Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 02:19 PM

37 posts, read 57,155 times

Advertisements

Love the vids man but heres really why i like what youre saying. First off i lived in AL for 16 years and you're right everbody from there does not have these thick long drawn out accents like people think I dont have one and alot of my friends from there dont have them either, were southern but not like all these people think. For example FL,LA,TX,GA,SC,MS,AL all of these states are in the deep south right and some are debatable. But in reality none of these states are really the same!! If you go to LA like i have been to a many of times i find it hard to compare it to alabama other than the fact that we have swamps and gators. They sound different its does not feel like bama. Now MS it does feel like alabama and GA Except for the Atl metro (sidenote charlotte feels more southern to me). I've been to N florida as well because first my Grandparents retired there and even N Florida feels kinda not really as southern as people say but i will say it is southern. SC i lived there and yes SC does feel like bama but here's the catch for some reason parts of NC in the Piedmont! felt just as southern....wonder why? And now i have never been to east TX but i have been to East NC and for some reason when i was in New Bern NC It looked and felt similar to AL....wonder why?? I seen spanish moss all that stuff in new bern now i dont even see that in North BAMA! I think what Bram73 is trying to say is southern state is southern state all have differences and all have similarities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 03:37 AM

62 posts, read 159,564 times
NC is without a doubt culturally and geographically in the southeastern USA.

To those saying NC is in the middle between florida and maine need to open their eyes, because the exact middle point lies in the middle of VA.

And you almost never see NC ever being included as ''mid atlantic''. Not from noaa, the weather channel, wikipedia, anything of the sort. The mid atlantic consists of Virginia through NY.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:37 PM

37 posts, read 57,155 times
From almost the tip of Maine to the tip of NC is roughly a 19 hour drive and from the tip of NC to Miami florida is a 14 and 1/2 hour drive. From Greensboro to FL is a 7hr20min drive. From Greensboro to Maine is 15 hours on the dot. From wilmington NC to Fl is 6 and a half. From wilmington to Maine is 16 and a half. You get my point you can mapquest me on my information. What im trying to say is first off not one state in the south is FL. Not one state is father south etc. Nothing is beside florida or south of it and not to mention nothing looks like it. Sure southern states LA SC NC AL etc has palmettos but nothing like Florida, florida can almost remind you of the US virgin islands in huge ways i mean there is a large cuban population in FL. I mean a lot of people say culturally FL is way different than other southern states. Another thing to your peripheral at a glance sure NC can look like its in both the south and mid-atlantic but really think about how stupid that is to classify something just off sight and no research. First off Florida is the largest state in the southeast. GA is the second and NC is in the third. Florida is extremely!!! long while NC is horizontal and GA is vertcal. The three biggest states in the south east are all connected so of coure your eyes can play tricks on you i mean just look at NC all the way to Maine REALLY LOOK AT IT!! thats a long way from NC period. thats a long way from VA. And Fl i mean if you live in talahasee youre not bout to drive to Miami. Fl is big!! Its like people say forget that NC is bordered by two deep south states and TN/VA. its 3 states under NC's line and 11 on top people use your heads!!!

Last edited by tre2290; 09-28-2011 at 02:59 PM..

Old 09-28-2011, 02:55 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBadBrah View Post
The mid atlantic consists of Virginia through NY.
VA is very much debatable itself and is not historically considered mid-Atlantic. I mostly see the designation consisting of the states between MD and NY.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:03 PM

797 posts, read 1,430,087 times
N.C is southern it just happends to be very progressive i mean V.A. is southern but yet has alot of mid atlantic qualities. Ppl have to also look at things like architecture and the way cities are built Charlotte is basicly a smaller Atl and all the N.C. cities are suburban like. Do you see any dense urban cores or row house cites in N.C.(and not like in Charleston or Savannah either)? You can find these qualities somewhat in V.A. and even more so as you go further north.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:32 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
Do you see any dense urban cores or row house cites in N.C.(and not like in Charleston or Savannah either)? You can find these qualities somewhat in V.A. and even more so as you go further north.
I'd say the densest, most historic urban cores in NC belong to Winston-Salem, Wilmington, and Asheville. New Bern gets the nod for a small city/town.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:15 PM

62 posts, read 159,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
VA is very much debatable itself and is not historically considered mid-Atlantic. I mostly see the designation consisting of the states between MD and NY.

thats a good point. The only reason VA gets thrown in there is because of NOVA. But geographically speaking, i definitely think VA is literally dead center. Considering the exact middle point from the top of maine to the tip of florida falls right in the middle of VA.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:23 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Someone earlier in this thread mentions alligators. I knew SC had them, but I wasn't aware they were in NC, too.

Which leads me to wonder--where does the northernmost alligator live? I don't need his name or address--just a general idea of where alligator-world stops.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:49 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
The Mason-Dixon line IMO is too far north. Maryland and Delaware, and also D.C., have much more in common today with Pennsylvania and New Jersey than with Virginia. The ideal Mason-Dixon line should be the Kansas-Oklahoma border, snaking across far southern Missouri to the Ohio River, to the Pennsylvania and West Virginia to Maryland-Virginia border. That's the most accurate cultural and climatalogical representation of it I can describe.
Good God! Do you have any clue what the Mason-Dixon line is? Apparently not, if you think it should be moved..

The King of England gave land grants to the Calvert family & to William Penn. The grants overlapped. People were killing each other over the overlap. The Calverts were claiming Philadelphia & the Penns claimed Baltimore, each rightly so. A compromise was reached & Mr Mason & Mr Dixon put markers on the line, many of which are still there. The line was co-opted to use for the slavery question. It's nothing other than a state line.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:51 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Someone earlier in this thread mentions alligators. I knew SC had them, but I wasn't aware they were in NC, too.

Which leads me to wonder--where does the northernmost alligator live? I don't need his name or address--just a general idea of where alligator-world stops.
The sewers in NYC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.