Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 12:15 AM

68 posts, read 139,523 times

Advertisements

Ok so iv'e been looking at all these post about what is NC. Is it southern etc & i'm tired of all the mess. First lets end this myth! NC is not the mid atlantic. Eastern NC has swamps spanish moss alligators cotton fields & slave plantations which ask yourself does that seem mid atlantic to you? & as for Charlotte/Raleigh area the southern charm is watered down but is it NOVA no its not. & the triad is still southern & especially small city NC. Ashville area naw but WNC oh yes! People have made this region up & the history of it is unclear but after doing research NY has more to do with this region than NC. And geographically NO! I mean the state is bordered by TN VA SC GA.Which VA has the least to do with it. South VA is southern which is the only part NC influences. Only extreme northeastern NC is influenced by VA. Thats a pretty small area. & also FL obviously makes NC even closely mid atlantic & FL is also the least southern. I mean I live under VA & I can get to FL in 7hrs! if i go 7hrs up ill b MD!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 06:32 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,161,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bram73 View Post
Eastern NC has swamps spanish moss alligators cotton fields & slave plantations which ask yourself does that seem mid atlantic to you?
Eastern NC has slave plantations? Somebody needs to tell them about the Emancipation Proclamation.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:38 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,598,916 times
So NC is mid atlantic OP? What does that make SC?

Old 09-08-2011, 08:27 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bram73 View Post
Ok so iv'e been looking at all these post about what is NC. Is it southern etc & i'm tired of all the mess. First lets end this myth! NC is not the mid atlantic. Eastern NC has swamps spanish moss alligators cotton fields & slave plantations which ask yourself does that seem mid atlantic to you? & as for Charlotte/Raleigh area the southern charm is watered down but is it NOVA no its not. & the triad is still southern & especially small city NC. Ashville area naw but WNC oh yes! People have made this region up & the history of it is unclear but after doing research NY has more to do with this region than NC. And geographically NO! I mean the state is bordered by TN VA SC GA.Which VA has the least to do with it. South VA is southern which is the only part NC influences. Only extreme northeastern NC is influenced by VA. Thats a pretty small area. & also FL obviously makes NC even closely mid atlantic & FL is also the least southern. I mean I live under VA & I can get to FL in 7hrs! if i go 7hrs up ill b MD!
Knowing history & geography is a valuable thing.

So eastern NC has swamps. So does South Jersey. Y'know those Pine Barrens frogs that you have? The Pine Barrens is in South Jersey, & the frogs exist there too.

You have slave plantations? Well, as has already been said, tell those slaves about the Emancipation Proclamation. Now after the Civil War, the 13th ammendment was passed. That freed slaves in the states that stayed in the Union. That included NJ, DE, & MD.

Where is the highest concentration of population in NC? That's right, the Piedmont. Who settled the Piedmont & where did their customs come from? Oh, yes, that would be people who came down the great Philadelphia Wagon Road, which came from . . .Philadelphia. As those people travelled south, many left family members along the way, in particular in the Shenandoah Valley. Some of those familes then moved south into western NC & what became East TN. You can track the family names back. Some are quite distinctive.

There is a reason that NC has long been considered to be both MidAtlantic & Southern. The MidAtlantic is the transition zone between the north (New England & NYC) & the South. That means that how southern the region is changes as you move south.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:02 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,320,136 times
why are we doing this again?

Listen to southbound. He is correct

Old 09-08-2011, 10:45 AM

37,888 posts, read 41,990,657 times
Have never seen any historical references to NC being considered mid-Atlantic, which is technically the same region in which Philly and NYC lie, although NC is close to the midpoint along the eastern seaboard. From a purely geographic standpoint it can be said to be mid-Atlantic, but I don't think that designation historically had to do with strict geographic boundaries; it seems to have (had) a cultural component to it also.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:20 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Have never seen any historical references to NC being considered mid-Atlantic, which is technically the same region in which Philly and NYC lie, although NC is close to the midpoint along the eastern seaboard. From a purely geographic standpoint it can be said to be mid-Atlantic, but I don't think that designation historically had to do with strict geographic boundaries; it seems to have (had) a cultural component to it also.
I'm a Baby Boomer. I was taught that the MidAtlantic consisted of NJ, PA, DE, MD, & VA, but sometime NY (minus NYC) &/or NC were included. There are other posters who have responded to this question in the past who are also boomers but who are natives, & they were taught the same. We actually had geography class in school.

There are distinct cultural ties between the Piedmont & the MidAtlantic (most specifically, Philadelphia, South Jersey, & Delaware.)

Old 09-08-2011, 11:53 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,834,607 times
There is no "definitive" answer about this; NC and VA are certainly considered Southern (once part of the Confederacy, natives usually have Southern accents, old-fashioned manners) but at the same time, in no way are we "Deep South" which generally means Mississippi, Alabama, and non-Atlanta Georgia. "New South" is a fairly recent term applied to these states and to the Atlanta region.

"Mid-Atlantic" is a loose term with no "official" definition (please see, but do no revive, the bizarre thread psoted recently about that!) and while NC is technically "Mid-Atlantic" in the sctrict geographic sense of being halfway from FL to Maine, typically 'Mid-Atlantic' refers to the mostly-urban corridor from NYC and DC. NC is sometimes called "South Atlantic" along with SC and GA, but again, there is no "One Right Answer" for this.

If you are held and gunpoint and forced to describe the state, say "Southern" or "New Southern". NC is not Mid-Atlantic in the league with NJ, Philadelphia, Baltimore, and DC any more than it is Deep South along with Alabama and Mississippi.

The real question is, why does this come up so often?

Old 09-08-2011, 12:21 PM

Lol I meant to say plantations of course the slaves are free. & like I said iv'e done A LOT of research on the mid atlantic & NC does not have any ties. You cant be southeastern and mid atlantic, that is a contradiction. I mean how is deep south SC and GA & you go up to NC and be in the mid atlantic. If thats true then where does the SE begin? & before NC & SC split they were one & while NC's history may not have been TYPICAL southern history it was still very southern just different. I mean wheres the mid atlantic culture Bojangles Golden Corral Texas Pete BBQ famous cuisine of the mid atlantic I mean South?? Lik i said northeastern NC is in the only part NC influenced by VA which is Mid Atlantic in the coastal part & NOVA. Trust me south central VA is southern just go to South Boston or Danville.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:08 PM

Because i feel like people think NC is a sell out state. I think people are constantly trying to make this state something it isn't. Its a dying state overan by Yankees. That really disturbs me. NC is just as southern as the other states only one part of the region has major cities. I live in Reidsville NC and I've been all over GA and SC and when i went to visit my family in rural GA we are more southern than them. This deep south stuff I think is crazy. just like my Ucle from GA said he moved here from Augusta in 1960 and move backed in 66 and then back in 74 and he said he could never tell the difference. I mean and even now you add Raleigh and Charlotte metro together and its still not bigger than ATL and neither is it as transplanted so I mean upper south deep south its all south just maybe in different ways as well as the same .
We Shall Not Be Moved - Trailer - YouTube
and this one
True Southern Belles (with real southern mississippi accents) - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.