Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 04:29 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,673,847 times

Advertisements

I was a little kid growing up in Ponca City, OK in the early '60s. Oklahoma did not have near the problems as did some of the other states due to the fact that Oklahoma had had the Tulsa race riot in the early 20's and had learned some hard lessons. Although there were some troubles during civil rights times it was not like Arkansas or other southern states.

In our town the blacks were all sequestered in the bottomlands by the Arkansas river in an area known as "Dixie Hill". The city had integrated the high school and junior highs by then but the black elementary students still attended Crispus Attucks school in there area. Previously all black students had gone to Attucks for all 12 grades.

We lived 3 blocks from this area and rarely if ever saw any blacks. Generally, if you saw blacks it was on Saturday downtown or they were going to and from jobs (many times as housekeepers in white homes). This is what I remember more than anything is there just wasn't any interaction between whites and blacks.

By 1973 (about 8 years later) we had moved clear across town and were probably 3 miles from Dixie Hill. It was that year that two or 3 families moved out of Dixie Hill and into our neighborhood. Two of the families had boys my age and we became friends. That year, our high school's star athlete (black guy) had a white girlfriend whom he later married. This would have been unheard of even 5-6 years before that time.

It seems to me that the period between 1965 and 1970 blacks began to feel some sense of empowerment that they did not feel before that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 04:48 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Segregated public transportation was not practiced throughout the nation, it was only practiced in the South.
Really? Check this Segregated Bus - Photo - LIFE

Old 04-30-2011, 07:22 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,911,349 times
I think the caption might be wrong.

That bus is Hollywood, Florida, not Hollywood Los Angeles. Collins Avenue runs from Broward County to Miami. Hollywood, FL is in Broward County on the border with Miami Dade.

Los Angeles has a Collins St. in the San Fernando Valley, but I'm not sure it existed in 1955.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:12 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yes, you're correct about Cheyney State. I don't know the other historically black college. I'm from the other side of the state, Pittsburgh. My mistake.
Lincoln University is the other one. I remember reading a story about Joe Namath and that when he got to Alabama, where he played his college ball, that it was different from his upbringing in Beaver Falls.

I've seen old senior class pictures from Western PA high schools from the 1920's that were integration. One old yearbook did have the pictures segregated by race though. I think it was from Washington, if I'm not mistaken.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:00 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,576,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
I think the caption might be wrong.

That bus is Hollywood, Florida, not Hollywood Los Angeles. Collins Avenue runs from Broward County to Miami. Hollywood, FL is in Broward County on the border with Miami Dade.

Los Angeles has a Collins St. in the San Fernando Valley, but I'm not sure it existed in 1955.
You are exactly right. Whoever wrote the caption for that photo must've assumed "Hollywood" meant LA. Those of us who know South FL know that Collins Ave is the main drag of Miami Beach. And as you said, it runs to the Broward County line, at the town of Hollywood, FL. And yes, Jim Crow was alive and kicking in FL in the 50s and early 60s.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Lincoln University is the other one. I remember reading a story about Joe Namath and that when he got to Alabama, where he played his college ball, that it was different from his upbringing in Beaver Falls.

I've seen old senior class pictures from Western PA high schools from the 1920's that were integration. One old yearbook did have the pictures segregated by race though. I think it was from Washington, if I'm not mistaken.
LOL! As my father liked to say, "Joe Namath, my daughter and I all went to the same high school".

BFHS was integrated when my father went there from 1927-1931. I'm not going to say there was no racism in BF, or its big city, Pittsburgh, but it wasn't "the deep south", either.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:14 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Just thought I'd add, Gale Sayers went to DH's high school in Omaha, NE. Sayers and my brother-in-law ran track together back in the late 50s/early 60s.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:23 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Segregated public transportation was not practiced throughout the nation, it was only practiced in the South.
They weren't talking about public transportation, but interstate buses a la Greyhound.

They were segregated and from what I understand it was usually up to the drivers preference as to how they were treated or the price of the ticket:

LDF wins case against segregation on inter-state buses and trains
Quote:

Rosa Parks' refusal to give up her bus seat to a white passenger in 1954 triggered the renowned Montgomery bus boycott, but it was a less familiar protest action by Irene Morgan a decade earlier that led the U.S. Supreme Court to rule that segregation on interstate buses was unconstitutional. In the spring of 1946, Morgan climbed on a bus in Tidewater Virginia, bound for Baltimore. The driver ordered her to the back, but Morgan refused. She was arrested and fined $10. Thurgood Marshall argued the case at the Supreme Court, his fourth appearance there. Marshall argued:

Today we are just emerging from a war in which all of the people of the United States were united in a death struggle against the apostles of racism. How much clearer must it be today than it was in 1877, that the national business of interstate commerce is not to be disfigured by disruptive local practices bred of racial notions alien to our national ideals?
In the spring of 1946 the Supreme Court decided almost unanimously that state segregation placed an 'unfair burden' on interstate commerce, spelling the demise of legal segregation in interstate transportation.
Trains also had this same sotto voce version of Jim Crow nationwide. In that case it usually was a matter of "if you can afford this ticket, you can sit on this car, and if you can afford that ticket you sit on that car". In 2011 that might seem like a fair, economic based, reason for seating. However, in the pre-Civil Rights era it didn't matter if you could afford the ticket it or not. If you weren't white, there just weren't areas you were allowed to sit.

Don't fool yourselves for a second that segregation did not exist outside the South in those times. Sure, it was often not as prevalent in society, but it was very much there. Just ask the black soldiers who came back from Europe after World War II and the defeat of Nazism/Facism...to only be divided up by color when they disembarked in New York City.

Short memories serves no justice to our heroes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.