Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 07:53 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
I expect Austin to hopefully have a metro of over 2 million. A city limit population of about 900,000. Hopefully they improve that joke of a rail system we have here and actually make it viable for everyday people. Other than that, I don't see TOO much changing.

Maybe a big ten town by then
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 08:53 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
To put this in perspective in the Carolinas, Wake County (NC) grew by more than the current total populatoin of Horry County in just the last decade.
That is mean.

Other cities could do the same to Raleigh-Cary.
Houston, Dallas and Atlanta's metro grew more last decade than the entire Raleigh metropolitan area population

Old 07-24-2011, 12:13 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,048,281 times
Charlotte should be around 940,000 people in the city.The metro and csa will gain any where from 300,000 to 1 million people again.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:47 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
Phoenix--larger and hotter.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:27 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,880,875 times
Most places in this country won't change a ton in the next ten years, mainly because consumer spending and government spending will be much lower compared to most decades. I expect very small change.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:43 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,547,429 times
I don't expect to see any massive changes in the Bay Area. Maybe a little shifting of demographics, but its already a pretty development, densely populated area. Maybe a little more "infilling" of vacant lots or small undeveloped spots within the cities and suburbs. More gentrification of the older areas (San Francisco, Oakland, Berkeley).

Old 07-24-2011, 01:46 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Most places in this country won't change a ton in the next ten years, mainly because consumer spending and government spending will be much lower compared to most decades. I expect very small change.
I disagree. Many metros will be stagnant while others will explode. When we look back, this decade will be no different than the previous one.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:00 AM

591 posts, read 866,489 times
Although hi-tech is recovering now, prices are so high real-estate-wise in Silicon Valley that I foresee it growing by about 20% maximum, basically more of the same, more crowded but not any land being cleared for the purpose (there ain't none left) of accomodating newcomers.

That's all predicated on IF Congress gets a budget passed and no default, which I am not holding my breath on. If the default happens, I foresee a negative growth of 25%.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:24 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,327,375 times
My city doesn't grow very quickly. (It went from about 80k in the 80s to about 120k now). However, There has been an increasing influx of peope to the area as new more trendy stores and new urbanist projects have begun making their presence felt. Local and national companies with branches in the area are hiring at an impressive clip, there is a small tech sector beginning to form, and unemployment is pretty low relative to the state and the Us. I think this may lead to an increase in the growth rate and possibly close to 140k people in 10 years. The overall metro including surrounding parishes is about 550k, so I think it could break 600k by then. It is separate from Baton Rouge to the east by a large swamp and to the west is Lake charles, with Houston 4 hours away, so that isn't a significant influence on the region. Lafayette/Acadiana is poised to grow.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:11 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,518,495 times
I see where I live (St. Louis area) having several possibilities. The city core is likely to stay like it has and be similar to Pittsburgh in terms of addition by subtraction. (meaning population loss but its where people moving out are less educated and poorer than those moving in, and gentrification causing some population loss too due to smaller household sizes and combining residential lots) Also of note is due to age of peopulation and rate of growth, it will still grow slowly but total workforce age population will start to decline, which could late in the decade create employee shortages. This could also be the decade where Hispanics actually become noticed here due to as of now having only about 2-3% of metro population.

National trends is going to depend on economic issues. If a so-so to bad economy is dominant this decade, immigration will be very slow and the risks increase for a rise in crime and/or racial tensions. The latter two could kill urban redevelopment and will cause sprawl to be more prominent regardless of economics of it, since it will be based on things that would overrule concerns along with now people telecommute or jobs leave cities for suburbs this time if it happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.