Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 02:59 PM

711 posts, read 1,143,887 times

Advertisements

Remember the last time gas prices when thru the roof? I guess we gotta deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 03:00 PM

102 posts, read 179,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck26 View Post
According to a Shell Executive, we (the United States) could be staring at $5/gallon gas in the U.S if we do not get it together (Brace for $5 gas, Shell exec warns U.S. - UPI.com).

What are your thoughts on this? What can we do together to stop this from happening?
What's there to "get together?" It's a commidity and commodity pricing typically follows demand. (assuming it's not subsidized and propped up by the federal government)

Anyway, as a rule of thumb in a relatively normal, crisis-free economy, the higher the gas prices, the better the economy.

The only way to lower the price of gas is to destroy the world economy because, god forbid, we mass produce any sort of vehicle independent of oil.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:14 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Inc. View Post
Encourage cities/counties to to build out there public transit systems, and for the bigger MSAs it needs to be heavy rail and commuter rail, not streetcars or light rail.
And who exactly is going to pay to build heavy rail if the feds are not giving out funds to build it?

Old 12-28-2010, 03:35 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Encourage cities/counties to to build out there public transit systems, and for the bigger MSAs it needs to be heavy rail and commuter rail, not streetcars or light rail.
If only it was that simple......

Old 12-28-2010, 03:58 PM

276 posts, read 432,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
And who exactly is going to pay to build heavy rail if the feds are not giving out funds to build it?
The feds need to give each transit agency a blank check for transit infrastructure. Where would the money come from? Simple redo the budget. If Military gets unlimited spending then why can't transportation?

Old 12-28-2010, 05:55 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,710,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
Unfortunately, transit options are not available enough throughout the nation, and having a vehicle to commute is a non-option for too many people until we can convince our cities to expand the public system more.
Well, its the problem of your elected officials in your city. Here elected officials actually spend money on public mass transit. In the following decades the Northeast corridor will spend over $1 trillion on rail infrastructure alone. I work in Brooklyn and my workplace is within an 8 minute walk from 7 train stations serving 13 subway train lines ( 2, 3, 4, 5, A, B, C, D, N, Q, G, F, R).

Old 12-28-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
I work in Brooklyn and my workplace is within an 8 minute walk from 7 train stations serving 13 subway train lines ( 2, 3, 4, 5, A, B, C, D, N, Q, G, F, R).
Hoyt-Schermerhorn?

Old 12-28-2010, 06:07 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,710,417 times
Quote:
Hoyt-Schermerhorn?
A little bit further north, near Hoyt St red line (2, 3).

Old 12-28-2010, 06:27 PM

Yeah I figured. I like the fact NYC's subway has multiple hubs in its outer boroughs.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:30 PM

102 posts, read 179,450 times
Quote:
The feds need to give each transit agency a blank check for transit infrastructure. Where would the money come from?
You've got to be ****ing kidding me, right? A blank check with our dumbass government? Further, we have 308 million people spread across a country the size of China, we are far too sparsely populated to rely upon rail for that amount of our transportation needs. Unless they plan to blanket the entire countryside in rail along with a feasible plan of paying for it, independent auto transportation will always be most efficient. We just need better technology.
Quote:
Simple redo the budget.
Our government isn't designed in a manner which would allow any budget they touch to be fiscally responsible and not totally loaded with pork.

We are a nation of wasteful consumers, and our government leads the way.

Again, this whole problem will be solved by the private sector, and from a little inside info I've been I stumbled upon, look into Ford in the near future for a start to these solutions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.