Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 11:06 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,141,275 times

Advertisements

I don't know if it's better or worse than I thought... just a lot different...

Moved to :North Georgia Mountains

Moved there because: It's half way between our elderly parents in Lexington, KY and St. Pete Beach, FL. And our kid is in Atlanta.

Liked: The absolute beauty of the place, the weather March through November, the country style cabin homes available, that we didn't have to find a job anywhere we moved since we work all over the US anyway...

Dis-liked: I dislike that I have to drive so darn far to shop at anything other than Wal-mart (my husband loved this feature!) We both dislike the cold/wet/winter months of Dec-Feb. It rains way too much for our tastes during this time. We both are disappointed that the locals look at us and assume that we want to change things and are skeptical of outsiders, sometimes to the point of rudeness.

Overall: We will remain here, well... because we love our home, our new neighbors, and it's proximity to get to KY or FL quickly if need be to assist our parents. The first year was rough for us, but we are becoming more and more acclimated to living here each day.. And since we own a small lot in FL as well, we know when we retire we can spend winters in FL in the RV...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 12:15 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
I guess I've been lucky. Nearly every place I've moved to, I liked it just fine.

I moved from California to Portland, Maine, and I was pretty disappointed there, so I moved on to Montreal, and loved it there.

Some of my moves were forced---i.e., the only place I could find work, and in those cases, you take what you can get. Even then, I found really nice things I liked about the places I moved to.

I graduated high school in Wisconsin, and went to college in Louisiana, and I loved it there so much, I get a tear in my eye just thinking about it. It wasn't so much the college experience, college and I didn't get along too well. I just loved being in Louisiana, which in the 50's was virtually a foreign country.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:33 AM

37,796 posts, read 40,996,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I guess I've been lucky. Nearly every place I've moved to, I liked it just fine.
Me too, for the time in my life when I lived there. Some of those places that were good for me then would not be right for me now. It's not the places that have changed. I've changed as I got older.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:49 AM

39 posts, read 115,780 times
I really like what you said sliverbox! I am one of those people who just 'move' anywhere without a job. And really like your perspective on things. Although it's not as hard for me to find work, since I work in child care, and luckily, people always need help with kids!
I just 'moved' to southern alabama. I haven't really 'moved' here yet though, just feeling the place out. And before I came here, I knew it was going to be warmer, which I really wanted, but I didn't realize it was going to be as humid as it is!! Or humid as it is now in April!'
Not just siverbox! I really love all your opinions on this topic! I agree with you all who said about researching a place before you go there. I admit I didn't do that. Granted, I have family here though, in case I need help for anything.
But that's a good thing to do! Although, a lot of research can only take you so far. You really need to visit a place to get the feel of it. And sometimes it's fun to try a place out on the spur of the moment. Scary though.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:43 PM

606 posts, read 1,078,415 times
Default MY opinion, so please don't hate

Moved to: Small town in North Carolina

Moved from: Philadelphia, PA

Moved because: My sister wanted us to, and my dad had just lost his job because of an incident. She thought it would be better for us. I KNOW this does not seem like a good enough reason to move at all, but you have to know my family.

Liked: Our house

Disliked: The pace, Southern culture and mentality, the lack of amenities and things to do, no walkable areas, terrible schools, climate (I like a full four seasons a.k.a. WINTER and SNOW), the discrimination and teasing I experienced because of my skin color, and where I was from (originally New York)

Hopefully will move back to Pennsylvania, if we could just get our house sold. It is closer to most of our family (the sister who moved us down here moved back to New York). I love the winters there. The things to do. The pace. The autumns are enchanting in the Northeast.

Anyone want to buy a house in North Carolina?

Old 04-29-2011, 06:06 AM

631 posts, read 1,093,164 times
Moved from: Stone Mtn., GA
Moved to: Indianapolis, IN

Realistically, the only reason we decided to move here because it's EXACTLY the midway point between Chicago and Lexington, KY, to be closer to our elderly mom and pop.

Likes: A mid-major city, with most of the good stuff of most major cities (events, restaurants, sports, etc...), along with an incredible low cost of living, cleanliness, and relatively low crime.

Dislikes: Very antiseptic and very little "soul" to the place.

Overall, it is a NICE city, and we were pleasantly surprised. I would recommend living here to raise a family, but we plan on moving back to the Atlanta area, eventually.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:21 AM

75 posts, read 274,798 times
Moved to: Dallas, TX
Moved from: Minneapolis, MN

Moved because: My husband got a much better job in Texas and I was pregnant, so we really needed the money.

Liked: Warmer weather, the people are very friendly, not Minnesota friendly where everybody smiles at you and asks you how your day has been, but they really invite you to their house, etc.. I also liked the bigger city feel of Dallas.

Disliked: The mentality. People are very friendly to you, but they can be shockingly cold hearted about poor people, homeless or immigrants, something that is totally different in Minnesota. Higher crime, more conservatives, and I don't know how to say this without being rude, but it seems to me that Dallasites can often seem rather shallow. You can have very nice conversations with them, but they are seldom really interesting, it's always about the same topics.

Overall: Dallas is a nice city. When my husband told me about his job offer in Dallas I thought immediately "No way! I'm not going to Texas.". But when we were there I really liked the place, it's a very clean city, safe for it's size, and the people really make you feel welcome. The longer we stayed the more we discovered the negatives, but still I would never say Dallas is a bad place, the people are materialist bible-thumpers, and alle the bad things often said about the city, because they simply aren't true.

The problem is not so much that Dallas is a bad, but that Minneapolis is such a great place. I only lived there for 3 and a half years, but it does feel like home to me. I have so many great friends there, the city is so beautiful with its architecture, the lakes, it's very liberal and open atmosphere, the friendly people, etc. I still hate the thought of Minnesota's 6-month winters, rainy and short springs and hot, muggy summers, but that's really not what life is about. If I could I would move back to Minneapolis today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.