Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 12:15 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I wonder if this thread had a poll if Santa Fe would top the list. Perhaps the combination of catholisism, Native American spirituality being connected to the earth, the art, and the landscapes all conjur up that sort of thing. I'll be visiting there soon. Perhaps Santa Fe is different things to different people. Like walking past a Bikram Yoga studio there is symbolic of capitalizing on spirituality. Some people come back from Santa Fe feeling recharged and moved by its character. Others such as skeptics seem more suspicious calling Santa Fe a parody of itself. Just some observations I've seen on local threads there.
I live an hour from Santa Fe. We like to call it 'Santa Fake' and 'Fanta Se' when we are in the mood to make fun of the place. It definitely draws out the spiritual side of people, though, and its popularity is almost like a pilgrimage site.

Despite its flaws, most evident to people who live in or near it, I like the place. It is certainly beautiful and unique compared to most American cities. I just wish it was affordable for actual New Mexicans to live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 05:15 PM

562 posts, read 989,040 times
Hmm interesting thread. As a neopagan I felt very connected to nature in Flagstaff, AZ. It was a calming place to be and I found some neat New Age shops up there. Phoenix on the other hand gave me a negative vibe but that could be because I don't like huge cities and the desert all at once, I'm not sure why but it makes me uneasy.

Interesting sites? I'd say the Rosicrucian Park in San Jose, California has a large collection of Egyptian/Kemetic artifacts and the park was designed with the esoteric rites and sacred geometry of centuries past in mind. The Winchester Haunted House, also in San Jose. While I wouldn't put it in the same vein as religious places, I think its very neat.

Even here in Illinois we have the Cahokia mounds which were a series of basically temples built entirely out of Earth which to me has a very powerful worldly and elemental connection. I'll post more if I think of more.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:02 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,174,492 times
For me natural settings here in the Ohio Valley.

Red River Gorge country in Eastern KY.

Certain places south of Louisville, up in the Knobs.

Here in SW Ohio, some of the river and creek valley countryside is like that, where you can catch the genus loci in an intense way. Cesars Creek country off the Little Miami river, and some others.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:27 PM

19 posts, read 13,624 times
"Closer to God" and "spiritual" are two totally different things, in my opinion. Spirituality doesn't really have that much to do with religion. But that's just me.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:16 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Yawka View Post
"Closer to God" and "spiritual" are two totally different things, in my opinion. Spirituality doesn't really have that much to do with religion. But that's just me.
Yup, that's all you. Some also say that the word God is also not neccessarily tied to religion for some, the word God doesn't have to be off putting. Others tie there spirituality in with religion if they'd like.

Anyway as the thread implies, what places are spiritual to you? Places that elate you to a higher conciousness or peace?

Old 02-18-2011, 01:55 AM

53 posts, read 147,384 times
For Mormonism I've heard Palmyra, NY is particularly spiritual feeling.

I've Canyon de Chelly in Arizona is.

But for me it's the mountains, or sitting by a mountain lake. Can't get much more spiritual than that.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:43 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,596,327 times
Kilauea volcano here in Hawaii is very impressive. Rivers of lava coursing down the mountainside, exploding with steam when it meets the sea. It creates it's own weather, thunder, lightening and waterspouts. Amazing at night especially. Many people call it a religious experience, some have moved to be as near to it as possible, even with the obvious danger.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:54 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
If by spirituality, we are talking about being closer to God, I think that we can do that regardless where you are. Its a matter of acknowledging divine providence as the source of all our happiness and joy, said the Prophet, to live with gratitude ever in our hearts, is to touch heaven.

In that context, We can feel closer to God in a broom closet if we really wanted to be. LOL

At the same time, I think the majesty of God's creation can be seen in the bounty of nature that surrounds us. I recently felt that a sense of that when I took a day trip out to Stinson Beach. Seeing the crashing waves on that vast strip of coastline really gave me a small taste of how great and limitless God's power is.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:54 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
I've been to Sedona, and I remember going to Oyster Creek Canyon.
LOL! Please don't take this the wrong way Danny, but it's Oak Creek Canyon. It is very beautiful, and there are pools in the creek that are extremely cool and refreshing on hot day.

Sedona is supposedly a place with a strong "harmonic convergence" thing going on, along with Stone Mountain east of Atlanta. Not too sure I understand all of that, but both places are very beautiful and almost "other worldly" in a way....

Old 03-27-2011, 07:26 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Just got back from New Mexico and places like Santa Fe, Abiquiu, Taos, and White Sands are definitely very spiritual. It is indeed the land of Enchantment. Maybe it's the high altitude, the clean air, the cornucopia of colors, the wide open spaces and endless horizons, abundant sunshine and deepest blue skies, or the mix of old Spanish and Native American cultures. There is just something so divine about New Mexico, even though I went back home, it hasn't left me. I can't wait to go back again, it’s a great place to restore the spirit. The silence of the desert is a perfect place to meditate and enjoy the calm and the beauty. The wondrous creations definitely denotes a higher power at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.