Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 09:21 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,535,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
More like 50 years ago. The civil rights movement got it's start in the late forties. I don't think there were many places still practicing Jim Crow in the 1970's.
My mom tells stories of growing up in Indiana in the forties and fifties. What she describes is very similar to what stillkit has to say.
Sundown town with blacks living in their own area, separate bathrooms, water fountains, restricted to the movie theater balconies, etc.
She also has some pretty bad stories about how white children would go 'across the tracks' and harass the black children, just for something to do when they were bored.
As this happened in Indiana it should be noted that this was not just a southern issue, it happened in many, many places.

Yes, it was very widespread, but the South got all the press during the late 50's and early 60's, which allowed effete northerner's the luxury of disclaiming their own racism.

Yet, it was in Boston where opponents of forced integration set school busses on fire and even today, right now, whenever a black person comes up on the CB radio, in places like PA or NJ or NY, it won't be two minutes before someone says, "Shut up n----r!" You rarely hear that in the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 12:20 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
I think the difference was that the law supported what was going on in the South, moreso.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:44 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,535,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think the difference was that the law supported what was going on in the South, moreso.
Better study the history of the Klan running the Indiana state government, and others, during the 1920's before going there.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:15 PM

664 posts, read 1,028,194 times
Former Pres. Carter wrote a book abouting growing up in the south before civil rights. It was interesting. I remember when I was a little girl and was on a trip to the south and it was the first time I saw water fountain label colored or white. It was a awful feeling because I came from the north. Thank God everything has changed.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:20 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,914,142 times
The difference was that the Southern state gov'ts sponsored racism. In the north, it was de facto. But in the north, the huge immigrant population also lead to self segregation i nthe cities based on ethnicity. Blacks weren't really looked down upon as a distinct group because everyone was looked down upon by everyone else as a distinct group up north. In the south, it was clearly white versus black with a clear demarcation of state sponsored segregation and rights.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:46 PM

323 posts, read 529,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
^^^

Although I cannot testify to the south prior to the civil rights movement, it was probably over dramatized.... that is not to say it was not racist, but just not to the extent the media makes it out to be. That's my guess though.

Sadly, you are wrong, it was worse than the media made it out to be - especially for the folks living through it. There are lots of documented info available as well as folks still alive. I personally know 2 people with permanent scares from dog bites. There was a reason Blacks migrated to the north and west during that time and money was not the only reason.

Actually, during those times, it was the media that made some folks open their eyes and say wow - I can't believe this is really happening

Old 04-20-2011, 05:53 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,876,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Better study the history of the Klan running the Indiana state government, and others, during the 1920's before going there.
Yeah, but that's just one state in the Midwest. Jim Crow was the law of the land (de jure) in every Southern state.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:28 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,688,592 times
https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/hdodson2/www/race.html

This article describes the dynamic between the whites and blacks in the Missouri Bootheel in the early 1900's. Pretty interesting read.

"For example, in January of 1923 an article in the Sikeston Standard berated locals who were responsible for intimidating African Americans and encouraged citizens to protect them. Yet when African Americans crossed social boundaries by trying to live anywhere or by having parties where races mixed, the paper published veiled and overt threats. For most, a “good citizen” meant someone who did not attempt to step out of their prescribed place in society or attempt to achieve equality with white citizens."

(From the Article)

Old 04-20-2011, 06:29 PM

84 posts, read 157,486 times
Quote:
The Civil War ended 146 years ago. There aren't any "older" Southerner's left to ask.
Segregation didn't end until the 60s. In fact in some places, it probably existed de facto as late as the 90s!

Old 04-20-2011, 06:30 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times
Quote:
The Civil War ended 146 years ago. There aren't any "older" Southerner's left to ask.
Sorry I meant Civil Rights movement ended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.