Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 11:31 PM

18 posts, read 28,524 times

Advertisements

Well I am 16 years old and I have a nice chunk of change. I was thinking bout the bad econonomy and how I hate the weather where i live (Michigan). So I was thinking about moving down south in a year and a half or so when I am 18. Now I was wondering what states i should check out, I need a place where there is good hunting and fishing (Hunting is my life) But the area also has to have a decent econonomy and realitivly cheap costs of living. Now climate wase i dont mind a little bit of a winter, I just dont like having to whear a jacket 75% of the year. Any ideas of areas i should concider? I am kinda thinking Arkansas or Alabama, But I came to to ask for some more opinions.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 11:49 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Will you be going to college? Would you like the city or country?

Sportsman's Paradise is great for hunting and fishing.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:57 PM

I will just go to a trade school. No university or anything like that. And country for sure.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:13 AM

Mountainous like Arkansas and Alabama? Or would relatively flat, with subtle hills work?

I've always loved St. Francisville, LA. Really small town, in the metro area of Baton Rouge but is fully detached from the city. My dad has a pretty large camp up in that area, as do many other people. I'm not too sure where public hunting grounds are but that is a pretty popular area for hunters.

Check out Natchitoches, LA as well.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Mountainous like Arkansas and Alabama? Or would relatively flat, with subtle hills work?

I've always loved St. Francisville, LA. Really small town, in the metro area of Baton Rouge but is fully detached from the city. My dad has a pretty large camp up in that area, as do many other people. I'm not too sure where public hunting grounds are but that is a pretty popular area for hunters.

Check out Natchitoches, LA as well.
It really dont matter...But I do preffer it hilly

Old 08-14-2011, 12:26 AM

Check them out, quite possibly the Natchez or Greenville, MS area as well. Greenville is across the MS river from Arkansas. Don't forget world-class deep sea fishing in our waters.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:52 AM

316 posts, read 560,039 times
Georgia.

Old 08-14-2011, 03:17 AM

654 posts, read 1,909,729 times
You might look into Harrison, AR. It is a town of about 12,000 people in the hills of the Ozarks and there is a community college/trade school there ( Arkansas Colleges and Universities - North Arkansas Community College) and hunting in the area. The fishing is supposedly highly regarded with the Buffalo River in the area and Bull Shoals Lake and Table Rock Lake nearby. It is also a reasonable distance from Springfield, MO (about 70 miles), Branson, MO (about 35), Fayetteville, AR (about 75 miles) and Little Rock (130 miles) when you need something not found in Harrison.

I grew up in the area. If you have questions, message me and I'll help any way I can.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:23 PM

Ok, another question. I here that in some places in the south people are rude to people from the north. Is this true? But funny thing is my voice has a southern drawl to it, I dont notice it but even people in georgia are like WTF your from michigan. (I am 99% sure it is just a load of BS, I know alot of people make the south sound like a nasty place)

Old 08-14-2011, 02:30 PM

One of my old best friends is from Ohio and I never let him live it down. He said semi, we said 18-wheeler, he said freeway, we said interstate. More of a life-long joke than anything to be worried about. At least that's how I've always been, you may run into someone, especially in the country, who could very well be much more ignorant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.