Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Top Midwest "Foodie" City other than Chicago
Milwaukee 28 18.18%
Cleveland 37 24.03%
Indianapolis 10 6.49%
Detroit 21 13.64%
Columbus 11 7.14%
Minneapolis 46 29.87%
Cincinnati 22 14.29%
Kansas City 37 24.03%
St. Louis 35 22.73%
Omaha 8 5.19%
Wichita 3 1.95%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 09:56 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,213,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again...in terms of originality, Cleveland is lacking in terms of food. Any food that it does have is borrowed from other cities. There is not a single dish I can think of that has Cleveland printed on it. Meanwhile, St. Louis has its own style spare ribs, barbecue style, pizza style, and invented toasted ravioli, gooey butter cake, iced tea, the st. paul sandwich, also according to rumor at the world's fair, the hot dog and ice cream cone were invented here. Cleveland can't match St. Louis in terms of where food was invented. I have been going to Cleveland for over 20 years, and have yet to miss it whenever I return to the St. Louis food scene.
The Polish Boy sandwich is unique to Cleveland, as well as Cleveland Stadium Mustard. And yes, the West Side Market is the coolest foodie place in the Midwest....period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 10:04 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,097,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
The Polish Boy sandwich is unique to Cleveland, as well as Cleveland Stadium Mustard. And yes, the West Side Market is the coolest foodie place in the Midwest....period.
Believe what you want, but take a look at all the original foods St. Louis can claim to have. I bet you're going to say Cleveland compares

Foods of Saint Louis MO

Old 10-24-2011, 11:44 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,213,745 times
Quote:
Believe what you want, but take a look at all the original foods St. Louis can claim to have. I bet you're going to say Cleveland compares

Foods of Saint Louis MO
No, St Louis does have a lot of original foods. That does not make it a better overall food city though. Cleveland certainly has a quality food scene, even though specific items were not created there.

Your comment earlier about Cleveland having no answer for the Hill is telling. Cleveland has a much larger Italian-American population than St Louis and a great Little Italy neighborhood (the best one in the Midwest if you ask me).

Last edited by 5Lakes; 10-24-2011 at 11:59 AM..

Old 10-24-2011, 12:16 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,521,355 times
Quote:
You seem to be ignoring the undisputable fact that Cleveland doesn't have an original dish that is famous to my knowledge.
The fact of the matter is, having a "unique" food item means practically nothing. I never ripped on STL's food scene. I'm sure its great. That's the difference here. I gave my opinion about Cleveland, not shooting down ANY other cities, while you have to try and make derogatory remarks about Cleveland while boosting STL. To say Cleveland's food scene doesn't compare to STL is naive. And, yes, Cleveland has a great Little Italy with many good eateries.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:58 PM

976 posts, read 2,243,434 times
considering that st. louis and cleveland are two of the most comparable cities in the country in most categories, it should be no surprise that the two cities have similar culinary scenes. the tit-for-tat arguing does not establish one as superior to the other.

when discussing italian neighborhoods, both cleveland's little italy and the hill in st. louis are among the most interesting of their kind in the united states, and both deserve equal respect.

10 great places to discover Italy in America - USATODAY.com

Old 10-24-2011, 04:15 PM

869 posts, read 1,278,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
considering that st. louis and cleveland are two of the most comparable cities in the country in most categories, it should be no surprise that the two cities have similar culinary scenes. the tit-for-tat arguing does not establish one as superior to the other.

when discussing italian neighborhoods, both cleveland's little italy and the hill in st. louis are among the most interesting of their kind in the united states, and both deserve equal respect.

Mariooooo!! The Cassata Cake is very Cleveland Italian American.

And here's another Little Italy link, both Cleveland (3rd) and St. Louis (6th) rank:

The Top Ten Little Italys in the World | lagazzettaitaliana.com

Old 10-24-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post

yes, i agree. was not putting st louis down at all. I'm not from either city, so my opinion is pretty objective

Old 10-24-2011, 08:38 PM

869 posts, read 1,278,311 times
Bottom line, both St. Louis and Cleveland have GREAT Little Italy's.

Old 10-25-2011, 04:44 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,097,146 times
I guess I never knew Cleveland's Little Italy matched up. I've only been to a few restaurants there...I guess I missed the good ones. Regardless, I will agree that Cleveland is VERY similar to St. Louis...Midwestern, architectural, in terms of cuisine, and in size. St. Louis, Chicago, Detroit, and Milwaukee are the most similar cities to Cleveland in the Midwest in terms of culture.

I also am incredibly shocked that Chicago came in 9th! Most of the time, one thinks of Italian-American cities, one thinks of New York and Chicago first.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
I guess I never knew Cleveland's Little Italy matched up. I've only been to a few restaurants there...I guess I missed the good ones. Regardless, I will agree that Cleveland is VERY similar to St. Louis...Midwestern, architectural, in terms of cuisine, and in size. St. Louis, Chicago, Detroit, and Milwaukee are the most similar cities to Cleveland in the Midwest in terms of culture.

I also am incredibly shocked that Chicago came in 9th! Most of the time, one thinks of Italian-American cities, one thinks of New York and Chicago first.
Chicago has a strong Italian population and some AMAZING Italian restaurants. The thing about Chicago is that its Italian fare is more scattered across the city rather than a great "Little Italy". Chicago's Little Italy isn't much to speak of. It is inhabited by a lot of UIC students and more recently a growing number of young professionals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.