Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 02:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,810 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone....Im currently living in the state of New Jersey and am looking to move out to the Midwest. I have tempered down my list to a handful of states now. These states include Minnesota, Wisonsin, Iowa, South Dakota and northern Colorado. The reason why I want to leave New Jersey is that I just do like it here anymore. I've lived here my whole life and its just getting nasty here now if it wasnt before. Many of the nicer areas here are turning into trash. Crime stinks here too not too mention the traffic, pollution, taxes as well as many many other things.

I am really looking for a place that has a home like community feel to it, not cityish, but more rurallike, where the people are generally nice and there are things to do and see. Preferably no high crime areas around either as I have seen good areas turn bad little at a time.

I'm debating between the states above. Can anyone recommend any areas or states in the Midwest that have a nice feel to them.

Thanks!!!!

Last edited by sirstand; 02-14-2011 at 02:11 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 02:31 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,196,055 times
I might recommend Wisconsin, because the people there are super nice and the towns/cities that aren't large are pretty entertaining in their own right. Just off the top of my head, you could enjoy:

La Crosse
Sheboygan
Green Bay
Kenosha
Madison
Hudson

Iowa might be a good fit too. Souix Falls, SD I hear is up-and-coming. Rochester, Red Wing, Mankato and Northfield are nice smaller towns in MN that aren't quite as bitter cold as towns in Northern MN. I don't know of any cities in Northern CO though...

Old 02-14-2011, 02:49 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,923,552 times
I suppose that you could try Greeley, Fort Collins or Boulder, if Colorado is being given any consideration...

I would give Madison, WI some serious thought, though. Great, great city

Old 02-14-2011, 03:12 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,195,893 times
Omaha is a Nebraska and Iowa city. Low crime is very high standard of living here. Omaha is far from boring too.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:16 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,418,437 times
How small of a town do you want? Marshall, MN and Brookings, SD are both nice, small college towns near the MN-SD border. Both act as hubs for the NE SD/SW MN area, and both offer similar quality of life. The weather is generally nice, but can be brutal in the winters. Marshall has about 13,000 people, I believe Brookings is a little more populous, but Marshall has nearby suburbs that add to the population. I prefer Minnesota, because South Dakota is a little too conservative for me. Plus, Marshall has a lot more diversity than Brookings - a fair number of African (from Africa) and Hispanic immigrants. If you want small-town Midwestern life, this is the place.

If you want a bigger town, Mankato, MN is awesome. Great scenery, lifestyle and economy. It's a college town, too, and not too far from the Twin Cities. The weather isn't as bad as points north and west.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
Omaha is a Nebraska and Iowa city. Low crime is very high standard of living here. Omaha is far from boring too.
Omaha isn't in Iowa, is it? I know it borders Council Bluffs, but that doesn't really make it an Iowa city.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:32 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,810,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirstand View Post
Hi everyone....Im currently living in the state of New Jersey and am looking to move out to the Midwest. I have tempered down my list to a handful of states now. These states include Minnesota, Wisonsin, Iowa, South Dakota and northern Colorado. The reason why I want to leave New Jersey is that I just do like it here anymore. I've lived here my whole life and its just getting nasty here now if it wasnt before. Many of the nicer areas here are turning into trash. Crime stinks here too not too mention the traffic, pollution, taxes as well as many many other things.

I am really looking for a place that has a home like community feel to it, not cityish, but more rurallike, where the people are generally nice and there are things to do and see. Preferably no high crime areas around either as I have seen good areas turn bad little at a time.

I'm debating between the states above. Can anyone recommend any areas or states in the Midwest that have a nice feel to them.

Thanks!!!!

All the states you listed are nice places, and you will find friendly people in all of them, but from the list of states you provided I would pick Wisconsin. Wisconsin has some very beautiful scenery and it borders the Great Lakes and Mississippi river. Wisconsin is one of the midwest tourist states (Michigan and Minnesota are the other two) that other midwesterners go to for thier vacation. Woods and thousands of lakes are the norm in the upper midwest. The people in Wi are very nice and there is alot to do in the outdoors there. Colorado is a western state, not midwest but its also a very nice place with unbeatable mountain scenery. Colorado is expensive however as half of California has moved there. Keep in mind the midwestern climate is alot harsher than New Jersey. Even lower midwest states like Ohio, Illinois or Indiana are much colder in winter than the east coast, and you might think North Dakota or Minnesota are siberia if you are used to a east coast winter.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:38 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,195,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Omaha isn't in Iowa, is it? I know it borders Council Bluffs, but that doesn't really make it an Iowa city.
125,000 of the Omaha metropolitan area lives in Iowa. Much like KC is both a Missouri and Kansas metropolitan area, St Louis is both a Missouri and Illinois city etc..

If you only want to count the city limits then Omaha is strictly a Nebraska city, but many live in the suburbs like many large cities.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:05 AM

13 posts, read 23,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I suppose that you could try Greeley, Fort Collins or Boulder, if Colorado is being given any consideration...

I would give Madison, WI some serious thought, though. Great, great city
Colorado is not in the midwest.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:25 AM

Not really, but extreme eastern Colorado is very Midwest-like. Lots of prairie and farmland, no mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.