cleveland

Greek - Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago, NYC, Philadelphia

Old 11-21-2010, 05:41 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
Don't know about consumption of all those ethnic foods. That data may be hard to locate.

But a quick internet search revealed some interesting claims. Mind you, few (if any) of these claims are referenced. But they are fun reading.
A list of foods, and the US cities with the supposed highest consumption per capita:

veal- New Orleans
beer- Newark
coffee- Pittsburgh
chili- Cincinnati
ice cream- Boston
hot dogs- Los Angeles
Twinkies- Chicago
cranberries- Boston
cheese dip- Little Rock
Jello- Salt Lake City
Campbell's chicken noodle soup-Louisville
cheese- Cincinnati
grits- St George, SC
organic food- Boulder, CO
Pepsi- Pikeville, KY
alcohol- both San Francisco and Key West are mentioned
how about pizza, starbucks and biscuits per capita.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:51 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,880,018 times
When I moved to the DC area, I was shocked at the lack of availability of green salads at local restaurants - when they are available, they tend to be some sort of savory Italian-style thing. Actually, the kinds of bakery-cafe-bistro places that would serve little funky salads (with dressings pulled conceptually from all sorts of world cuisines, random fruit scattered on top, etc.) and such are oddly missing in the suburban areas here. Ironically, fusion-y, new American-y salads are more readily available in upscale parts of cities (and their suburbs) that most Mid-Atlantic people/Northeasterners would think of as <start nasal NJ-type accent> 'steak 'n' potato' types of places </end faux NJ accent>, like KCMO (and -KS), than they are in the more upscale DC suburbs. (You should see the way they bow down to the great god Panera [at St. Louis-based chain, formerly known as the St. Louis Bread Company even outside of the St. Louis metro] around here.. before I moved to the DC suburbs, I thought of Panera as 'fast food,' more or less (which it is). I'm beginning to think (and from a technical/food industry standpoint, it's actually sort of true) that everything west of Ohio (roughly speaking, of course) is one ginormous food market with roughly similar trends, etc. (assuming of course that you control for things like the socioeconomic level of the particular area in consideration), and a big part of the NE (the Mid-Atlantic core, primarily) is another one. I'm not going to comment on the 'deep South' or New England right now, since my experience of them (from a [day-to-day] culinary point of view) is relatively minimal (especially the latter).

Old 11-21-2010, 06:12 PM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I am looking to gain some information on consumption trends of American Cities. I would like to know what city consumes the most in various genres of food per capita.

Italian
Greek
Mexican
Soul Food
Chinese
Japanese/Sushi
BBQ
French
Other
The DC area doesn't seem to have any particular food preference as far as I know. It's all of these plus many others. The more variety the merrier seems to be the spirit.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:14 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
how about pizza, starbucks and biscuits per capita.

The latter are hartsfield Int'l
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.