Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 09:31 AM

2,713 posts, read 3,024,681 times

Advertisements

I guess its a SLIGHT improvement I believe Baltimore was number 6 ona similar list a few years ago. (Correct me if I'm wrong). Sadly it still has the fourth worst Murder rate in the country.

Two Interesting things in the article.
2nd Highest amount of murders behind Detroit, which is not surprising.
310 for Detroit
223 For Baltimore

Also The second lowest unemployment rate on the list 7.4 percent.
Behind little Rock Arkansas.
Little Rock. 6.8
Baltimore 7.4

That Tells me that Baltimore's crime is not caused by the economy. Or lack of jobs as some people would claim. It seems to be more Random, and Gang related.

List and Link below.
The 10 most dangerous cities in America - Business - US business - msnbc.com

Quote:

10. Stockton, Calif.
Population: 292,047
Violent crime per 1,000: 13.8
2010 murders: 49
Median income: $45,730 (8.9 percent below national average)
Unemployment rate: 18.4 percent (9.4 percent above national average)
With a jobless rate of 18.4 percent, up from 18.1 percent a year ago, Stockton, California has one of the worst unemployment problems in the country. The huge percentage of unemployed residents may have contributed to horrible crime rates in the city, which is located 40 miles east of Oakland and San Francisco. Stockton was rated one of the most miserable cities to live in the country by Forbes in March, 2010. Violent crime was one of the chief measurements for its ranking. Of the 267 cities with populations over 100,000, Stockton has the 27th highest number of murders per 1,000 people and the 12th most aggravated assaults per 1,000. Last year, recognizing the crime problems in the city, the state temporarily diverted hundreds of California Highway Patrol officers to aid the city’s overwhelmed police department.
9. Rockford, Ill.
Population: 156,180
Violent crime per 1,000: 14.5
2010 murders: 20
Median income: $36,990 (26 percent below national average)
Unemployment rate: 13.3 percent (4.3 percent above national average)
Rockford has unusually high violent crime rates for a city of its size. Most notably, the city has the fourth-highest rate of aggravated assault in the country, with 10.5 cases for every 1,000 citizens in 2010. During the same period, 20 murders occurred, almost double the number in 2000. Quoted by the Rockford Register Star in 2007, Winnebago County Sheriff Dick Meyers said that he believed the city’s “location worked against [it,]” as Rockford receives traffic from the drug markets in Madison, Chicago, and Milwaukee, resulting in heightened rates of violence.
8. Baltimore, Md.
Population: 639,929
Violent crime per 1,000: 14.6
2010 murders: 223
Median income: $38,772 (22.7 percent below national average)
Unemployment rate: 7.4 percent (1.6 percent below national average)
Baltimore had the eighth-highest rate of violent crime per capita in 2010 among cities with 100,000 or more residents, and the second-highest east of the Mississippi. The number of violent crimes has dropped slightly in the past year — from 9,600 to 9,300 — but the Maryland city has some of the worst rates of dangerous offenses in the country. This includes the tenth-worst aggravated assault rate — and the fourth-worst murder rate in the country.
7. Little Rock, Ark.
Population:
Violent crime per 1,000: 15.2
2010 murders: 25
Median income: $38,992 (22.3 percent below national average)
Unemployment rate: 6.8 percent (2.2 percent below national average)
Little Rock has one of the highest rates of aggravated assault and forcible rape in the country. Since 2009, reported assaults has increased while reported forcible rapes have decreased. According to Lt. Terry Hastings of the Little Rock Police Department, quoted by local station FOX16, Little Rock was “down almost 12 percent across the board on crime” in 2010. This may be accurate for many crimes, and especially nonviolent crimes, however, according to FBI data, violent crime increased from 2009 to 2010.
24-7 Wall St.: Ten companies about to raise prices
6. Oakland, Calif.
Population:
Violent crime per 1,000: 15.3
2010 murders: 90
Median income: $51,473 (2.4 percent above national average)
Unemployment rate: 11 percent (2 percent above national average)
Oakland’s violent crime dropped about 5.5 percent between 2009 and 2010, from about 6,800 to 6,260. The city nevertheless has the tenth-highest rate of rape, the ninth-highest murder rate, and the second highest robbery rate in the country. In 2010, there were 7.12 robberies for every 1,000 Oakland residents. According to an article in the San Francisco Chronicle, Mayor Jean Quan has attempted to combat break-ins and theft by creating programs to keep potential wrongdoers off the streets by starting late-night basketball programs. It it unclear if these policies have worked.
Advertise | AdChoices

5. Memphis, Tenn.
Population:
Violent crime per 1,000: 15.4
2010 murders: 89
Median income: $34,203 (31.8 percent below national average)
Unemployment rate: 9.9 percent (0.9 percent above national average)
24-7 Wall St.: States profiting the most from sin
Memphis has high rates for all the violent crimes considered for 24/7 Wall St.’s rankings. It has the sixth highest rate in the country. Incidents of violent crime in the city dropped slightly less than 15 percent between 2009 and 2010 though. Memphis Mayor A C Wharton attributes this decrease to Operation Safe Community, a citywide plan developed in 2005. The plan consists of a number of strategies meant to increase crime prevention, through toughening punishments for criminals, and the effectiveness of the city’s legal system, through changes such as expanding court programs so that they operate consistently and at full capacity.
4. New Haven, Conn.
Population:
Violent crime per 1,000: 15.8
2010 murders: 22
Median income: $38,279 (23.8 percent below national average)
Unemployment rate: 9.6 percent (0.6 percent above national average)
New Haven has historically had the highest rate of violent crime on the east coast. The impoverished, crime-ridden parts of the city stand in stark contrast to affluent Fairfield county to the West, and elite Yale University, which is located within the city itself. The number of murders in the city doubled last year. New Haven has the eighth highest rate of robbery and the fourth highest rate of assault in the U.S. The New Haven Police Department is considering adding cameras at every intersection in one of the neighborhoods where shootings are the most common.
24-7 Wall St.: Cities with the best and worst public transportation
3. St. Louis, Missouri
Population:
Violent crime per 1,000: 17.5
2010 murders: 144
Median income: $34,801 (30.7 percent below national average)
Unemployment rate: 9.3 percent (0.3 percent above national average)
Violent crime in St. Louis fell dramatically between 2009 and 2010, and has decreased since 2007. Despite this, crime rates remain extremely high compared with other cities. In 2010, the city’s murder rate and rate of aggravated assault were each the third worst in the country. With regards to both violent and nonviolent crime, St. Louis was rated the most dangerous city based on FBI data released six months ago. As of December 2010, the murder rate in St. Louis was 6.3 times that of the state of Missouri. The city’s gunshot murder rate for residents between 10 to 19 years old is also the second highest in the country, behind only New Orleans, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
2. Detroit, Michigan
Population:
Violent crime per 1,000: 18.9
2010 murders: 310
Median income: $26,098 (48 percent below national average)
Unemployment rate: 12.7 percent (3.7 percent above national average)
24-7 Wall St.: The states where Walmart is everywhere
The city crippled the most in America’s post-industrial era is almost certainly Detroit. The Motor City has suffered from high rates of unemployment, homelessness, and crime. The city has one of the ten highest rates for three of the four types of violent crime identified by the FBI. Detroit has the sixth highest murder rate, the fifth highest robbery rate, and the second highest rate of aggravated assault. In 2005, a major reorganization of the city’s police department took place after a federal investigation identified inefficiencies within the system. According to a published report, opponents of Detroit Mayor David Bing called for further intervention by the Justice Department in several shootings that occurred last year.
1. Flint, Michigan Population: 109,245
Violent crime per 1,000: 22
2010 murders: 53
Median income: $27,049 (46.1 percent below national average)
Unemployment rate: 11.8 percent (2.8 percent above national average)
The number of violent crimes committed in Flint increased for all categories considered for this list between 2009 and 2010. Perhaps most notably, the number of murders in the city increased from 36 to 53. This moves the city from having the seventh-highest rate of homicide to the second-highest. The number of aggravated assaults increased from 1,529 to 1,579, a rate of 14.6 assaults per 1,000 residents, placing the city in the number one rank for rate of assaults. Flint police chief Alvern Lock stated late last year that he believed the city’s violence stemmed from drugs and gangs. Flint has a relatively small median income of about $27,000 per household. The city also has a poverty rate of 36.2 percent.
On a side note its a few cities on this list I never knew would have made the list.

Little Rock? New Haven? I had no idea they were that bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 09:34 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,601,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
I guess its a SLIGHT improvement I believe Baltimore was number 6 a few years ago. (Correct me if I'm wrong).
Two Interesting things in the article.

2nd Highest amount of murders behind Detroit, which is not surprising.
310 for Detroit
223 For Baltimore

Also The second lowest unemployment rate on the list 7.4 percent.
Behind little Rock Arkansas.

Little Rock. 6.8
Baltimore 7.4

That Tells me that Baltimore's crime is not caused by the economy. Or lack of jobs as some people would claim. It seems to be more Random, and Gang related.

List and Link below.
The 10 most dangerous cities in America - Business - US business - msnbc.com

Your first quote is a bit misleading. Baltimore ranks second behind Detroit for cities over 500 thousand. However, when other cities below that mark are added into the equation, (ie. St Louis, New Orleans, etc) Baltimore slips way below.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:49 PM

7,022 posts, read 11,317,487 times
Unemployment only counts people that are "looking for work." If you aren't looking for work, you aren't counted as part of the workforce, employed or unemployed. I suspect a large part of the working age population is not looking for work, but on assistance or employed in the black market trade instead.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:30 PM

251 posts, read 721,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
I'd say that if the violence is gang related it is not random. When most of the victims are themselves drug dealers, that means the violence is caused BY employment, just not legal employment.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:19 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,212,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Unemployment only counts people that are "looking for work." If you aren't looking for work, you aren't counted as part of the workforce, employed or unemployed. I suspect a large part of the working age population is not looking for work, but on assistance or employed in the black market trade instead.
Neither do people who are underemployed or working part time.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:46 AM

2,713 posts, read 3,024,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by End-User View Post
I'd say that if the violence is gang related it is not random. When most of the victims are themselves drug dealers, that means the violence is caused BY employment, just not legal employment.

Yeah I typed Random and gang related.. A mixture of both...
Also it is possible for gang violence to random.
I believe last year there was a tourist near the harbor that was beaten and the cops thought the suspect was a gang member.
A few years ago when there was a shooting of a young man, because the suspect, teenager was going through "Gang Initiation."

So yeah gang related crimes can be pretty random.

This is all in my opinion of course.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:23 PM

2,597 posts, read 4,660,594 times
Default boredatwork

Some ppl standing on the corner in Baltimore look like they are ready to die. they arent bums they arent waiting for a bus....If some1 told them that there's a 50% chance you can die on the corner they would stand there anyway

Old 05-31-2011, 07:05 PM

251 posts, read 721,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Some ppl standing on the corner in Baltimore look like they are ready to die. they arent bums they arent waiting for a bus....If some1 told them that there's a 50% chance you can die on the corner they would stand there anyway
Sounds like an untapped market for Prozac.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:12 PM

143 posts, read 365,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by End-User View Post
I think they should legalize all the drugs that are currently illegal. Not because I think people should do them, but to alleviate the violence associated with the drug trade. Think of how many people die behind the drug trade, not just here but in Mexico and all over the world. The money that's spent on enforcement could then be diverted to preventing and investigating other crime (No need to layoff a single person.) The money that's spent incarcerating purely narcotics offenders could be spent on educational programs or we could reduce taxes.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:15 PM

143 posts, read 365,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Look like they're ready to die?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.