Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2010, 04:17 PM

871 posts, read 2,248,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Quote "Then hell I say it again there ethnicity is white American not broadly "American", there not the central essence of what a American is, they don’t have a neutral American culture, their culture is a spin off there European heritage, and they don’t care about the native culture only the point in which there ancestors came. The ethnocentricity come into play the fact “they're not considerate of other ethnic groups in America, Asian American, Arab American, African American even Native Americans” base on their heritage “white southerners” they deem themselves neutrally American. " instead of European or white southerns.
um...does this mean you agree with me? at least in the sense that white southerners are, indeed an ethnic group.

once again, they trace their ancestry to america, because their ethnicity is "white southerner", the south is in america. but yea, it would be more precise if they marked "white american", or "white southerner". you cant just assume that they are doing so because they believe they are the only americans. you dont know how the question was worded. but it seems like now this is an issue of terminology, as opposed to earlier when it was an issue of whether or not they were an ethnic group at all

Last edited by JimmyJohnWilson; 04-18-2010 at 04:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 04:58 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
um...does this mean you agree with me? at least in the sense that white southerners are, indeed an ethnic group.

once again, they trace their ancestry to america, because their ethnicity is "white southerner", the south is in america. but yea, it would be more precise if they marked "white american", or "white southerner". you cant just assume that they are doing so because they believe they are the only americans. you dont know how the question was worded. but it seems like now this is an issue of terminology, as opposed to earlier when it was an issue of whether or not they were an ethnic group at all
The heritage white southerners have did not start from the stone age but from a spin off from their European heritage. I agreed they have a shared heritage and I have nothing against that, I don’t agree with their ethnicity being “American” every ethnic group in America by that sense ethnicity is “American” even those that don't share their heritage with white southerners. Which would again make the idea of making “American” as their ethnicity pointless because everyone would be.

What was the question? what your nationality? and it just a coincidence that white southerners are doing it and not African Americans, Asian Americans and etc. How come they're the only ones that got those forums to interrupted the questions that way?

Old 04-18-2010, 05:10 PM

871 posts, read 2,248,513 times
Quote:
The heritage white southerners have did not start from the stone age but from a spin off from their European heritage. I agreed they have a shared heritage and I have nothing against that, I don’t agree with their ethnicity being “American” every ethnic group in America by that sense ethnicity is “American” even those that don't share their heritage with white southerners. Which would again make the idea of making “American” as their ethnicity pointless because everyone would be.
all of that i agree with. except i wouldnt use the term "spin-off", but i understand what you mean.

[also, keep in mind that modern mexican culture is truly a blend of spanish and native culture, and is really not that old.]

Quote:
What was the question? what your nationality? and it just a coincidence that white southerners are doing it and not African Americans, Asian Americans and etc. How come they're the only ones that got those forums to interrupted the questions that way?
that probably has to do with the fact that whites are the dominant group. but yes, they should mark "white american", or "white southerner" to specify themselves ethnically from african americans (and others). but we dont know what options they were given to pick from, and how all of this went down.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:33 AM

27 posts, read 35,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
^ Than there would be no point of the survey than! because almost everyone would just put American and the point of the survey is to find out where in different parts of the countries where the people's ancestrys are, not to say where you are originally from
Yeah...there is not a lot of point in a lot of the things the government does. Maybe the survey is just stupid, unless you are actually from another country. Ever think about that!

Old 04-19-2010, 08:36 AM

27 posts, read 35,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divinemom View Post
Interesting replies here and I learned some things I've never considered before. I consider myself European American. My great grandparents and those before them emigrated from Europe. I am proud to have a European backgroud and have studied much about Europe's grand history. I am raising my kids to learn about Europe and take them there in about two years when they can appreciate the place. The US seems to have only 1 goal - serve big business, something I don't share.
And the Europeans goal seems to be to serve big government.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:45 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcatp View Post
Being a southerner that hates everything redneck all I can put is American. Both sides of my family have been over in this land since at least the 1650s with many many many different nationalities marrying in with one another. This is not including any Native Americans that are known to be in my family tree. So do you suggest I mark almost every single one that I know about even though I don't feel many ties to being a very small part Irish except on St. Patrick's day? Give me a break. It is not being redneck marking American, it is a result of my family being here over 350 years.
I am of multiple ancestries as well (Irish, French, Swedish, etc.). The furthest back I have been able to go was a French emigre' who came here in 1792. Basically I only know about 1/8 of two of my grandparent's ancestries, so you are lucky that you have been able to trace your ancestry back that far.

That being said, I would still attempt to answer the question by giving them what I believe to be my dominant ancestry because they are asking "From what nation can you trace your lineage?" If you cannot answer, then don't even try!

The funny thing is that the census actually felt the need to fill in the answers for the people who answered "American", treating them like little impetuous children:

"Areas with the largest "American" ancestry populations were mostly settled by some English, French, Welsh, Scottish and Irish; but by an overwhelming majority of Scots-Irish."

Last edited by Mr. Joshua; 04-20-2010 at 07:53 AM..

Old 04-20-2010, 06:18 PM

843 posts, read 1,432,165 times
Well from what I have seen in my genealogy I do have Welsh, Scottish, Irish, French, German with some Native American. But I can only trace my paternal grandfather's family and my maternal grandmother's maiden name family (just the men and some of their wives). In the scheme of things these are but a small portion of my heritage.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:22 PM

648 posts, read 1,618,866 times
I think they should put American on the census. As a native Russian, it is funny to me when people born and raised in America claim to be Italian or Irish or German or Russian when the only time they have been to those countries, if at all, is on a trip. You are Americans and only Americans, it is not 1910 anymore.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:18 AM

2 posts, read 8,770 times
America is the greatest country in the history of the world... period! Why not be proud to be an American? And why hang onto someplace you left behind? The problems were are having in America today stem from people that want to come to America for what they can get for themselves, while hanging onto the culture and ways of their country of origin. If you don't love being an American, and are not interested in learning our ways (the ways that made our country great), please LEAVE, and don't let the border door hit you on the bottom!!!

Old 06-20-2010, 09:21 AM

573 posts, read 2,058,889 times
3) They don't know what they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.