Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2010, 05:24 PM

736 posts, read 1,695,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Most white Southerners are descendents of the Scots-Irish or Ulster Scots, which were Scotsmen who relocated to the northern counties of Ireland, or present day Northern Ireland, in the 1600s.
I read somewhere that because of most white Southerners having this descent, they have similar facial features. So a white person from elsewhere in the US would look slightly "different" in the face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 07:37 PM

276 posts, read 476,928 times
I was born in Winchester MA. That makes me an American.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:22 PM

184 posts, read 438,280 times
I'm like a sixth generation American so why would I put down some other ancestry?!?! LOL. I'm AMERICAN HELLO!

Old 10-15-2010, 06:47 PM

116 posts, read 216,937 times
  • Their family and ancestors may have been in North America for a very long time. There ancestors probably arrived here in the 1700s or the early 1800's.
  • They may be patriotic.
  • They may not know their exact ethnicity or ethnicities.
  • A person may identify as American because they don't identify with their ethnic origin, or they have multiple ancestries/ethnicities. For example, a person who is 1/4 German, 1/4 French, 1/4 Swedish, 1/8 Irish, and 1/8 English may choose to identify their self as American because no one ethnicity dominates their bloodline and lineage.
I'm a mixture of Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, Finnish, and French. However, if I'm asked about my ethnicity, I'll just state that I'm Scandinavian and French. My nationality is American. My race is white/Caucasian. My ethnicities are Scandinavian and French

Very good point nationality is different from ethnicity which is different from race. Those of us who were born here are American as far as nationality but no one is ethnically/racially American except maybe Native Americans or anyone who lived in America in the pre-Columbian era.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:49 PM

116 posts, read 216,937 times
Sorry I didn't copy your post right by the way I'm American, Irish ethnicity and white.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:41 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,576,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanm83 View Post
  • Their family and ancestors may have been in North America for a very long time. There ancestors probably arrived here in the 1700s or the early 1800's.
  • They may be patriotic.
  • They may not know their exact ethnicity or ethnicities.
  • A person may identify as American because they don't identify with their ethnic origin, or they have multiple ancestries/ethnicities. For example, a person who is 1/4 German, 1/4 French, 1/4 Swedish, 1/8 Irish, and 1/8 English may choose to identify their self as American because no one ethnicity dominates their bloodline and lineage.
I fit all of this. I can't trace my ancestry much past six or so generations on any branch of my family. All of them were Texan except for one great grandparent and his ancestors. The only reason I have any idea what I am ethnically is because of last names. I don't know what proportions, but I know that I am English, Irish, Scottish, Welsh, Scotch-Irish, French, German, Czech, and Native American. There is even some speculation that there is some African American in our background. What else could I put on a census form but American?

Old 10-16-2010, 10:52 AM

528 posts, read 1,185,315 times
hey here's another observation: there is an ancestry on that map called "Hispanic/Spanish" - first of all, Hispanic and Spanish are not the same thing. People from Spain don't call themselves Hispanic (to my knowledge), and there's no country called "Hispanic".

Old 10-17-2010, 12:55 AM

736 posts, read 1,695,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toredyvik View Post
hey here's another observation: there is an ancestry on that map called "Hispanic/Spanish" - first of all, Hispanic and Spanish are not the same thing. People from Spain don't call themselves Hispanic (to my knowledge), and there's no country called "Hispanic".
And some people, both black and white, refer to Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, etc., as "Spanish". That annoys me.

Old 10-17-2010, 01:42 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3divina View Post
And some people, both black and white, refer to Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, etc., as "Spanish". That annoys me.
I know Puerto Ricans, Nicaraguans, and Hondurans that call themselves Spanish almost as much as they do Latino/Latina and Hispanic.
Personally, I feel like lumping Hispanics under Spanish is no better or worse than affixing Afro in front of the ethnicity of most Black people around the world that have no direct link to Africa.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:04 AM

5 posts, read 11,215 times
I am an Irish-American. When my Catholic family came to the States from Ireland in the 1860s they fought for the Union. They didn't receive the persecution that the ones back home in Ireland received from the English and the Irish Protestants but they still lived among their own for many decades and developed a hybrid culture that was uniquely Amerixcan and Irish. I'd say that after Kennedy's election in 1960 really made the Irish-Americans bonafide Americans. I think we cling to an Irish-American identity because we're Catholic and we don't quite like all of the things that WASP American represents. I think Southerners don't care about their ethnic group because it's more important to be from the South than anything else. People from the South are Southerners before they're American. Americans from the South also conform more because to be different is something they can't stand. They all are Baptists, college football fans and vote Republican because that's what southerners do. I still like them however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.