Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2007, 11:28 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,550,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Yes, the Northeast does have high taxes. But we are fixing that. We understand elderly people are leaving, which really doesn't bother me. NYC is the 2nd fastest growing city after Atlanta. We lose 1 elderly person, we gain thousands of families.

Here in VT we are loosing young people in droves. High taxes, high cost of living, not enough good jobs. It's a real problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 11:31 AM

3,295 posts, read 9,189,032 times
Quote:
Even if the whole state of NY declines, I'll still love it. Beautiful scenery, beautiful people , beautiful architecture, history, culture, food, shopping, sunniest state east of the Mississippi River,
I'm glad you enjoy NY and NYC..

But don't discount the rest of the eastern seaboard when it comes to beautiful scenery, architecture, history (heck all of the eastern seaboard is part of the original 13 colonies remember?), culture, and food.

I won't argue the point over sunniest...altho I wish we had some cloudy days right now...we need some. Liz

Old 08-20-2007, 11:38 AM

Quote:
He can make WNY appealing for businesses by fixing roads, abandoned buildings (which Buffalo and ROC have a lot of), etc..
That takes MORE tax money...which in turn means higher taxes. Which raises the COL. That would push the families just starting out down south.

Yes, they would take a pay cut but if you significantly lower the COL in return....

Liz

Old 08-20-2007, 05:16 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,501,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
That takes MORE tax money...which in turn means higher taxes. Which raises the COL. That would push the families just starting out down south.

Yes, they would take a pay cut but if you significantly lower the COL in return....

Liz
60% of New York State taxes go to NYC. If they even it out around the state and lowered them a bit more, WNY would be growing rapidly. And the state has plenty of money right now to spend even if taxes were decreased.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:24 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,501,684 times
Quote:
I'm glad you enjoy NY and NYC..

But don't discount the rest of the eastern seaboard when it comes to beautiful scenery, architecture, history (heck all of the eastern seaboard is part of the original 13 colonies remember?), culture, and food.

I won't argue the point over sunniest...altho I wish we had some cloudy days right now...we need some. Liz
No, I meant New York was the sunniest state east of the Mississippi River.

And I know the whole East Coast has history. But if you want the real old American history you’ll have to head up to MA, NY, and PA. The South does have some great food, but nothing that can’t be found here. NYC is the Melting Pot. We have people from everywhere in the country, everywhere in the world, bringing their cultures here making cultural diversity. We’re growing rapidly, and no matter how high taxes are, it will not stop.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:31 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,344,914 times
Quote:
Fixing them means cutting them...I don't see that happening in my lifetime.

Detroit and as an extension, MI, since that is a state I am familiar with...just moved from there due to lack of job...

This year's budget shortfall: $800 Million. Next year's shortfall: $1.9 TRILLION. Cutting taxes, not likely.

And they are one of the few states LOSING population.

Granted, MI is considered Midwest not Northeast but it is close to the line. And it is North.

Cutting them means cutting state/local budgets...can the northeast states wrap their heads around cutting their budgets by half or even two thirds to compete with the south? Liz
If Ohio rebounds enough we will help Michiganders and Detroit and turn it around. Nothing in return. No favors or anything. Just love your state. Michigan wont continue to slide to much if Ohio has anything to say about it. It could be a beautiful state and it has plenty of room to grow. The cold weather? Ain't nothing. Beautiful falls, springs and summers make up for the winters. Plus when it snows its beautiful and it can actually be very moderate feeling when its snowing. No sense in helping Michiganders if they don't want it though.

Same deal with upstate New York. A lot of Ohioans like that area that New Yorkers seem to neglect most of all. Its a beautiful place. Sell it to Ohio? I don't understand what all the commotion is about the weather. Its fine, if we just had a way to make the sun shine more and have less overcast frontal systems. Its not the cold that is as bad as it is the overcast days. Its like they're energy sappers.

Last edited by the_pines; 08-20-2007 at 05:48 PM..

Old 08-20-2007, 05:36 PM

Quote:
But if you want the real old American history you’ll have to head up to MA, NY, and PA.
Actually the OLDEST colony is IN NC. Roanoke Colony and the next oldest is in Virginia: Jamestown Settlement

The OLDEST European settlement in the New World is just a bit further south:
St Augustine.

Quote:
St. Augustine was founded by the Spanish in 1565. The first Christian worship service held in a permanent settlement in the current United States was a Catholic Mass celebrated in St. Augustine. A few settlements were founded prior to St. Augustine but all failed, including the original Pensacola colony in West Florida, founded by Tristán de Luna y Arellano in 1559, with the area abandoned in 1561 due to hurricanes, famine and warring tribes, and Fort Caroline in what is today Jacksonville, Florida in 1564. The city was founded by the Spanish admiral Pedro Menéndez de Avilés on September 8, 1565. Menéndez first sighted land on August 28, the feast day of Augustine of Hippo, and consequently named the settlement San Agustín. Martin de Arguelles was born here one year later in 1566, the first child of European ancestry to be born in what is now the United States. This came 21 years before the English settlement at Roanoke Island in Virginia Colony, and 42 years before the successful settlements of Santa Fe, New Mexico, and Jamestown, Virginia.
Head south for the really old. Liz

Old 08-20-2007, 09:12 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,311,239 times
Quote:
Actually the OLDEST colony is IN NC. Roanoke Colony and the next oldest is in Virginia: Jamestown Settlement

The OLDEST European settlement in the New World is just a bit further south:
St Augustine.

Head south for the really old. Liz
But if you want quantity of old American history the north has it. PA for example has the first 2 capitals of the US (York and Philly), Valley forge, and Gettysburg just to state obvious ones in a short entry.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:55 AM

Quote:
But if you want quantity of old American history the north has it. PA for example has the first 2 capitals of the US (York and Philly), Valley forge, and Gettysburg just to state obvious ones in a short entry.
We could go head to head for hours:
Williamsburg
Charleston
Savannah
New Bern
Wilmington, NC
Battle of Kings Mountain
Just a few for a short entry.

Like I said a few posts ago, the entire eastern seaboard is full of history. We are ALL part of the original 13 colonies. Liz

Old 08-21-2007, 09:17 AM

26 posts, read 219,079 times
I Love NY, and I've been down South.

Sorry to say, there was no "Southern Hospitality" where I went
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.