Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 06:18 PM

963 posts, read 2,411,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNLV09 View Post
Country folks tend to be very close minded, segregated, uneducated, unworldly, gullible, with very little true knowledge about political science...

Yeah - true. I lived in Appalachia for 12 years so I have seen this first hand.

I also grew up in Charlotte, and could have directed you into some no longer existent housing projects that would scare the life out of you, and there was pretty much 99% (at least) of the same kind of head up the $$$ stuff going on in there.

Stupid is everywhere, unfortunately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 11:33 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,392,427 times
I know someone who works on a farm out in the country, isn't very educated, yet he is hands-down one of the smartest people I've ever met. And I live in a city/suburb.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:06 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,663,931 times
City folk? Country folk?

What is this, the 1800's? If you're still using the word "folk", you need to understand that perhaps people from civilization might need a while before they adjust to ancient English.

That being said, "city folks" are busy people. We work longer, have more mental stimulus to contend with, have more outrageous schedules and generally must confront more problems on a daily basis than someone from Small Town America is likely to.

Well, that, plus we are the majority. Our needs do come first. We generate the wealth of the nation and in doing so, require the capital for infrastructure that we may or may not even get.

"Country folk" have none of the problems, all of the benefits and all of the boredom that comes with living off the system. Take away agricultural subsidies, or most recently steel tariffs, and they'd have to hustle it in the real world like the rest of us working 9 to Infinity.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:48 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
City folk? Country folk?

What is this, the 1800's? If you're still using the word "folk", you need to understand that perhaps people from civilization might need a while before they adjust to ancient English.

That being said, "city folks" are busy people. We work longer, have more mental stimulus to contend with, have more outrageous schedules and generally must confront more problems on a daily basis than someone from Small Town America is likely to.

Well, that, plus we are the majority. Our needs do come first. We generate the wealth of the nation and in doing so, require the capital for infrastructure that we may or may not even get.

"Country folk" have none of the problems, all of the benefits and all of the boredom that comes with living off the system. Take away agricultural subsidies, or most recently steel tariffs, and they'd have to hustle it in the real world like the rest of us working 9 to Infinity.
And I'd suggest, even as a city-dweller, that you seriously need to tone it down..considerably...

Quite a few hard-working Midwestern farmers, in particular, who produce the foodstuffs that "magically" appear on your table might take exception to a slanderous post like this. Switch places with them, even for a day, and see if you still feel the same. You will NEVER work as hard as they do..

Old 06-17-2011, 08:46 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,663,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
And I'd suggest, even as a city-dweller, that you seriously need to tone it down..considerably...

Quite a few hard-working Midwestern farmers, in particular, who produce the foodstuffs that "magically" appear on your table might take exception to a slanderous post like this. Switch places with them, even for a day, and see if you still feel the same. You will NEVER work as hard as they do..
My food comes on boats shipped from South America. What is produced in the empty land in between this country is corporate produce sold to other nations.

I suppose this comes down to a definition of work. I work an average of 16 hours a day. That's a slow day for me. Constant mental exercise, too.

The farm you're describing hasn't existed in over a century.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:01 PM

2 posts, read 4,674 times
I think this entire thread is just going to get differing opinions. A lot of the stereotypes are true, and when you specify a person you met it's going to have a hard time holding water!

Stereotypes are not always generalized. Sometimes it's just proven by the majority.

Last edited by Nautious; 06-17-2011 at 09:11 PM..

Old 06-17-2011, 09:48 PM

350 posts, read 741,059 times
Quote:
City folk? Country folk?

Wow I find your post really insulting. Farmers work extremely long hours to produce a physical product and put food on the table for other people. Cities typically provide services or retail (not that such service isn't valuable) but its an utter lie if you think you generate the wealth of the nation - you don't you merely transfer wealth from other places which has to initially come from the producers.

At one point there was more manufacturing around cities where cities actually produced something but as all that manufacturing has gone overseas there is nothing left that we actually PRODUCE in the US but agricultural products. Sad but this is the decision of the powers that be whether they were a small town factory owner or a big city factory owner in the rust belt, the choice of the consumer who wanted cheap goods regardless of whether or not they were made in American, and foreign competition which no one can control.

So take away agriculture and things that are actually produced usually in rural areas (oil, gas, forestry products) and there would be NO economy - no bankers, no insurance people, no lawyers, or any of the myriad thousands of components that go into any economy. Our biggest problem in the US is that we've become a service/consumer economy and as the current recession has shown that strategy has been extremely unsuccessful and has not provided enough jobs for our people.

Sorry if you work long hours, people do all across America. This is NOT at all exclusive to the big city although at the lower end of the spectrum most people would be foolish to live in the big city and pay $1,000/month for an apt and work two 40 hr/week minimum wage jobs to make ends meet when they could work one 40 hr/week job or a 40 and a pt 20 hr/week job in the country and be much less stressed out. Yes we don't have to put up with all the traffic and crime but you have a lot of amenities in the city that we don't have that we travel on the weekends to enjoy (sporting arenas, a variety of restaurants, clothing stores). We love our life in the small town but also enjoy the city and appreciate the services we provide we just don't want to live there, but again to each his own.

Your needs DO NOT come first. We are citizens too and sometimes we feel like our interests our ignored because we are in the minority. You already get a lot of tax money and infrastructure (where do you think many government jobs are - in the city, mass transit - the city, new parks and venues - the city). Not saying that we don't get money too - without agricultural subsidies how would we compete against every other country that heavily protects and subsidizes their own producers, we should probably have never entered into NAFTA and probably should have done more to help out manufacturers in our own country but that is water under the dam.

There is a lot of mental stimulus out here and we confront many of the same problems aside from traffic and crime - it is often more of a challenge because there is less of us and we have to do everything you would do with a much larger staff but we like the personal interaction with people in the community, that people know us and care about us, the autonomy and flexibility, the usually more understanding and friendly employers who know us as a person, and working on all kinds of different projects.

It sounds you like you are burned out and jealous about the country life, hence your need to downgrade people who live out here. The interesting thing is some of the attitudes from people like coldwine and UNLV09 go to perpetuate stereotypes although I agree that people out here tend to overexaggerate some of the problems of the big city. Let's have a nice discussion and don't dare put each other down because we all have a role to play in society and all or most Americans work very hard to try to make everything work.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:08 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,392,427 times
Quote:
My food comes on boats shipped from South America. What is produced in the empty land in between this country is corporate produce sold to other nations.

I suppose this comes down to a definition of work. I work an average of 16 hours a day. That's a slow day for me. Constant mental exercise, too.

The farm you're describing hasn't existed in over a century.
Not true. There are still many small farms in this country, although admittedly, the number is declining.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:23 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
What is wrong with the word 'folk'? I was born and raised in New York City and I use the word all the time. It is a fine English word.

And I like the "empty land in between this country" as you put it (in very poor English, I might add).

Old 06-18-2011, 12:28 AM

996 posts, read 1,897,789 times
I hate snobby city people and I hate racist, annoying, gunhappy country people. Both are rarities imo. I have met only a few ignorant northerners and only 3 or 4 racist, backwards country people.

Most of the people I am friends with (city or country) are educated, and reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.