Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 04:36 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,847 times

Advertisements

When looking for a place to settle down, one might consider cities with active cultural scenes or intellectual communities. However, young people today are looking beyond those factors and moving to where the jobs are. Portland, for example, has a thriving social scene and is one of the nation’s leaders in attracting college graduates, but it ranks 40 as the best place for young adults. A high cost of living, stagnant job growth, and a 9.6 percent jobless rate among 18 to 34 year-olds have tarnished Portland’s reputation as the dream city for life after graduation.

Younger Crowds are Right in the Middle | Newgeography.com

Intelligent youthness the future can be good !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 04:50 PM

737 posts, read 1,654,831 times
I haven't read the article yet, but I'm sure its because the economy stinks right now and the new kids on the block have taken it on the chin for quite a while, so out of desparation I'm sure they would be willing to move to Nome, AK if there is work available. No offense to Nome. Still though quite a few of those cities on that list have strong intellectual communities, and have distinct regional cultures (Austin, DC, Boston).

Old 12-14-2010, 12:54 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
When looking for a place to settle down, one might consider cities with active cultural scenes or intellectual communities. However, young people today are looking beyond those factors and moving to where the jobs are. Portland, for example, has a thriving social scene and is one of the nation’s leaders in attracting college graduates, but it ranks 40 as the best place for young adults. A high cost of living, stagnant job growth, and a 9.6 percent jobless rate among 18 to 34 year-olds have tarnished Portland’s reputation as the dream city for life after graduation.

Younger Crowds are Right in the Middle | Newgeography.com

Intelligent youthness the future can be good !
North Dakota has the best unemployment rate. In fact, it's better than mosts states even when there isn't a recession.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:57 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,415,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
North Dakota has the best unemployment rate. In fact, it's better than mosts states even when there isn't a recession.
. . . and it's still losing population. I really like North Dakota, but most people don't.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:50 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,953,705 times
This is a flawed article. Austin (the city cited as a prime example) has been known for a vibrant cultural scene (primarily music). It's also the location of a large university, which will of course boost the percentage of young adults.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:43 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
While i didn't read the article , there is a slow move back into the Urban areas of this state and the Northeast by people aged 18-35ish with no children. Some cities have exploded , crime has gone down and quality of life has improved greatly. While the OP , has only been to US a few times in his life , its worth noting Europeans tend to tell the truth , think more freely , and are more advanced then we Americans.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:00 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
He Internet is full of pathological liars who do very good job of convincing people that their stories are true.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:36 PM

8,631 posts, read 10,152,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
While i didn't read the article , there is a slow move back into the Urban areas of this state and the Northeast by people aged 18-35ish with no children. Some cities have exploded , crime has gone down and quality of life has improved greatly. While the OP , has only been to US a few times in his life , its worth noting Europeans tend to tell the truth , think more freely , and are more advanced then we Americans.
FYI...crime has dropped significantly in Phoenix as well as other cities outside of the NE. It might be worth noting that Phoenix is one of the youngest cities in the nation and has attracted quite a few younger people as well with or without children (unlike the false theory that AZ is just a retirement haven).

In any case, while I've been to Europe several times and love it (and perhaps you have as well), I think neither you nor I are any authority on whether or not Europeans tend to tell the truth (how can you determine that), and as far as being more advanced, that may be the case is some situations, but not others (racism).

Old 12-14-2010, 02:53 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,917,783 times
....Renaud, I once received an infraction for calling you a troll. I have come to realize that you probably aren't a troll. You are just a French boy with a wild imagination and weird obsession with Houston. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean you know anything about the United States or what cities young people in the United States want to live in or why. You just know some stats. What you should do is take that curiosity, and come live in the US, and then maybe, you can actually learn about what you have already formed opinions about.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:36 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
....Renaud, I once received an infraction for calling you a troll. I have come to realize that you probably aren't a troll. You are just a French boy with a wild imagination and weird obsession with Houston. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean you know anything about the United States or what cities young people in the United States want to live in or why. You just know some stats. What you should do is take that curiosity, and come live in the US, and then maybe, you can actually learn about what you have already formed opinions about.
I would love to live in the US, I want it ! But I must finish my studies before...And I like Houston, but not obsessed about it, I like Miami,Seattle, DC, NYC,Austin and Dallas
As a french boy I know the problems of high taxes and strong regulation (California-style)because here we have a weak growth and a high unemployment rate since 1970, so I don't want the same thing in the US, because I would prefer to go in another place as Australia or Ireland in this case.
Yeah, I want a low taxes place with a good weather, as Miami or Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.