Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state/city seems more appealing as a place to live?
Birmingham, AL 3 4.69%
Denver, CO 17 26.56%
Atlanta, GA 6 9.38%
Indianapolis, IN 2 3.13%
Kansas City (Johnson County), MO-KS 6 9.38%
Frederick/Columbia/D.C. surburbs, MD 8 12.50%
Minneapolis-St. Paul (Twin Cities), MN 14 21.88%
Charlotte/Raleigh, NC 13 20.31%
Nashville, TN 5 7.81%
Austin, TX 13 20.31%
Salt Lake City, UT 7 10.94%
Richmond, VA 4 6.25%
Seattle, WA 22 34.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 11:55 PM

48 posts, read 131,456 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in relocating away from my hometown to other places whichever a better paying job opportunity comes up first.

The states/cities below have the best job market for my field. Which state/city seems more appealing to you as a place to live based on its quality of life, big city amenties, activities/leisure/recreational opportunties, stable economy, climate with no extremes, and safe & affordable to raise a future family? Please post with your ranking in order.

Alabama (Birmingham)
Colorado (Denver)
Georgia (Atlanta)
Indiana (Indianapolis)
Kansas (Johnson Co. near Kansas City)
Maryland (Frederick/Columbia/surburbs of D.C.)
Minnesota (Twin Cities)
North Carolina (Raleigh or Charlotte)
Tennessee (Nashville)
Texas (Austin)
Utah (Salt Lake City)
Virginia (Richmond)
Washington State (Seattle)

Here is my ranking based on my knowledge of each place:

1. Kansas. There is something about Johnson County that appeals to me. I wasn't excited to hear about paying $800 just to get a tag for your new vehicle.

2. Minnesota. Twin Cities would be my first choice if it wasn't for harsh winters.

3. Indiana. Low cost of living with some population growth is appealing despite its flat landscape and "bland" feeling to the city.

4. Utah. Salt Lake City looked great when I was there. I don't think I would fit in a state dominated by the Mormons.

5. Maryland. It's wonderful being near the capital; however, its high cost of living turns me off.

6. Washington State. Seattle sounds great but I am not sure if I could deal with constant overcast and rain weather. It's almost impossible to buy a house in Seattle due to its housing market flying out of control.

7. Texas. Austin sounds great but I don't think continuing explosive growth in the city will be good for the future. I dislike extremly hot weather.

8. Colorado. I'm not really amazed by Colorado due to brownish landscape and grass.

9. (all Tied) Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, & part of Virginia look too much like Tennessee. Alabama is too humid while I can't imagine myself living near Atlanta and raising a family there. I have never been to Richmond, VA so I can't speak for that part of Virginia.

10. Tennessee. Nashville is great but I want a change in my life so I want to move out of my homestate. LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 09:28 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
My order:
1. Washington State (Seattle)
2. Colorado (Denver)
3. Minnesota (Twin Cities)
4. Indiana (Indianapolis)
5. Kansas (Johnson Co. near Kansas City)
6. Utah (Salt Lake City)
7. Tennessee (Nashville)
8. North Carolina (Raleigh or Charlotte)
9. Georgia (Atlanta)
10. Virginia (Richmond)
11. Maryland (Frederick/Columbia/surburbs of D.C.)
12. Texas (Austin)
13. Alabama (Birmingham)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolunteerTN View Post

1. Kansas. There is something about Johnson County that appeals to me. I wasn't excited to hear about paying $800 just to get a tag for your new vehicle.
This could very well happen to you in Colorado too. If you decide on Kansas City, you could always live in Missouri. I prefer the MO side, Johnson County is very bland imo.

Quote:
6. Washington State. Seattle sounds great but I am not sure if I could deal with constant overcast and rain weather. It's almost impossible to buy a house in Seattle due to its housing market flying out of control.
There are deals to be had, but they are mostly in the southern and northern suburbs. Federal Way, Kent, Auburn, Everett, etc.

Quote:
8. Colorado. I'm not really amazed by Colorado due to brownish landscape and grass.
The view to the west is nice.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:53 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
Minnesota is the easy pick for me, followed perhaps by Seattle...

Old 05-10-2011, 07:56 PM

431 posts, read 928,996 times
Been to all of them, except Kansas City. Out of your list hands down Seattle!

Old 05-10-2011, 08:08 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times
My votes: Charlotte, Austin, Seattle.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:41 PM

113 posts, read 180,757 times
I love living in the Charlotte area. My only complaint is that good paying jobs are far and few between.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:44 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
For me: Seattle, Denver, Austin.

The other cities listed wouldn't really be on my radar, although there are probably many great aspects to them that I just haven't discovered yet.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:40 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,969,837 times
Denver, Salt Lake City, and Seattle all for obvious reasons.

All are very safe and only Seattle is expensive. All have much to do in the city and are pretty educated with many colleges / universities in or near them. Tons of outdoor activities - these are really healthy cities, it's hard not to be active here!

AND, when you're standing in one of these cities, just look at the landscape around you... WOW!

The climates are great too. Seattle is muggy, chilly, rainy in the winter but the summers are glorious with a 75 and sunny every day. Denver and Salt Lake City are both dry with lots of sunshine, and their winters aren't nearly as bad as stereotyped.

I live in Denver, was born in Seattle, and know the 3 relatively well.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:48 AM

27,167 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Charlotte and Raleigh are listed together yet around 2 hours apart. They're fairly different in my opinion. The Raleigh-Durham area would get my vote overall as it's somewhat cosmopolitan yet manageable/less congested than most of your choices. Charlotte is somewhat sprawled and often referred to as "the buckle" of the Bible Belt, which may or may not work out well for you...

Old 05-12-2011, 10:34 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,883,210 times
Quote:
4. Utah. Salt Lake City looked great when I was there. I don't think I would fit in a state dominated by the Mormons.
Nice... No prejudice in that statement, eh? Change a couple of nouns around and you'd be thrown off the forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.