Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 06:23 PM

746 posts, read 1,677,574 times

Advertisements

HI all,
I have a question: I've been looking through the forums, and need an answer to a very specific weather question. Where is the best spot in the US where one could cycle year round?
I've written off Florida-humidity/heat
California -smog, traffic, gloomy days in spring
the southwest-nice in winter obviously, but dangerously hot in summer/cold at night

What I am looking for is a nice spot that one could live year round, where one could conceivably ride their bike 12 months of the year without much problems.
I don't mind a bit of heat, or a bit of rain, or hills. Too much of any of the three(or all three!) would drive me insane.
I HATE wind and snow.

That all being said, Is there anywhere you all like that offers a nice yearly climate for all weather, all-month commutes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 06:43 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,809,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_gateway View Post
California -smog, traffic, gloomy days in spring

What I am looking for is a nice spot that one could live year round, where one could conceivably ride their bike 12 months of the year without much problems.
I don't mind a bit of heat, or a bit of rain, or hills. Too much of any of the three(or all three!) would drive me insane.
I HATE wind and snow.

That all being said, Is there anywhere you all like that offers a nice yearly climate for all weather, all-month commutes?
San Diego

California's Central Coast (spanning from Oxnard to Santa Cruz)

San Francisco Bay Area if you're willing to wear nylon Columbia pullovers even in August and September.

Yes, I realize these places are in California. Don't confuse the smog situation of L.A., the Central Valley and the Inland Empire as being endemic through all of California.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:08 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,751,987 times
I would think California would be the obvious answer, too. Pretty much everywhere else gets more cold, more humid/hot, more snow, more rain, etc. I used to ride to work and everywhere else 12 months out of the year here in Tennessee, and it was certainly no picnic, although it was doable. Summer was by far the worst time to ride, for me.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:27 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,989,619 times
California is the obvious answer. There's not much smog near the beaches in LA and the inland smog, while still there, is a small fraction of what it was 20 years ago.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:10 AM

1,528 posts, read 6,292,285 times
uhhh. I guess Austin or San Antonio.
If you wanna stay out of CA.
They get a bit hot though. But they have nice winters, and their summers are not the 110 degree heat you get in Phoenix, and not the 99.99% humidity you get in Houston.
Dallas and Atlanta sound a little too cold for you though.

But honestly, CA is probably your best option, even with the smog. No where is perfect.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:18 AM

2,209 posts, read 4,226,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
San Diego

California's Central Coast (spanning from Oxnard to Santa Cruz)

San Francisco Bay Area if you're willing to wear nylon Columbia pullovers even in August and September.

Yes, I realize these places are in California. Don't confuse the smog situation of L.A., the Central Valley and the Inland Empire as being endemic through all of California.
I second this.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:20 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,884,604 times
Seattle. Nothing other than the cold-a$$ rain can kill ya. The rest of the Pacific coast is pretty tame as well. Anyone could handle that weather.....it's for novices.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
uhhh. I guess Austin or San Antonio.
If you wanna stay out of CA.
They get a bit hot though. But they have nice winters, and their summers are not the 110 degree heat you get in Phoenix, and not the 99.99% humidity you get in Houston.
Dallas and Atlanta sound a little too cold for you though.

But honestly, CA is probably your best option, even with the smog. No where is perfect.
Austin, Dallas, Houston or Atlanta? This guy doesn't like intense heat, why the hell are you talking about the "cold" you guys get? 40 degrees doesn't scare my 1 year old baby!

Old 04-24-2011, 01:23 AM

1,528 posts, read 6,292,285 times
^
I thought about that too, but I don't think he would like the constant drizzling very well.
(to the seattle dude)

It's not intense heat. Heat is anything above 85 degrees. Averages in the summer are around 95. It CAN get nasty. But you go to Dallas and Atlanta, and we actually do have snow.
and it's not cold as in like.... Midwest cold, but 40 degrees is not exactly perfect weather either. We do have a week or two each year where the highs are in the 20s too...so it DOES get cold here. It's just not as bad as it is up north.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
^
I thought about that too, but I don't think he would like the constant drizzling very well.
(to the seattle dude)

It's not intense heat. Heat is anything above 85 degrees. Averages in the summer are around 95. It CAN get nasty. But you go to Dallas and Atlanta, and we actually do have snow.
and it's not cold as in like.... Midwest cold, but 40 degrees is not exactly perfect weather either. We do have a week or two each year where the highs are in the 20s too...so it DOES get cold here. It's just not as bad as it is up north.
I'm being snide, but in relative terms, highs in the 20's doesn't scare my baby either (she is hardcore!). It's just not that bad. It's like walking into your refrigerator (or freezer, if it gets below 0). It's the high heat: 95 and humid or 110 and dry that kills. It only kills when it's below 0 WITHOUT the windchill, for most people. It just FEELS like it's gonna kill ya, 'cause it hurts more than heat.

The West coast is the place for people who have "sensative skin" to the weather. It's for tourists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.