Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2011, 08:47 PM

20 posts, read 103,494 times

Advertisements

So here's my deal.

I'm 22, born and raised in NYC but was forced to ship out to Florida when I was sixteen. Over the last six years, my thought has always been to get the hell out of dodge and get back to NYC where I belong, but I'm a bit paranoid about not being able to handle it financially (when in reality, I'm sure I could handle it).

Here's the thing: Currently, I make $3,000 a month, and my boyfriend makes anywhere between $2-3k a month as well, so I know we're more than capable of living lavishly in the city if we want to. The thing is that our job is unstable; if we lost the Internet, we'd lose our jobs. I realize no job is totally secure, but that doesn't really help my impending paranoia.

To ease that, he and I decided it may be best to move somewhere else for now that is considerably cheaper, especially on the chance that if we need to find real world jobs, we're more likely to afford our apartment. So the real question here is what other cities can you recommend that might fit my standards? I like suburban/urban cities with emphasis on public transportation and gets dastardly cold winters (seriously, I'm not made for this southern heat). I've been considering Chicago and Seattle, for starters.

Alternatively, someone can tell me to suck it up, you only live once, go move to New York because it's always been your bloody dream to return. In an emergency where we cannot afford the rent any longer, I do have family members who still reside in the area.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by shotty; 08-16-2011 at 09:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 09:28 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,819,554 times
What about Philadelphia or maybe an Upstate city like Albany, for example? You'd still be pretty close to family and both have public transportation that's at least decent.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:16 PM

20 posts, read 103,494 times
Yeah, I was looking at places like Syracuse and Schenectady also... I'd also been thinking that anywhere where I can take public transportation into NYC in under four hours (i.e., New Haven, Stamford) would also be acceptable.

I suppose my biggest problem too is that the "you only live once" side of me is telling me both that I should take it to mean move back to NYC at any cost and also that I should see the rest of the world while I am still young enough to do so.

Sigh, first world problems. :P

Old 08-17-2011, 10:46 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,867,759 times
How about living just outside of NYC (Manhattan) in a transit-convenient place that's more reasonable in terms of cost of living which would allow for "seeing the world while still young" and not bankrupting yourself? Check out Jersey City or Red Hook (Brooklyn).

Old 08-17-2011, 12:09 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
How about living just outside of NYC (Manhattan) in a transit-convenient place that's more reasonable in terms of cost of living which would allow for "seeing the world while still young" and not bankrupting yourself? Check out Jersey City or Red Hook (Brooklyn).
Good point. Perhaps Nyack, White Plains, Peekskill, parts of Yonkers, Beacon or some other Upstate community near a transit into NYC.

Another Upstate city you might like is Ithaca. It's a pretty diverse college town, with some things to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.