Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 10:34 AM

107 posts, read 1,202,915 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are wanting to relocate our family in the near future and we're having a hard time figuring out where. We want to get out of Nebraska where it's humid in the summers and gets plenty of snow and cold weather in the winters. We are really looking for some place that has mild winters, even colder but not 32 all the time, more like 50's or so, so the kids can play. And the summers, we don't mind some hot weather, just not a lot of humidity. We'll take some humidity over cold weather in winter any day though. It needs to be a family friendly place with decent school systems. I know I'm not the only one out there in the big USA that is looking or has looked for some place like this. Can anyone suggest any states and/or cities to live in? I grew up in Southern California and it's just so darn expensive out there so we're trying to stay away from that type.

Thanks in advance!

Rebecca
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 10:41 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmomof3 View Post
My husband and I are wanting to relocate our family in the near future and we're having a hard time figuring out where. We want to get out of Nebraska where it's humid in the summers and gets plenty of snow and cold weather in the winters. We are really looking for some place that has mild winters, even colder but not 32 all the time, more like 50's or so, so the kids can play. And the summers, we don't mind some hot weather, just not a lot of humidity. We'll take some humidity over cold weather in winter any day though. It needs to be a family friendly place with decent school systems. I know I'm not the only one out there in the big USA that is looking or has looked for some place like this. Can anyone suggest any states and/or cities to live in? I grew up in Southern California and it's just so darn expensive out there so we're trying to stay away from that type.

Thanks in advance!

Rebecca
Saint George, Utah
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Flagstaff, Arizona

Old 04-25-2008, 10:45 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,877,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmomof3 View Post

Thanks in advance!
Rebecca
Well if you think NE is humid, stay away from NY! From what I hear NE humidity is usually no higher than 50% or so whereas in NY 90% and higher is common.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:53 AM

Ya we're pretty humid for my taste but like I said I can deal with this type of humidity if I can find winters that don't have much snow and are very mild. I really wish I could find southern California in another state to be honest. The weather is PERFECT for what I want there, I just don't like the expense and crouds.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:06 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Saint George, Utah
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Flagstaff, Arizona
Flagstaff? Heavens no!!!! FRIGGIN COLD AND TONS OF SNOW.

Id agree with St. George and Albuquerque, which are high desert also, but with mild winter days and friggin cold nights. Id also check into Alamogordo, NM or maybe even Amarillo, TX. All the places I mentioned get snow (sometimes lots), but it melts within a few days when the temps rebound. Those places have dry climates, but also get dang hot in summer (not Phoenix hot though). Be prepared for summer monsoon season where the humidity soars and makes things quite uncomfortable, but not like Florida. Winters will be in the 40s and 50s, maybe some 60s, nights in the 30s, 20s and teens.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:08 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
Well if you think NE is humid, stay away from NY! From what I hear NE humidity is usually no higher than 50% or so whereas in NY 90% and higher is common.
Depends on what part of which state you are talking about. NYC is much more humid than North Platte, but Omaha is much more humid than Buffalo.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:21 AM

Ya but NY is SOOO expensive! And I know about Arizona and NM, beautiful but very hot. I wonder what winters are like in Colorado Springs? I heard Washington was pretty but again I know they get a lot of rain or snow. I'm hoping some people write about what it's like in the states in between mid west and East. I have no clue what Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, all those are like in winter or summer.

It's amazing what someone's perspective is on a state or city until they go visit. Two years ago in July we went to visit Kalispell, Montana. Here we thought it was going to be all open ranges and desolite for the most part and oh my gosh was it gorgous and like a resort town! But it's more expensive than San Diego even housing wise.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:33 AM

1,225 posts, read 3,228,119 times
What's so bad about humidity?

It moisturizes your skin, eyes, sinuses, throat, etc...

Maybe it's just me, but I have a hard time with low humidity climates: you have to constantly lather on the lotion (which ultimately never solves the problem), and your skin tends to over-produce oil to compensate for the dryness... yuck. I'd rather deal with a little humidity.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:37 AM

It's not the moisture as much as the moisture with the heat that bothers me. I hate the sticky feeling you have when you walk outside like you've just stepped into a steamy bathroom. I have to say I'm getting used to it after living here since 2001 but still, I'd much prefer dryer a bit. That said, again, it's the winters that kill us here. This past winter it was SO cold in Nebraska all the time and either snowy or rainy that I couldn't let my kids play in the yard much. Talk about cabin fever!

Old 04-25-2008, 12:16 PM

694 posts, read 2,651,058 times
Quote:
Flagstaff? Heavens no!!!! FRIGGIN COLD
Ditto That ! ( Turrrrrned one of my testicles into an ovary )

St. George is Brutal hot - dry heat at 114 is still brutal.
.... and if your not LDS...... it can get kinda weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.