Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 10:19 AM

8 posts, read 22,974 times

Advertisements

I thought about putting this in the Philosophy forum, but it seems they just talk about Religion. So I'm putting it here.
What do you think of the saying, "You can't go home again"?
How true do you think it is?

The reason I ask is because we are selling our house in North Carolina moving back to Pennsylvania. Native NCans keep telling us that we can't go home again, and that we should just stay here. I love Pennsylvania, and I have never adjusted to North Carolina. It's always felt like I was in an airport and my flight kept getting canceled. Now when people tell me this, it has me worried somewhat.
Have you ever been able to "go home again"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 10:25 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,336,011 times
I've never heard of that saying.

I'd go with "home is where the heart is" first. If your heart is in PA, you will probably be happiest there.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:28 AM

839 posts, read 2,417,123 times
I sure hope it's not true.

How you feel about N. Carolina is how I feel about Texas. There is nothing wrong with Texas, but it sure ain't home.......

Like Bobby Bare said, "I wanna go home, I wanna go home, Lord how I want to go home.".....

Old 04-26-2011, 10:32 AM

674 posts, read 1,055,990 times
Why would you want to stay somewhere you're unhappy? If anything, you'll love and appreciate home even more now that it's been absent from your lives for so long.

I think that saying (which I've never heard of) must apply to people who do not/never did like their home.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:36 AM

785 posts, read 1,882,988 times
I think the thought behind that saying is that you can't go back to the home of your childhood. Whilst you live in a place, you don't notice the changes that happen to it as the years go by, but if you away, when you come back, it's not the place you left. At least that's what I've always thought.

If you aren't moving back to the same town or area of the state, I don't see a problem. I'm sure there will be differences state wide, but hopefully they won't bother you too much.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:59 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,807,148 times
Saw your post....just interested in knowing what you thought about NC.....Native here of NC...who surprisingly does not like NC...(Trying to relocate by the way)...I always like to find out what lured transplants to NC and why?

Old 04-26-2011, 11:16 AM

17,798 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Well...........It's actually a book title that sort of got turned into a "saying."

Old 04-26-2011, 02:09 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
I haven't moved back to my roots yet but that will definitely happen within a few years. It will be different. In some ways better, others not so good. It will be interesting.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:13 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSt.Claire View Post
I thought about putting this in the Philosophy forum, but it seems they just talk about Religion. So I'm putting it here.

The reason I ask is because we are selling our house in North Carolina moving back to Pennsylvania. Native NCans keep telling us that we can't go home again, and that we should just stay here. I love Pennsylvania, and I have never adjusted to North Carolina. It's always felt like I was in an airport and my flight kept getting canceled. Now when people tell me this, it has me worried somewhat.
Now this sounds very philosophical, but sometimes going home means moving somewhere else. This is true for many Marylanders, especially near the DC area which has seen a lot of growth and the influx of outsiders from up north and other countries (including many illegal immigrants.) The same is true of places in central Maryland close to Baltimore also. Here many small towns and rural communities have become suburban and urban as development enroached on farmland and rural areas. Country stores have become Starbucks, the the old honky tonk bar has become some fancy yuppie wine bar. A lot of the transplants also look down on the natives.

During my travels, I've encoutnered quite a few people from the Baltimore and DC suburbs who've moved to the Maryland Eastern Shore, southern Virginia, or North Carolina. A lot of these folks have seen the changes happen in their hometowns in central Maryland. I've often been told that many parts of rural NC or the Eastern Shore today is more like the Baltimore County they grew up in, than Baltimore County today is, for example.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:15 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSt.Claire View Post

Read my other post I think honestly it depends on how much your old town in Pennsyulvania has changed. If you come from a rural town its probably not changed much. If your town was close to a big city, it could have become more yuppie, or more ghetto, or have more illegal immigrants now. In addition to what I posted here also, look at places like Los Angeles and Miami, if you were an American person who grew up there. Today you go to these places, nobody there is American anymore and nobody even speaks or understands your language (I been to many places in LA that feels like Mexico where all the businesses are in Spanish, all the billboards are in Spanish and the buildings all look like they are in Mexico), so of course its not really home anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.