Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 10:46 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times

Advertisements

I do not think he is looking at working, I think he is going to work on an organic farm and get by as a hippie through peace love and rain collection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 11:01 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,450,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I do not think he is looking at working, I think he is going to work on an organic farm and get by as a hippie through peace love and rain collection.
hey bra, quit harshin my buzz...you're puttin off some bad vibes and totally messin up my feng shui

Old 08-05-2011, 11:37 AM

141 posts, read 381,569 times
Portland? Worst of both worlds? Or best, depending on how you look at it.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:36 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Seattle

Old 08-05-2011, 04:44 PM

381 posts, read 861,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
hey bra, quit harshin my buzz...you're puttin off some bad vibes and totally messin up my feng shui
That sentence sounds like a cross between a frat guy, a surfer, a hippie, and a new-age weirdo

Old 08-05-2011, 06:24 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Depends. Are you white? Are you Asian? Are you something else? What kind of job are you thinking? What's your tolerance for grey weather?

I really like Seattle. It is kind of like clean SF. There are lots of similar amenities. They Bay Area metro is much bigger, and more diverse. You can also find areas where there is a lot of intermixing. Not so much in Seattle. And there isn't much diversity in the city center.

The Bay Area has much better weather in my book. It is a lot greyer in Seattle. The Bay Area has rainy winter, but there are sunny days mixed in. And it is rarely grey more than 2 or 3 days in a row, even during rainy season (unless you are in SF or Daly City or Pacifica in the summer). Seattle, the grey sets in around October and doesn't really lift until May or June.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:47 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,936 times
There really isn't anything to go on; criteria, etc.

Offhand I think you'd be happy in both. If you had two jobs, both paying the same, you'd have way more left over in Seattle because housing costs are high but not the astronomical ridiculousness that is SF. So for COL Seattle beats the pants off SF, again assuming the same job for the same pay. You'd have to get paid at least $100k to scrape by in SF.

Both cities have good food scenes.

I find Seattle to be cleaner than SF. If that matters.

Seattle is less diverse ethnically but the smaller sizes doesn't mean their presence isn't felt here. There's definite varied asian and middle eastern vibes here. I would say that there's no Italian neighborhood in Seattle, so they lose out on that but that's basically it IMO.

Seattle IS cloudy a lot of the year... SF can have cold summer days, which seems odd to me.

Both are pretty close to amazing natural heritage. Seattle has more native american cultural impact if that matters to you. Seattle also has amazing mountains nearby and everything you could possibly want is literally within at most an hour's drive.

If you want urbanity without loss of density, diversity of public (and a lot of free transportation), uniqueness, a vibrant arts scene, and low cost of living, the choice is obvious ...

Portland! Heck they're even more liberal than Seattleites if that's what you want. Some of the things that SF and Portland do make Seattleites kinda make them turn circles besides their head and go "coo-coo!"

Old 08-07-2011, 11:39 AM

33 posts, read 43,980 times
I think OP should move to Seattle because it's cheaper and offers nearly the same sort of things as SF with a more beautiful backdrop, IMO.

However, their public transit could use some work.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:42 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedWestCoaster View Post
I like the liberal politics and big city feel of SF, but I also like the rain and closeness to Canada in Seattle. Not to mention it's cheaper. Which one should I move to?
Also, I won't have a car and will rely on public transportation.
I would say Frisco they are always looking for a few more.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:43 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
I would choose Seattle because it's not as expensive and not as much of a hassle.

I'm a fan of metros in the 2-4 million range. When they get bigger than that, the hassles of living there often make it impossible to take advantage of what the city offers even offers on a regular basic do to cost, traffic etc.

Last edited by kcmo; 08-07-2011 at 11:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.