Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 03:02 PM

68 posts, read 139,417 times

Advertisements

This is my last thing lol. I'm black & live in piedmont NC. I've come to love my state and decided to post something about the subject since I felt like people were being mislead. Ive been here all my life and had never heard NC as being mid-atlantic. Even growing up wanting to be a weather man watching the weather channel everyday. I never heard it. Even like my friends from DC they act and sound way different than my boys from here & SC. On my side of the rocks we are just as southern as the black people any where else. Even my Daddy who told me about how rednecks would beat you up spit on you and say all types of nasty stuff. I mean of course this is stereotypical trust me i know but sometimes it is what is.This happened in piedmont NC Winston Salem. And I know that racism is everywhere and that it happened all over USA but I'm telling you unless you lived in segregated south you have no clue. My daddys cousin from Baltimore even told me he hated to come visit. He said MD was races but NC was a new game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 03:53 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,278,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bram73 View Post
This is my last thing lol. I'm black & live in piedmont NC. I've come to love my state and decided to post something about the subject since I felt like people were being mislead. Ive been here all my life and had never heard NC as being mid-atlantic. Even growing up wanting to be a weather man watching the weather channel everyday. I never heard it. Even like my friends from DC they act and sound way different than my boys from here & SC. On my side of the rocks we are just as southern as the black people any where else. Even my Daddy who told me about how rednecks would beat you up spit on you and say all types of nasty stuff. I mean of course this is stereotypical trust me i know but sometimes it is what is.This happened in piedmont NC Winston Salem. And I know that racism is everywhere and that it happened all over USA but I'm telling you unless you lived in segregated south you have no clue. My daddys cousin from Baltimore even told me he hated to come visit. He said MD was races but NC was a new game.
I know NC is southern, but you just underscored one of the huge ties between NC and the mid-atlantic (especially for African Americans). The migration to DC, Baltimore, Philly and New York for jobs was huge (yes, discrimination). Times have changed and many of my relatives are attempting to come home after retirement (easier pace). Although, I was raised downeast NC, I have tons of relatives "up North"/mid-atlantic region and the birectional influence is extremely unique. I've heard DC referred to as "North Carolina North" given the vast number of folk in DC/MD that have family in North Carolina. For instance, unique music (DC go-go) and other culture from DC (in the African American community) is commonly heard in VA and NC, but doesn't resonate beyond parts of NC.

Sure other southern states had a lot of African Americans that relocated but many southern states (SC, Miss, Alabama etc) had Atlanta. African Americans from NC headed up I-95 (especially central/eastern NC). Other than VA which is considered mid-atlantic, there isn't another southern state with that kind of attachment to the mid-atlantic region as North Carolina.

North Carolina is unmistakenly southern, but there is significant linkage to the mid-atlantic region that is undeniable. This is one example.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:23 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
During the 20th century, many blacks from VA & NC went to Philadelphia & South Jersey. Many whites also went there. Why? because it was an area that was comfortable for them. Many of the same customs were in that area. The ties to the MidAtlantic were never completely broken.

The older buildings in NC have the same architecture that is found in the MidAtlantic.

Years ago, I was told by a South Carolinian that she did not like Philadelphia, because it was nothing more than an overgrown version of Charlotte. This was in the '70s.

Can you get hush puppies eveywhere in Philadelphia & South Jersey? No, but you can get them with minimal effort.

Cherryville has their New Years Shooters. Philadelphia has the Mummers Parade. These come from the same ethnic groups & are different versions of the same customs.

Is North Carolina the South? Yes. Is NC the MidAtlantic? Yes. It is both.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:58 PM

HEY guess what i talked to this girl today in my class and she loves livermush lol! (I hate it) I asked her is NC the south or the mid-atlantic. She said the SOUTH with emphasis. I told her about the livermush story and she told me most of her family is here so i want to know what her parents think and told her to ask her paents. You hit the nail on the head NC does not do gogo!! music except for IM GUESSING northeastern NC because of Norfolk VA. We hate that stuff!! neither do we do baltimore club music. They even call gogo the DMV! Because it originated in DC MD VA. Look at Petey Pablo for example and how he raps. A lot of people dont consider VA to be in the dirty south neither do they consider TX sometimes but thats a different matter. Sure some people listen to it but so does my girlfriend from SC. I mean do you know how uncomfortable i felt going to MD! I know you've seen the Big rims on Chevys and old school cars/ thats a southern thing a lot of people in VA and DC think thats stupid and especially up North folk they think we a bunch of bamas. We be like yall are crazy. Trust me if you see that past south VA they got it from us. For example (i got fam in GA too) when i go to GA our lengo is so much the same its crazy. But go to Richmond and I be like who say what did who and they say the same thing to me. Sure due to the closeness of NC to the mid-atlantic i get the ties. But people act like we dont have ties to SC in which we do of course. I'm telling you SC eats livermush too and they do theirs low country style how do i know iv'e seen it it was like a festival. I'm telling you just look at the german ancestors in FL TX GA and SC I just feel like if the common definition is correct. The very fact that when i look at the mid-atlantic map goes to show how unclear it is. And NC shows up in the map like every blue moon! some even say SC is the mid atlantic thats stupid. The most credible thing I got was washington post. I know wikipedia is not credible but look at their map and history of the mid-atlantic. NC is a southeastern state with some mid atlantic ties. Due to the cloesness of NC to the mid-atlantic the state does hold some ties such as buildings & some foods etc. Trust i get what you all are saying but the states south & east of us do have ties to this NC as well. Just look at the East TN voting back in the day for the civil War. Amazingly similar to western NC etc. Check this out
Xtra (2 Much) - Mr. Commercial, Tigo B. & Blac Boi - YouTube See the diff?
Wale - The Break Up Song (Full Official Version) - YouTube

Old 09-10-2011, 01:14 AM

Again not saying that NC doesnt have ties to the mid-atlantic but obviously whatever was mid atlantic has been mostly southernized if thats a word. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HIpRRxta4wfunny you should look at the comments to the video.

Last edited by bram73; 09-10-2011 at 01:27 AM..

Old 09-10-2011, 09:48 AM

OK, I see where you're coming from. Here's where I'm coming from.

I looking at it historically, including the colonial period & the Civil War. I am descended from James Mendenhall, a Quaker. Jamestown, NC is named for him. That particular branch of the Mendenhall family was involved with the Underground Railroad. During the Civil War, a young man, Tilghman Vestal, who was descended from the same Mendenhall branch was imprisoned for refusing to serve or pay a $500 fine for not serving. He was, at one point, interviewed by the governor of Tennessee, which is where he had moved, from North Carolina, prior to the onset of the war. The governor was not sympathetic at all. Two other Quakers, who were residents of NC received pardons from Governor Vance. This is a very short version of what went on, but you get the idea. The Picket Line

I'm also looking at this from the standpoint of living in the MidAtlantic for over 40 years, prior to moving here to NC. I am comparing small towns to small towns & big cities to big cities.

Also, I am comparing views of blacks & whites (and males & females) of various ages, although older. After moving to the town where I currently live in the Piedmont, I asked a cross section of people who are all natives, do you think that this is the South or the MidAtlantic? Strangely enough, they all said the same thing. The answers all turned out to be that they felt that NC was never, in their lifetimes, the deep South, but it used to be a bit more southern than now. They all said that they felt that North Carolina is MidAtlantic. Now, these were all people who range from about 50 up and most have family in the MidAltantic. I asked those people because back then everyone learned history & geography as separate classes in school. People in that range have also experienced more social change. I did not give my opinion prior to asking, so it was not a factor in their answer.

NC is a very large state. Obviously, there are differences in different areas. If someone feels that the state is only the South, then that's what it is to them. If someone feels that it is strictly MidAtlantic, then that's what it is to them. My opinion is that it is both.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:42 AM

I see what you are saying. This just goes to show how diverse the south is. I mean there is some parts of louisiana that have know feeling of south at all. I mean those people sounded like they were from boston lol if it wasnt for the heat i wouldnt have known where i was. Its crazy stuff for the south. Is things southwest, southeast, mid-atlantic, western??? Its a crazy world. Lol.

Old 09-11-2011, 04:02 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,195,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
After moving to the town where I currently live in the Piedmont, I asked a cross section of people who are all natives, do you think that this is the South or the MidAtlantic? Strangely enough, they all said the same thing. The answers all turned out to be that they felt that NC was never, in their lifetimes, the deep South, but it used to be a bit more southern than now. They all said that they felt that North Carolina is MidAtlantic. Now, these were all people who range from about 50 up and most have family in the MidAltantic. I asked those people because back then everyone learned history & geography as separate classes in school. People in that range have also experienced more social change.
That's interesting, but does not relate to my experience. Considering my family ties run deep and long between Mount Holly and Riverbend I feel imminently qualified to point out that 'round this part of the state we do now, and have ALWAYS known NC to part of the South, no ifs ands or buts. None. Now it's the New South, but it's still the South. That sentiment, in my long experience runs from Murphy to Manteo. Watching a bunch of johnny-come-lately transplants argue otherwise to soothe their senses is amusing though. Whatever you need to help you sleep at night, I guess.

And face it folks, if you're kids are born here they're Southern too. Lucky for them.

Old 09-11-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
That's interesting, but does not relate to my experience. Considering my family ties run deep and long between Mount Holly and Riverbend I feel imminently qualified to point out that 'round this part of the state we do now, and have ALWAYS known NC to part of the South, no ifs ands or buts. None. Now it's the New South, but it's still the South. That sentiment, in my long experience runs from Murphy to Manteo. Watching a bunch of johnny-come-lately transplants argue otherwise to soothe their senses is amusing though. Whatever you need to help you sleep at night, I guess.

And face it folks, if you're kids are born here they're Southern too. Lucky for them.
I've said in these threads that in my opinion it's both. Apparently, you have a problem with that. Please point out what I've posted that is incorrect.

I've heard from a number of older people who are natives about the links between NC & the areas which are consistantly known as MidAtlantic. It was volunteered without prompting from me. Most of them either worked with or were neighbors of Philadelphia mill workers who followed the mills down.

Just in case you doubted what I said about the link between the Philadelphia Mummers & the Cherryville shooters, here's a link. Cherryville Shooters History-Chant

Old 09-11-2011, 06:42 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,195,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I've said in these threads that in my opinion it's both. Apparently, you have a problem with that. Please point out what I've posted that is incorrect.

I've heard from a number of older people who are natives about the links between NC & the areas which are consistantly known as MidAtlantic. It was volunteered without prompting from me. Most of them either worked with or were neighbors of Philadelphia mill workers who followed the mills down.

Just in case you doubted what I said about the link between the Philadelphia Mummers & the Cherryville shooters, here's a link. Cherryville Shooters History-Chant
It's not a challenge, it's an observation. And I've posted what I think about it. My grandfather retired as president of Leaksville Woolen Mill, so I grew up steeped in the textile culture. I had sconces on my walls made of loom shuttles for goodness' sake. I never knew any of those men to wax about being in the "mid Atlantic" or following anyone from Philly or any other town. Textiles pretty much died in this area by the mid eighties... WAY before the rush of Yankee transplants were here spreading fancies about NC being anything other than a charter member of Dixie. Still buffered from the northern heathens by dear old Virginia who was left on the border to bear the brunt of the Yankee onslaught.

By some of the "association" logic being applied here we ought to just call ourselves England, or France or Germany and be done with it.

But go ahead, call NC "mid Atlantic" if you wish. No harm in that. Some folks may even buy into the notion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.