Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 06:31 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,391,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
My favorite road trip:
The drive from my house to JFK, then my walk from my car to my seat on the plane, then my walk from the plane to my bag, then my walk from my baggage to the rental car, then my drive through Chicago. What a great day. Honestly, though, that was a great trip.

I also liked the drive through Indiana. The inside of my eyelids have some great scenery.
hehehe I understand exactly where you are coming from. Since you drove probably drove on I-80/I-90 through Illinois probably to get to Indiana you did not see really any of rural Illinois because that's the Chicago metro. Rural Missouri, Rural Illinois, and Rural Indiana, and most of Rural Ohio along I-70 make me snore if I'm not in the driver's seat. Cornfield after cornfield, rolling hill after rolling hill, but relatively flat overall. Indiana and Illinois I'm sorry to say are just as boring to drive through as Kansas when you are not in some of type of a city. At least Ohio and Missouri have hills. The Midwest is not quite as boring of a drive as the Great Plains IMO, but it ranks number 2 for most boring in the U.S. easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 06:34 PM

572 posts, read 2,088,682 times
Default CT to FL

We booked a cruise this past March and planned on flying down from JFK airport. We got a huge snowstorm (1+ ft of snow) and the airport shut down as well as the surrounding airports in NJ and CT. With that, we immediately went to Enterprise, rented a Buick Lucerne and hit the road. Conditions were treacherous and cars were crashing all around us, but the Buick handled incredibly well - we didn't even slide or get stuck with about 3-4" of snow just on the road. It took us 12 hours to get from Bridgeport CT to central NJ because of gridlock, and once traffic started moving, I think I averaged about 90 mph. I got a speeding ticket for going 96 in Georgia. We did make our cruise - we were told by Royal Caribbean that we were among the last 50 people to board the ship (out of 3500).

Oh, you meant FAVORITE road trip???

Old 09-13-2007, 07:27 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,760,626 times
me favorite roadtrip was

Denver, to rocky mt np, to cheyenne, to grand teton National park, to Yellowstone, to Upper and lower mesa falls in idaho, to sand dunes, to Idaho falls, to helena, to Billings, to Theodore Roosevelt NP(both North and South units), to Bismark, to Pierre, to Mt. Rushmore, to Crazy Horse, to Wind Cave NP, to Devils tower, to Scottsbluff, to Chimney Rock, to the corner of Kansas (for no reason), to 7 falls, to Royal canyon birdge, to Colorado springs, and back to Denver - Fun! In 2 weeks too! (4000 some miles)

Old 05-16-2009, 03:20 AM

5 posts, read 7,496 times
Just wondering if anyone can estimate how much time will it take to go to all four corners of the country? I was planning on about three months, is this enough time?

Old 05-16-2009, 04:58 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,593,147 times
I had some time one summer so I packed the three dogs and a buddy and took two-lane highways across the country and back. We started out in Maryland and basically took 50 all the way to the Pacific Ocean in San Francisco. (We did take the freeway from Sacramento-SF). From there we took 1 or 1A from San Francisco to Seattle and traveled east on 2 from Seattle to the Mackinac Bridge in Michigan. From there, we took the road (can't remember the name) that goes along Lake Huron down through Michigan. Freeways in and around Detroit to Toledo. We took 2 in Ohio from Toledo to Cleveland (It goes along Lake Erie) and then took a series of roads back to Baltimore.
I would recommend anyone who wants to really see the country to do this type of trip. It was wonderful and gave me a renewed respect for the land and each state I was in.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,151 times
Me and three of my friends are planing to spend about 2 months on the rode and visit every state in the U.S not including Hawaii or Alaska. (maybe Alaska). And do all that on motorcycles! Any tips or advice?

Old 04-28-2010, 10:18 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,605,974 times
I've driven across the country ( or close to it) and back twice. The most recent one was pretty hectic, in which i drove from sacramento to pittsburgh and back in about 5 days with a bunch of friends. We all piled in a van and just drove. Made a few stops in Arches national park in Utah (that place absolutely blew my mind), Boulder CO, Gateway Arch in St. Louis, and on the way back Mt. Rushmore. Driving through the rocky mountain states was the best part I think, Western S Dak, Wyoming, Co and utah are all amazing places to see. It was an epic trip. Managed to make it there in about 55 hours with stops, and came back in roughly the same amount of time. I'd love to do it a bit slower sometime.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:45 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
The longest road trip I took was NJ-New Orleans. It was ok, but nothing great (I actually really didn't like big chunks of the trip). I thought my trip to FL was a bit more interesting.

I'm taking a trip to Albany-Saratoga Springs in a few weeks. It's going to be my first trip without family, or to family.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:17 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,295,747 times
I love road trips when I feel up to it.

So far my favorite was:

Across Oregon on 84 along the Columbia Gorge, then down through Nevada (bookin' it at 85 mph since there wasn't a patrolman in sight), overnight in Vegas.

Vegas to the Grand Canyon's south rim, and all throughout the upper-half of Arizona, stopping at numerous Indian ruins, Canyon de Shelly, the Petrified Forest, mezas, Sedona. . . Then up through Death Valley, stopping to see unique curiosities in this huge park.

Stopped for dinner in Reno but couldn't find lodging with vacancy anywhere, not even in the outer areas like Susanville. We ended up having to pull over at some viewpoint alongside the road (still don't know where we were!) and take a long nap. In the morning we drove around Crater Lake and headed home.

This trip took about a week.

I want to do the southern half of Arizona sometime. Instead of Indian ruins and the awesome canyons, this would present the gorgeous cacti-laden mountains, and Old West history. I'd like to relax in Lake Havasu, with a final stop in Quartzsite.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:18 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,661,729 times
I would say that everyone should drive to Alaska atleast once in their lifetimes. The scenery ranges from dull to absolutely incredible, as you might expect on such a long trip. The lack of civilization and ample wildlife is like nowhere else in the lower 48. Even more exotic, take the Alaska Ferry System (they allow autos) part of the way and get mostly the same views the cruise ships get, at a fraction of the cost. When you get to Anchorage, travel up the Turnagain Arm on Cook Inlet, and/or Denali (Mt. McKinley). Then get ready for the long drive back to the lower 48. You will need atleast a week for this round-trip to be done right. But to say you've done it...priceless!

Last edited by pw72; 04-28-2010 at 05:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.