Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 05:50 AM

709 posts, read 935,642 times

Advertisements

My Way News - Japan Nuke Plant Leak Worse Than Thought

I intellectually understand that we do not live under a fault line, but taking 300K and buying a house 12 miles from the Harris plant just gets me thinking when I see stuff like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 06:17 AM

180 posts, read 662,671 times
This is what my real estate told me:

"It doesn't matter if you're in Holly Springs, Wake Forest, or Durham, we are all going if the plant goes."

I agree with her, seriously, its the chance you have to take living in the Triangle.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:28 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,963,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLamothe View Post
This is what my real estate told me:

"It doesn't matter if you're in Holly Springs, Wake Forest, or Durham, we are all going if the plant goes."

I agree with her, seriously, its the chance you have to take living in the Triangle.
Not exactly. Take Chenobyl. A 20 mile radius around it was the worst hit and is still uninhabited. The risk from a disaster is much higher within 10 miles, less within 20, and less still within 30. There will likely be some long term effects from a disaster for those living upwind and 30 miles away in durham, but acute effects will likely be seen for those living within 5 miles.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:46 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,252,227 times
Shearon Harris was built WAYYYYYY before so many people moved into the area. That was the reason they built it "out there".

In the 30 years I've lived here, we've never had a problem with it. KNOCK ON WOOD!!!

Vicki

Old 07-19-2007, 07:27 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,984,491 times
You know, it's weird..I was just having a conversation with a friend of mine about the plant and I KNOW this is just a concidence, so please, don't think anything of it.

Her sister and brother in-law moved a few miles away from the plant about 4 years ago. They have a six year old and a nine year old.
Well, two years ago they tried again to have a third child and they both came up up sterile.

Their doctor said it might have something to do with where they live (ie: the plant) but I personally think that in this day & time, it could be a number of things. I have a friend who is sterile from an old job he used to work at in a factory.

But I did hear several stories about this thing has been floating around for years. Probably just an urban legend or something.

But I agree with Vicki, KNOCK ON WOOD that we have never had a problem!

Old 07-19-2007, 07:48 AM

405 posts, read 1,770,814 times
That's just coincidence, I assure you. As someone who struggled with infertility for years (OUTSIDE of NC and nowhere near a power plant--LOL), I can tell you that there's practically no limit to the number of things that can cause couple to have difficulty conceiving. And secondary infertility is much more common than you'd think (infertility in those who had children previously). I'm actually shocked that their doctor would suggest that their trouble stemmed from living near a power plant. I sure hope that's not where the conversation ended. Yikes.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:00 AM

39 posts, read 170,175 times
After Chenobyl there were safety procedures implemented. In the US, it's mandatory that nuclear power plants are designed to withstand the credible earthquakes.

Most of human exposure to radiation comes from natural background radiation. Most of the remaining exposure comes from medical procedures. Several large studies in the US, Canada, and Europe have found no evidence of any increase in cancer mortality among people living near nuclear facilities. For example, in 1990, the National Cancer Institute (NCI) of the National Institutes of Health announced that a large-scale study, which evaluated mortality from 16 types of cancer, found no increased incidence of cancer mortality for people living near 62 nuclear installations in the United States. The study showed no increase in the incidence of childhood leukemia mortality in the study of surrounding counties after start-up of the nuclear facilities. The NCI study, the broadest of its kind ever conducted, surveyed 900,000 cancer deaths in counties near nuclear facilities.

I actually did my independent research for my degree in the Nuclear Engineering department at NCSU. I would feel much more comfortable living close to a Nuclear Power plant than I would living near a Coal Plant or a hazardous waste materials disposal unit. But that's just me :-P

Old 07-19-2007, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by procfreq View Post
That's just coincidence, I assure you. As someone who struggled with infertility for years (OUTSIDE of NC and nowhere near a power plant--LOL), I can tell you that there's practically no limit to the number of things that can cause couple to have difficulty conceiving. And secondary infertility is much more common than you'd think (infertility in those who had children previously). I'm actually shocked that their doctor would suggest that their trouble stemmed from living near a power plant. I sure hope that's not where the conversation ended. Yikes.
Oh I know, lol.
I think they got a second opinion, but I didnt ask. I know about 3-4 families who live out in that area and they were hit with those "rumors" about third arms, cancer deaths, etc.
*rolls eyes*
I'm sure there are several "stories" that float around all areas near a power plant, not just NC. I just thought it was kind of humorous.

SO ANYWAY, the point of my original post was, DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU HEAR.

Its a great area, yes it has a power plant, but its safe.
Ignore any "stories", its all just rumors. If it was something more, I'm sure it would be all over the national news.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesCerwin View Post
After Chenobyl there were safety procedures implemented. In the US, it's mandatory that nuclear power plants are designed to withstand the credible earthquakes.

Most of human exposure to radiation comes from natural background radiation. Most of the remaining exposure comes from medical procedures. Several large studies in the US, Canada, and Europe have found no evidence of any increase in cancer mortality among people living near nuclear facilities. For example, in 1990, the National Cancer Institute (NCI) of the National Institutes of Health announced that a large-scale study, which evaluated mortality from 16 types of cancer, found no increased incidence of cancer mortality for people living near 62 nuclear installations in the United States. The study showed no increase in the incidence of childhood leukemia mortality in the study of surrounding counties after start-up of the nuclear facilities. The NCI study, the broadest of its kind ever conducted, surveyed 900,000 cancer deaths in counties near nuclear facilities.

I actually did my independent research for my degree in the Nuclear Engineering department at NCSU. I would feel much more comfortable living close to a Nuclear Power plant than I would living near a Coal Plant or a hazardous waste materials disposal unit. But that's just me :-P
Very interesting post! Thanks for the info!

Old 07-19-2007, 08:36 AM

7,573 posts, read 10,622,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrickhead28 View Post
Oh I know, lol.
I think they got a second opinion, but I didnt ask. I know about 3-4 families who live out in that area and they were hit with those "rumors" about third arms, cancer deaths, etc.
*rolls eyes*
I'm sure there are several "stories" that float around all areas near a power plant, not just NC. I just thought it was kind of humorous.

SO ANYWAY, the point of my original post was, DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU HEAR.

Its a great area, yes it has a power plant, but its safe.
Ignore any "stories", its all just rumors. If it was something more, I'm sure it would be all over the national news.
Your absolutely right Heather, and for those that need to live in fear,( believe me, I am one that has a tendency to do so) that is one more thing to put on their list.....personally I think one has a better chance of getting run over by a bus......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.