Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 09:59 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,655,803 times

Advertisements

Actually,you know,its not as much that people forget about certain states,because it would be pretty sad if you didn't know all 50 states in the US,its just that they don't care about certain states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 11:33 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
You can't forget Delaware as most people probably send at least one credit card payment there every month

Can't forget Maine either as how many times have we heard that our fearless leader (gag, choke, spit, hack, hack) visits there often.

Vermont - please. Even this state was featured in a widely popular TV program. Hi, I'm Darrell and this is my brother Darrell and my other brother Darrell.

I was going to name the most forgotten state but someone beat me to it:

New Mexico by no means wins in this catagory for MANY reasons. First off being that people that don't live in a state neighboring it don't even realize it IS a state in the US. Sad but true. Just go around and ask - ask a stupid question to people unwittingly just to see what their answer is. Here is one to try: Do you need a passport to travel to New Mexico? See how many people really have to think about this. There is NO OTHER state PERIOD that gets more lack of knowledge concerning its statehood from many Americans. Seondly, many Americans have never, ever thought about visiting New Mexico for ANY reason. Not even for passing thru it. Being a Native Texan it was ALWAYS a pit stop on our many trips to Colorado. How many people in Delaware, Vermont, Maine, etc even know where or that New Mexico even exists?

Btw, I've been to New Mexico MANY times, stayed there, spent time there, know people from there and people that live there.

Old 08-11-2007, 12:12 AM

362 posts, read 1,856,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Now seriously, Montana is truly a state that can leave the Union today and nobody will miss it.
I love these people who think that if a state has a low population, it's worthless.

Old 08-11-2007, 12:14 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
MT's 4th in size.

Vermont? no way. it's part of NE and a big vacation spot. i think they were also the first to legalize gay marriage? howard dean's from VT.

with the exception of rehoboth beach (which isn't all that popular), there's really no other vacation spot in DE. you NEVER hear about it, and it's only 1 state south of me!

they do have cheap cigs and booze though.
Vermont doesn't have gay marriage... they have those bull**** civil unions... but hey... I guess its a stepping stone. The only state with actual gay marriage is Massachusetts, with New Jersey, and Vermon having civil unions.

Old 08-11-2007, 01:48 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,877,204 times
Quote:
How many people in Delaware, Vermont, Maine, etc even know where or that New Mexico even exists?

I do! I do!! I have a friend who moved to New Mexico many years ago to be near her DD and DGK's and used to send the most beautiful photos back to us. I wouldn't give up Maine for NM, but I would definitely put it on the list of truly beautiful places. Would love to visit there sometime.

Old 08-11-2007, 03:21 PM

49 posts, read 159,697 times
Doesn't New Mexico have the hot air balloon festival? And I do know where New Mexico is by the way.
I was going to say people near Delaware would not forget about it but apparently I am wrong
I go to Delaware often, cheap cigarettes, Delaware park, outlets and I go drive through on my way to Ocean City. Also, a lot of companies I have dealt with are located there. I believe there is some tax benefit of doing business there.
My opinion on most forgotten state, one that I don't really care too much about would be Nebraska. I don't hear too much about that state.
I would say Montana too but I would like to visit there. Everyone I know who has been tells me it is beautiful.

Old 08-11-2007, 04:07 PM

430 posts, read 1,394,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Actually,you know,its not as much that people forget about certain states,because it would be pretty sad if you didn't know all 50 states in the US,its just that they don't care about certain states.
True for the most part. But sadly, there are also many who actualy don't know all 50 states! -Such is the state of public education in this country.

Old 08-11-2007, 04:20 PM

430 posts, read 1,394,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
What state do you think is the most overlooked, or forgotten about?

In my opinion, I think it would be one of the northernmost New England states, such as Vermont or Maine..

What are your opinions?
I would say:

New Mexico, South Dakota, Delaware, Montana. -In that order from most forgotten to least.

Those states are also (except for Delaware) some of the most "retro", behind the times (I don't mean this in a bad way) states in terms of culture, and, except for the high tech in New Mexico+Santa Fe (which hardly dominates the state) - as far as their economies go as well. But I don't think there is anything wrong with that at all. We need states like that, and they have much to offer.

Also, West virginia is even more retro, but it is less forgotten, and Delaware is forgotten mainly becuase of it's small size and not especialy notable in any other way, and it's geographic location. It just gets greatly overshadowed by it's more famous neighbors. -Emil.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:39 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtallredhead View Post
I would say:

New Mexico, South Dakota, Delaware, Montana. -In that order from most forgotten to least.
What about NORTH Dakota? Or did you forget it?

Old 08-13-2007, 12:41 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
Vermont doesn't have gay marriage... they have those bull**** civil unions... but hey... I guess its a stepping stone. The only state with actual gay marriage is Massachusetts, with New Jersey, and Vermon having civil unions.

you're right. sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.