Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2023, 11:54 AM

2,364 posts, read 1,853,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Even in those towns humid days with highs in the 80s and lows in the mid 60s will be common enough in summer. That's not really a 'cool' summer, and without A/C may lead to plenty of sweating, it's simply a somewhat moderated form of the hot, humid Southern summer.

And of course even if you build your house on top of a hill which may have even cooler conditions than 'town', you'll naturally have to frequently head into lower, hotter elevations to run errands, go to school/work etc. so you will not necessarily feel like you're experiencing a 'cool summer'.

There is only one area in the United States that will have almost reliably a cool summer - directly on the water of the Pacific or Arctic Ocean. The further northward the better. Coastal Alaska being the most ironclad cool summer area of the country.

Every other suggestion is putting lipstick on a pig (if you don't like summer warmth). Even the UP of Michigan, the Northern parts of Minnesota and Wisconsin or Maine will have no shortage of warm to hot days in July and August.
Likewise the only area in the continental US that will have almost realiably a warm winter is Florida south of I-4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2023, 10:09 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Likewise the only area in the continental US that will have almost realiably a warm winter is Florida south of I-4
I think it's lower than I-4. Draw that line from Ft. Myers to West Palm Beach.

Old 05-31-2023, 07:12 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,383,950 times
Quote:
Even in those towns humid days with highs in the 80s and lows in the mid 60s will be common enough in summer. That's not really a 'cool' summer, and without A/C may lead to plenty of sweating, it's simply a somewhat moderated form of the hot, humid Southern summer.

And of course even if you build your house on top of a hill which may have even cooler conditions than 'town', you'll naturally have to frequently head into lower, hotter elevations to run errands, go to school/work etc. so you will not necessarily feel like you're experiencing a 'cool summer'.

There is only one area in the United States that will have almost reliably a cool summer - directly on the water of the Pacific or Arctic Ocean. The further northward the better. Coastal Alaska being the most ironclad cool summer area of the country.

Every other suggestion is putting lipstick on a pig (if you don't like summer warmth). Even the UP of Michigan, the Northern parts of Minnesota and Wisconsin or Maine will have no shortage of warm to hot days in July and August.
That's a bizarrely maximalist definition of "cool summers."

If we go back to the original post in this thread, the OP asked for, ideally, a place with summers akin to SF/Seattle, but would settle for Boston.

Boston hi/lo summer temps, on average: May- 66/50. June- 76-60. July- 81/65. Aug- 80/65

Boone, NC hi/lo summer temps, on average: May- 69/46. June- 76/54. July- 79/58. Aug- 78/57
In addition, nearby towns like Banner Elk, NC, average about 2 degrees cooler across the board, bringing it within striking distance of Seattle.

(all stats from usclimatedata.com)

As discussed elsewhere in this thread, these are towns, not cities, but there's a reason the mountains of NC are awash in Florida license plates in the dog days of summer.

Old 06-01-2023, 08:12 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,810,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Nah it’s higher than that. The entire state of Florida is sufficiently warm winter.

Old 06-01-2023, 08:41 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
That's a little too far south though suppose it depends on definition utilized here. As a Native Floridian I would call it the line from Port St Lucie to Venice and south of there.

Old 06-01-2023, 08:54 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
As mentioned Gatlinburg sees little change as does Cherokee at 1900 feet. Waynesville fares better at 2700 feet however but is east of the mountains like the other high elevation town options. Beech Mountain NC is at 5500 feet, Highlands NC is at 4100 feet, Banner Elk NC is at 3700 feet, Blowing Rock NC is at 3600 feet, Cashiers NC is at 3500 feet and Boone NC is at 3300 feet with each showing very tangible cooling in summer.
Quote:
Temps topping out at around 80 degrees with 60% humidity typically don't cause plenty of sweating unless exercising or if having some form of medical condition. I realize some have disorders where they find any humidity above 30%-40% oppressive, but for the majority it's pleasurable conditions.

Old 06-04-2023, 11:50 AM

Quote:
That's a little too far south though suppose it depends on definition utilized here. As a Native Floridian I would call it the line from Port St Lucie to Venice and south of there.
that isn't too far from I-4. Daytona is pushing it a little, but things change really quickly on the Alantic coast as you move south from there. Melbourne is not that different from PSL at all. Basically I would say anyplace where every month average is 70+ and low is 50+ is a warm winter place. Especially in Florida where those winter months are really sunny.

Especialy when you consider that poster who said the PNW has cool summers. Tuesday is forecast to be 94 in Portland. And that city averages high is 80 all summer. Not that cool compared to say London summers.

Old 06-04-2023, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Temps topping out at around 80 degrees with 60% humidity typically don't cause plenty of sweating unless exercising or if having some form of medical condition. I realize some have disorders where they find any humidity above 30%-40% oppressive, but for the majority it's pleasurable conditions.
Yeah I read online all the time how people are cranking theirAC when it's a high of 75-80 and low is in the 50s is kind of crazy to me. Everyone has different preference though. Weather we are having here this week is highs in the mid 80s lows in the mid 60s. Dew points in the low 60s. It's really nice weather. Any hotter and it feels hot/need to run AC during the day. Any cooler and you need a shirt on to drink your coffee outside in the morning
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.